PDA

View Full Version : "Life, Liberty, and Texas/OU Weekend"...a must read by KTJ (long)

KTJ
10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
First of all, let me say how disappointed I am that no one missed me. :D I didn't get any kind of recognition in the "missing posters" thread. I thought for sure someone would perk up and say "gee, where is that honorary poster KTJ? Surely he would have posted by now." But alas, I am left stranded. I would have thought my adopted 3ADL parent (LHPM) would have at least asked about me. (Which, by the way, I've requested to ref a Liberty Hill basketball game just so you can see me. But I doubt said request will be honored. :()

With that said, I do have to say that I'm limiting my posting on this board because of certain issues. Maybe I'm blowing things out of proportion? It's possible. But in the end, it's not worth it. (And if you want to know what that is, I'd gladly tell you in a PM.)

DISCLAIMER: This thread isn't meant to demean Texas A&M. This thread isn't meant to degrade Tech or Baylor. It's simply meant to inform those who may not understand.

So back to the most important issue at hand: Texas/ou Weekend.

This is it folks. This is the rivalry to end all rivalries. This is what makes college football one of the best sporting events in the history of man. There is nothing else that could even compare to the intensity, the cockiness, the melange of emotions that run not only with this rivalry, but with the hatred between Longhorns and Sooners. With my thesis statement firmly in place, I shall begin.

1.) Texas/OU is the main rival.

If you ask any student, fan, alum, professor, dean, janitor, crossing guard, secretary, sorority member, police officer, band member, RTF major, bathroom attendant, the guy who lights The Tower, the guy who plays the organ at The Tower--virtually anyone, they will give you the answer that TEXAS/OU IS THE MAIN RIVALRY. Yes, I know many people would like to say that Texas/Texas A&M is a heated rivarly, but in the end, it doesn't hold a candle to Texas/OU. Ahh, but I can hear you saying it now: "But KTJ, doesn't UT have a parade for the A&M game, words in their fight song about A&M, and even light The Tower for A&M victories?" And to you I say this:

Subpoint A.) Yes, we do have the Hex Rally right before the A&M game. However, we also have the Torchlight Parade on Texas/OU Week. The Torchlight Parade is attended more by the students--by a longshot--than the Hex Rally.

Subpoint B.) Yes, we do have the one line about A&M in the fight song. But there have been grassroot campaigns to get that removed. Granted, it will never happen because it's tradition. Nonetheless, we also have a line about OU in our fight song, but that isn't set in stone. More or less, people just say it out of habit because it's true. :D

Subpoint C.) Yeah, we do light the tower for A&M victories, but that was decided long ago and they wanted it to stay the same. However, that may be the only thing that we do specifically for that game that we don't do for anything else.

2.) The Texas/OU Rivalry literally gets your blood boiling.

Only on this weekend will getting into a shouting match with a 55 year old woman be as fun as ever. Why, you say? Well when she's talking smack to you about your state, your team, and your University, you don't take that. Especially from someone who lives in Oklahoma. Longhorn fans don't get mad when we play A&M. We don't get mad when we play Tech. We don't get mad when we play Nebraska. We just get annoyed. WE GET MAD WHEN WE PLAY OKLAHOMA. The passion and fire is in the eyes of the players, the coaches, and especially the fans. Thinking of what Earl Campbell and Peter Gardere did back in the day...and Cedric and Ricky. Coach Royal, Coach (I shutter when I type this) Switzer...Bevo vs. the Schooner. When the Longhorn band marches out and puts that big Texas flag across the field and everyone screams...you can't even put words to it. It's amazing. No other game is like it.

3.) Goosebumps

It doesn't matter how many times you've been to a Texas/OU game; walking in the Cotton Bowl, seeing it split down the middle half burnt orange, half crimson, makes the hair on your arm stand at full attention. Seeing Big Tex and that giant Ferris Wheel in the background shows you the tradition that this game has. You get the feeling that every piece of history between these two teams is inching into your blood once you walk into the Cotton Bowl. That doesn't happen with A&M, Tech, or Baylor. We don't go to neutral sites to play those schools.

So you may be asking yourself: "KTJ, what exactly are you trying to say?" And to you I say this:

-Texas and Texas A&M are interstate rivals, however, A&M considers their rival to be UT. Nevertheless, we go to their place and they come to ours. Just like we do with Tech and Baylor. But A&M is NOT the rival of UT. That, my friends, is Oklahoma. It doesn't matter what we are playing OU in and it doesn't matter if they suck or not, Texas will sell the place out--football, basketball, baseball, track, softball, tennis...whatever. We hate OU and OU hates us. As a matter of fact, OU fans have been on record saying that they just dispise Okie State but they HATE UT. When you mention OU to anyone, they get an upset look on their face and they don't want the Sooners to ever cross the Red River alive. The madness just doesn't happen for any other team, I'm sorry to say. So those who say that the UT/A&M rivalry is more are mostly Aggies. And that's because UT is their rival. But to Longhorns, anytime we play A&M (or Tech or Baylor) it's just another interstate rival...not THE rival.

