PDA

View Full Version : Wylie/Sweewater article from Abilene paper

Adidas410s
10-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Bulldogs Rein in Mustangs
By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
October 7, 2005

SWEETWATER — Somebody forgot to tell the Wylie defense about Sweetwater’s explosive offense.

The Mustangs came into Friday’s District 4-3A showdown with No. 10 Wylie with a No. 3 state ranking and an offense that had averaged 41 points per game. But Sweetwater could only manage three points against an inspired Wylie defense in the Bulldogs’ 26-3 win.

"This is the worst I’ve ever wanted it in my life" Wylie nose guard Jared Robertson said. "We picked it up and got the job done."

Robertson put the close game away when he blew-up an exchange from Sweetwater quarterback Sonny Birdwell to fullback Justin Adames. The all-state nose guard returned the fumbled ball 35 yards for a touchdown that made the game 20-3 with 10:22 left in the fourth quarter.

"Two series before, Jared said ‘Let’s go knock the ball lose and score’, and he did" Wylie defensive lineman Britton Barbee said. "I’m not gonna lie, I’m jealous."

The Sweetwater defense was up for the challenge early, keeping the game scoreless through the first quarter, but Wylie got on the board first with a 1-yard Keenum touchdown plunge early in the second quarter. The score was set up when Keenum found Justin Skinner for a 24-yard gain on fourth-and-5 from the Sweetwater 25.

Sweetwater answered with a 13-play drive that finally stalled when Skye Green was stopped at the line of scrimmage on third-and-goal from the 4. Freshman Rufus McCann, filling in for the injured Parker Morrow, nailed a 21-yard field goal but it was called back by an offsides penalty.

McCann’s second attempt, a line-drive kick from 5 yards back, hit the bottom of the goalpost but bounced up and through to cut the Wylie lead in half.

Wylie’s Tyler Driskill was lined-up to stretch the Bulldogs’ lead to 9-3 just before the half with a 37-yard field goal, but never got the chance to kick the ball as the snap couldn’t be handled.

What many thought would be an offensive shootout went into the half as a 6-3 defensive struggle.

"I thought both teams’ defenses would step up after last week’s game, and ours really did," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. "Our defense continued to make plays and stops, and I was very proud of them."

At the half, the Wylie defense had held the heralded duo of Green and Joseph Banyard to a combined 52 rushing yards. Auston Davis, who wasn’t even on Wylie’s scouting report for the game, led Sweetwater with 46 rushing yards at the half.

The Mustangs offense looked to rebound after receiving the kickoff to start the second half. Green doubled his running total on his first carry of the half, but defensive back Taylor Rand intercepted a Birdwell pass at the Wylie 38 to end the drive.

The Wylie offense made the most of the Sweetwater turnover, marching 62 yards in just five plays for a touchdown. Tight end Matt Smith, who had dropped a pass for a sure first down in the first half, was on the receiving end of Keenum’s only touchdown strike of the game.

"He made up for it big time," Keenum said.

The Wylie defense continued to dominate the game. Green and Banyard, who had both averaged more than 10 yards per carry coming into the game, finished with nine rushes for 53 yards and 13 for 54, respectively.

"I expected us to get burned a couple times," Robertson said.

Keenum put an exclamation mark on the game with a 24-yard touchdown run on an option keeper with four minutes on the clock.

The win was a definite statement for the Bulldogs, as Friday’s game was the state’s most anticipated matchup of the week and, to some, of the season. If there was any doubt as to whether or not Wylie is a legitimate contender, that doubt is now gone.

"That’s a Wylie community win," Keenum said. "We had a lot of (former players) come out. The fans, the sidelines, the cheerleaders — everybody. That was all Wylie right there."

Contact sports writer Jason Weddle at weddlej@reporternews.com or 676-6771.

injuredinmelee
10-08-2005, 05:12 AM
there were alot of former players at the game.
I think if Sweetwater can get a healthy Carrillo back and some of the other injured guys this team will go as far as they want in the playoffs.

Ranger Mom
10-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Haven't read all the threads, but was wondering....what was the crowd like?

Was the stadium full?

Adidas410s
10-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Was the stadium full?

at least until the middle of the 4th quarter when Wylie went up 20-3 it was. There were even some people sitting in the concrete endzones.

Snyder_TigerFan
10-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Was the stadium full?

I didn't think that it was any fuller than what it usually is when Snyder plays Sweetwater.

sweetwater07
10-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I didn't think that it was any fuller than what it usually is when Snyder plays Sweetwater.

that sounds about right.....not too many more ppl than usual for a district game against either school....