PDA

View Full Version : PI Tarpons get 1st win !!!

footballgal
10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Tarpons get the monkey off their backs, with a win over the favorited Lyford Bulldogs; Final score PI 27- Lyford 17

Great win for the Tarpons after a heartbreak loss last week, to Hidalgo Pirates 34- 24. In that match-up Tarpons were leading going into the 4th, where the inexpeirence showed up and lost it in the 4th... But tonight, they fought all 4qts, and showed improvement from last week, next stop is Raymondville Bearkats; then on to La Feria and then to Rio Hondo, who currently leads the district at 3-0, the the Tarps close the district race with Progreso, followed by an open week and hopefully to a bi-district game after that. (but alot before that can happen)

Again Congrats Tarpons! keep up the hard work! :clap:

SintonFan
10-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Congratulations PI!:clap: You know we're rooting for you.:clap:

pirate4state
10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
:cheerl: woo-hoo :thumbsup: I saw this first on FSN Scoreboad Live & jumped out of my seat and yelled "PI won a game!" :D A sign of good things to come at the right moment!! :thumbsup:

Aren't you living in Lyford FBG? :thinking: I'm sure it isn't hard to root for PI though. :D

footballgal
10-08-2005, 08:13 AM
thanks guys! Nah, pirate4state, I live in La Feria, but yeah your right, I have no problem with rooting for PI, I having been doing for a while now, since I lived in PI. My kids are fans as well. :D

footballgal
10-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Lyford drops second straight in 27-17 setback

http://www.valleystar.com/content/articles/2005/10/08/sports/sports7.jpg
Gabe Hernandez/Valley Morning Star
Port Isabel's Marky Villarreal runs through a huge hole against the Lyford Bulldogs on Friday night. The Tarpons beat Lyford for their first win of the year.
By DARYL GONZALES
Star correspondent

LYFORD - The Lyford Bulldogs seemed to have a 'Coco' hangover as they dropped Friday night's game to Port Isabel, 27-17.

Meanwhile the beleaguered Tarpons seemed primed and ready to prove a point in 32-3A coming out the gate.

On the opening drive of the game, it took the Tarpons nine plays to find themselves with seven on the board after a 3-yard Mark Villarreal rushing touchdown. The Tarpons (1-4 overall, 1-1 district) never looked back. He would finish the night with 129 yards on 16 carries and two TDs.

The Bulldogs (4-2 overall, 1-1 district) would turn the following eight-play drive into three on the board, coming on a Frank Hernandez field goal. But a week after being steamrolled by Brownsville St. Joe and their star runner, Coco Martinez, Lyford lost again.

Tarpon quarterback Carr Grienier then showed off his skills by airing it out to Manuel Gonzales for a 26-yard TD pass, making it 14-3, Tarpons at the end of the first quarter.

The Bulldogs would fumble on the first play of the ensuing drive, giving the Tarpons the ball back on the Lyford 45.

Once again, the Tarpons showed why they can not be counted out of the district race despite a slow start, turning the Bulldog fumble into another seven points. The drive was capped off by a Ralph Valdez 1-yard TD burst with 9:30 in the second quarter.

"I thought that we moved the ball around really well during the first half, I think that we accomplished what we set out for ourselves," Tarpon head coach Monty Stumbaugh commented.

An offensive scoring drive by the Bulldogs was sealed by running back Armando Mosquera as he rumbled from 15 yards out, making it 21-10, Tarpons at the half.

The Bulldog offense went three-and-out on the opening drive of the second half, but a bad snap on the fourth-and-13 gave the Tarpons the ball on the Bulldog 11.

It took the Tarpons three plays to take advantage of the great field position with a 5-yard TD reception by running back Villarreal.

It would be the last score for the Tarpons on the night, who -survived a Lyford rally to win.

The forced a fumble on the Tarpons' next drive.

Then, a 47-yard TD reception from quarterback Ramon Moya to running back Felix Silva would start a Bulldog rally with 4:05 left in the third quarter.

The Seawall Defense would then step it up when it counted, stopping an 11-play Lyford drive on the Tarpon one. They were led by linebacker Frankie Esparza, who had six tackles on the night and a huge fourth-down stop.

"Our defense did a really great job of stopping them, because they [Lyford] could have made it a four-point game. The defense really rose to the occasion, and after being belittled all year they showed some character tonight," Stumbaugh added.

The Bulldogs would not threaten again, as the Tarpons pushed themselves back into District 32-3A contention.

The Tarpons have homecoming next week against Raymondville, while the Bulldogs attempt to pull themselves out of a slump in Progreso.

Lyford vs PI (http://www.valleystar.com/articles/2005/10/08//sports/sports7.txt)