So in conclusion, just think about the State Fair, the car show, Fletcher's corny dogs, those greasy french fries, fried oreos, fried strawberries, beer, and most importantly the Cotton Bowl split 50-50. It's tradition, it's excitement, it's bitterness, it's hatred....

it's TEXAS/OU Weekend.

SintonFan
10-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I missed you the minute I read your post?:D

pirate4state
10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
First of all, let me say how disappointed I am that no one missed me. :D I didn't get any kind of recognition in the "missing posters" thread. I thought for sure someone would perk up and say "gee, where is that honorary poster KTJ? Surely he would have posted by now." Well, there was this thread (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34651) while you were gone and I did mention your MIA status. ;) Glad to see you back & with such a passionate post!! :clap:

HOOK 'EM HORNS

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Well, there was this thread (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34651) while you were gone and I did mention your MIA status. ;)

And please note who started it. ;) Heck, you know I missed you. :) And I'm still wondering when you're gonna make it to one of our games. :kiss:

pirate44
10-07-2005, 07:05 AM
why are some Longhorn fans afraid to admit a decent rivarly with A&M? its almost like many of them go out of their way to proclaim it and if they say it enough times it will be true. i dont see anything wrong with it myself. it's not a big deal really.

KTJ
10-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
why are some Longhorn fans afraid to admit a decent rivarly with A&M? its almost like many of them go out of their way to proclaim it and if they say it enough times it will be true. i dont see anything wrong with it myself. it's not a big deal really.

Call me crazy, but I did say that it was a rivalry. I just said it wasn't the main rivalry.

And if it wasn't a big deal, the you wouldn't have posted your reply. :)

BMOC
10-07-2005, 09:53 AM

I don't think we are saying that UT - A&M is not a rivalry, it's just not as big or as intense as the OU rivalry is. For the past 5 years, the Red-River Shootout has had an impact on the Big 12 Championship game and the National Championship. People are pointing to this game in February, right after most athletes decide which schools to attend in the fall. When you read the preseason press, this has been picked as the must see game of the year, because the winner will have a GREAT shot at the National Championship.

pirate44
10-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Call me crazy, but I did say that it was a rivalry. I just said it wasn't the main rivalry.

And if it wasn't a big deal, the you wouldn't have posted your reply. :)
you siad a&m is NOT the rival of Texas. i think its a pretty big rivalry myself and cant understand why some UT fans (not ALL by any means) try to distance themselves from it.

AggieJohn
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
you siad a&m is NOT the rival of Texas. i think its a pretty big rivalry myself and cant understand why some UT fans (not ALL by any means) try to distance themselves from it.

that's what my general gripe is....i think that because OU has beaten the pants off of texas the last 5 years that texas students want to say that is their rival.....just because you have recent success against a school (a&m) and recent failure (OU) doesn't mean that your biggest rival changes.....

i think that you have too look at the general history between the two schools...the pagentry between a&m/texas is far succeeding that of OU/texas....

HighSchool Fan
10-07-2005, 10:22 AM
the aggies are just starving for attention. they're trying to ride UT's coattails for attention. OU is UT's main rivalry. a&m is just a tune up for the big 12 championship this year.

Bullaholic
10-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Oh, oh....I think the "fan" just got "soiled". :D

KTJ
10-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm not going to get into a back and forth argument about this but unless you're a UT student, fan, or alum, I don't think you can tell us who our (when I say "our", that implies UT) biggest rival is.

Yes, I did say that A&M is not the rival of UT, meaning they aren't our main rival. But they are a rival. There was only one coach to vote the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry as the best in the history of college football and that coach was Dennis Franchione at A&M. The Texas/OU rivalry was ranked 3rd (by a slim margin over Army-Navy) by the rest of the coaches. No one tries to distance themselves from it. We know who A&M is and we know they are a foe of ours. But when it comes to the actual game, we don't treat it like Texas/OU.

The last 5 years have nothing to do with it. The Texas/OU game has been sold out and a hot ticket since it's inception way back when. It's not as if this just became a recent thing. It's always been there. And the pagentry of Texas/Texas A&M, once again, doesn't hold a candle to Texas/OU. The only people who thinks it does are Aggies who don't understand the nature of Texas/OU weekend.

spiveyrat
10-07-2005, 10:28 AM

I get the impression that a lot of UT fans think they are "above" A&M now... out of their class, out of their league, etc. It will be interesting to see in the future how it will be when the shoe is on the other foot.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
DISCLAIMER: This thread isn't meant to demean Texas A&M. This thread isn't meant to degrade Tech or Baylor. It's simply meant to inform those who may not understand.

So back to the most important issue at hand: Texas/ou Weekend.

1.) Texas/OU is the main rival.

TEXAS/OU IS THE MAIN RIVALRY. Yes, I know many people would like to say that Texas/Texas A&M is a heated rivarly, but in the end, it doesn't hold a candle to Texas/OU.

Originally posted by AggieJohn
that's what my general gripe is....i think that because OU has beaten the pants off of texas the last 5 years that texas students want to say that is their rival.....just because you have recent success against a school (a&m) and recent failure (OU) doesn't mean that your biggest rival changes.....

i think that you have too look at the general history between the two schools...the pagentry between a&m/texas is far succeeding that of OU/texas....

Hence, part of the reason for KTJ's limited recent postings. :(

Phil C
10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
The Texas vs Texas A&M rivalry is a big rivalry of both schools as KTJ has said but still UT considers the UT vs OK rivalry is even bigger to UT because of the competition between the two states. It is not a put down on the Aggies but OK is the main one not that the Texas A&M game isn't important to UT also. It has been that way for years. Coach Blair Cherry coached UT from 1947 to 1950 and his teams beat the Aggies three out of four years with one tie. He beat Oklahoma his first year but lost three straight years afterward. He retired after only 4 years because even though he had a good record his teams couldn't beat Oklahoma the last three years and there was much pressure on him to do so. It started the old saying that even though Texas had great success but it was "Promise me anything but give me Oklahoma."

By the way KTJ what was the No. 1 rivalry. I would guess Michigan vs Michigan State?

lepfan
10-07-2005, 11:03 AM
I personally think there is a different "feel in the air" for an in state rival and an out of state rival....OU/OSU is just different than OU/UT.....and I think UT/ATM is different than OU/UT....In my opinion.....I don't want to say any one is less/more important than the other...but they are just "different"

Bandera YaYa
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I'm not going to get into a back and forth argument about this but unless you're a UT student, fan, or alum, I don't think you can tell us who our (when I say "our", that implies UT) biggest rival is.

Yes, I did say that A&M is not the rival of UT, meaning they aren't our main rival. But they are a rival. There was only one coach to vote the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry as the best in the history of college football and that coach was Dennis Franchione at A&M. The Texas/OU rivalry was ranked 3rd (by a slim margin over Army-Navy) by the rest of the coaches. No one tries to distance themselves from it. We know who A&M is and we know they are a foe of ours. But when it comes to the actual game, we don't treat it like Texas/OU.

The last 5 years have nothing to do with it. The Texas/OU game has been sold out and a hot ticket since it's inception way back when. It's not as if this just became a recent thing. It's always been there. And the pagentry of Texas/Texas A&M, once again, doesn't hold a candle to Texas/OU. The only people who thinks it does are Aggies who don't understand the nature of Texas/OU weekend. :clap: :clap: :clap: You got it right in my humble opinion........A&M can't stand that UT doesn't "hate" them as much as they "hate" UT....... :D

Bullaholic
10-07-2005, 11:11 AM
The "acid" test: Do you think the majority of UT fans would rather beat OU or A&M? (No way to "prove" this one---just asking for board opinions.)

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The "acid" test: Do you think the majority of UT fans would rather beat OU or A&M? (No way to "prove" this one---just asking for board opinions.)

Having a son at UT, I would have to say it's OU. He will take time off studying to watch the OU game, whereas he likes to watch the A&M game but schoolwork may take precedent.

AggieJohn
10-07-2005, 11:24 AM
all because they have lost 5 years in a row to OU, and have beat A&M 5 years in a row....it's a trend.....

pirate44
10-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
interesting question. im sure the outcome would be split. thats tough to have to decide which team youd rather lose to if you HAD to lose to one of them.

KTJ
10-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Us losing 5 years in a row and winning against A&M 5 years in a row has nothing to do with it. Why you're upset that people don't view Texas/Texas A&M in the same light as Texas/OU is weird.

And Phil, the Coaches ranked the best rivalries like this:

1.) Michigan - Ohio State
2.) Army - Navy
3.) Texas - Oklahoma
4.) Auburn - Alabama

Personally, I've heard of too many horror stories revolving around Auburn-Alabama so that would get my top vote.

Buccaneer
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Having a son at UT, I would have to say it's OU. He will take time off studying to watch the OU game, whereas he likes to watch the A&M game but schoolwork may take precedent.

So you think he will be studying Saturday and take a break to see the game then go right back to studying after the game! And he will be doing schoolwork the Friday after Thanksgiving? Is he that good of a student or is UT that hard.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
So you think he will be studying Saturday and take a break to see the game then go right back to studying after the game! And he will be doing schoolwork the Friday after Thanksgiving? Is he that good of a student or is UT that hard.

I'm actually not sure what he'll be doing tomorrow, just know the last couple of years. It's possible he'll be studying tomorrow and not taking a break for the game. :( Day after Thanksgiving? Probably reading or starting prep for finals.

UT is hard, but from what I've seen and heard, his degree plan is one of the toughest. He's aiming to make 4.0 this semester :eek: , which makes me want to cry/laugh hysterically. Not because I don't believe he can, but because I've looked in his textbooks and they scare the heck out of me.

Keith7
10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Us losing 5 years in a row and winning against A&M 5 years in a row has nothing to do with it. Why you're upset that people don't view Texas/Texas A&M in the same light as Texas/OU is weird.

And Phil, the Coaches ranked the best rivalries like this:

1.) Michigan - Ohio State
2.) Army - Navy
3.) Texas - Oklahoma
4.) Auburn - Alabama

Personally, I've heard of too many horror stories revolving around Auburn-Alabama so that would get my top vote.

What about florida state vs. Miami, cal vs. Stanford, USC vs. Notre Dame, OU vs. OSU, Florida vs. Georgia, ?? those are all big rivalries that i would rank ahead of Auburn and alabama, and Texas vs. Oklahoma..

I used to work at Stadium lockerroom, which is a store based out of norman and sales mainly OU merchandise, and most of the people from OU that i talked to would say that OSU vs. OU meant more to them then Texas vs. OU.. what I think this myth that Texas vs. OU is a bigger rivalry then A&M and Texas came from is that OU has beeen a powerhouse for the last 5 years and Texas fans like to believe that they are on that level so they say that OU more of thier rival then A&M is, but growing up here in texas, i remember being little and you were either a texas fan or an aggie, there was nothing bigger at that time for texas then the A&M and UT game.. This is coming from a nuetral view, I love college football, but i have no favorite team.. this is just my opinion...

big daddy russ
10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
...1.) Michigan - Ohio State
2.) Army - Navy
3.) Texas - Oklahoma
4.) Auburn - Alabama

I can't imagine a rivalry more bitter than the Iron Bowl. Personally, I rank rivalries more on bad blood between two schools than national significance and if that's the case, then I can guarantee that Auburn/Bama is second to none.

big daddy russ
10-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
What about florida state vs. Miami, cal vs. Stanford, USC vs. Notre Dame, OU vs. OSU, Florida vs. Georgia, ?? those are all big rivalries that i would rank ahead of Auburn and alabama, and Texas vs. Oklahoma...
UGA/UF is comparable to UGA/AU. Definitely a rivalry, but more civil than anything.... and I can guarantee that AU/Bama is much, much, much bigger than OSU/OU. It's ten times bigger than any rivalry in this part of the country. The bad blood between those two schools is immense. Maybe it doesn't get as much pub as some of the others, but that's because when one school is up, the other's usually down. That doesn't keep it from being a close game, though.

Phil C
10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
What about Harvard vs Yale?

spiveyrat
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
What about Harvard vs Yale?

Powderpuff. :D

Keith7
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
what about florida a&m vs. Bethune-cookman??

AggiesAreWe
10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Being a former Aggie( class of 87 ), I think I can shed some light on this subject. I personally( and I think I am speaking for other Aggies, maybe not all ) dont' care what a t-sip thinks is their biggest rival, they could say Cougar high for all I care. All that matters is who is A&M's rival. I will always believe that an in-state rival is bigger than an out of state one, but that's just my opinion. To me, who t.u. thinks is their biggest rival is totally irrelevant to an Aggie.

HighSchool Fan
10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
wow, someone out of school for almost 20 years and still insecure enough of his school that he still has call another one t.u., that's incredible.

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2005, 02:16 PM
This was a great thread! And I'm a Tech fan.

The fact is that many UT fans consider OU as their main rival. It is also a fact that many A&M fans consider UT as their main rival. All the bickering about it isn't going to change those facts. Let the thread be what is was about.....

raider red 2000
10-07-2005, 02:28 PM
I am not sure what makes a rival.

I would say that UT and ATM is a bigger rivalry game than UT and OU.

My brother in law and sister both went to UT. Both have said that The ATM game is more of a hatered atmosphere and that the Ou weekend was a hugh party.

Personally as a tech grad and fan i would say that Tech dosnt have a rival with ATM...they dont respect us...eventhough we whip their butts.

As far as this weekend goes....i hope all of the kids are safe....the drunks dont drive and that TECH wrecks the corn huskers again.

KTJ
10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Bringing this back up again. I may have to revise some of it, but it basically says what I want it to say.

And it's all the truth. No ifs, ands, or buts.

PPHSfan
10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
You had me at Goose Bumps

Adidas410s
10-02-2006, 03:03 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

What's sad is that I didn't realize this was from 05. I was thinking "hmm...I'm pretty sure I saw KTJ posting earlier today." Thanks for that. I can't wait for the crowds to start pouring into Dallas. Looking forward to an exciting few nights down in Uptown this weekend! :)

KTJ
10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You had me at Goose Bumps

I wish I knew out to quit you.

:D

ou sucks.

big daddy russ
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
I think it all just depends on which UT student/alum you ask.

WestTXLonghorn
10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
All time records of University of Texas versus:

Oklahoma 1900 2005 56 39 5

Texas A&M 1894 2005 73 34 5

So, the series are pretty much even with Texas owning both schools in overall wins. Oklahoma is a bit more competitive in that category but only by 22 games.

I think it really comes down to competitiveness. Oklahoma and Texas are two different states and they've had historic battles over the years. You know the rivalry is rough when the two teams won't even play home/home (even tho they have been considering that lately).

It also dates back to things like Texas stealing Coach Royal and winning titles when he used to play for the Sooners, etc. Also, like has been said. . .the winner of this game many times has gone on to the national stage to win titles and whatnot. The same can't be said for ATM.

I know that everyone on campus and affiliated with UT thinks of ATM mostly as an afterthought (not saying it's fair, just telling it like it is) and OU is the real rival. Which is as it should be.

I know big daddy russ was talking about Auburn and Alabama. Well, there's a reason that in-state battle is so huge. It's because both teams are usually fairly good year in and year out and they're the only two major programs in the state.

Texas has OU to play. . .they also play Tech, Baylor, and ATM in state and they used to play Rice and TCU back in the old SWC days when both of those teams were a lot better than they are now. That's probably the reason ATM isn't considered as big a rival as OU. Still, they ARE a rival. The Hex rally is always fun!

DaRaiderz
10-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

Aggies never will come to grips with the fact that Texas fans hate OU more than A&M. I guess that would bother me too if such a large part of my school's existence was based on the hatred of another school. Dont argue that fact Aggies, you fight song literally starts, (after all of the hullaballoo kineck kineck stuff) "Goodbye to Texas University"

I have seen the Horns play the Aggies in Austin and College Station and I have been to Dallas to watch UT/OU. UT/A&M is a football game, UT/OU is an experience that is totally separate. I had people literally cuss me out at the OU game. I had people threaten to kick my ass. Things like that never happen to me at an A&M game. I hate those bastards in Norman more than anything. I hate every Texas kid that goes up there to play football for some dumb reason (I mean why would any sane person voluntarily go to Norman). I hate Bob Stoops.

A&M is just different. I have friends that went to school there. I went to CS a few times a year to party and hang out. Hell, an Aggie was my best man in my wedding. I dont hate A&M. I definitely like beating them and I get geared up when the game starts but I dont have that just absolute hatred for A&M like I do for OU. Maybe I am on the exteme side for my dislike of OU. I don't think you can really understand it until you go to that game in Dallas and you experience being around those ignorant people. Like I said, it really is an experience every UT fan needs to have at least once. In fact, my next question to any UT fan that says the Aggies are their biggest rival would be, have you ever been to the UT/OU game. Chances are they would say no. I guess A&M fans need the experience too in order to get a grasp of what UT fans are saying when they talk about OU being their biggest rival.

The best way I can put it is this. If A&M made it to the national championship game, I would pull for them to win. Honestly. I am a Texan first and foremost and state pride would farrrr outweigh any dislike I have for the Aggies. When OU made it to the national championship game, I literally prayed the night before that OU would get hammered.

KTJ
10-03-2006, 10:56 AM
As I said before, OU is the main rival.

And what's funny is that I had a convo with some older alums, and they all answered with OU as the main rival but Arkansas as the 2nd rival. Freaking Arkansas.