PDA

View Full Version : Explosions at Formosa Plastics plant, Pont Comfort, TX

Gobbla2001
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
There was a series of explosions at Formosa Plastics at around 3:05 today...

I work 5 miles upstream from the explosion... our safety supervisor was on the radio with one of the supervisors there and he confirmed that there were 3 explosions... this is really huge and really bad... lucikly it happened in an area that does not generally have much human traffic, but looking at the live feed from Houston's Channel 2 choppers, it is horrible...

My mother and her friend saw the explosion from a mile away while travelling up highway 35 into Point Comfort... said it was horrible... my mother saw the second one a few seconds later, her friend said she saw a third one, my mother did not...

It's a mess, keep these people in your prayers...

My step-father was withing 50 yards of this area at 11:00 today... thank God he went home early...

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Prayers for everyone's safety from me. Please keep us updated as you get more info.

Gobbla2001
10-06-2005, 05:13 PM
The area of the plant with explosions provides my division of my plant with materials needed for production... so also pray for the 100 or so people in the division of my plant, along with over 500 others at the whole worksite... this seems big enough to impact our production quite a bit seeing as how we go as they go...

But I'd trade my job for lives if they have been lost...

Gobbla2001
10-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Update #1...

Plant evacuees are parked across the street from my house drinking beer...

More to come on the Gobbla2001 Network...

turbostud
10-06-2005, 05:44 PM
When I was stationed in Port Aransas we would periodically pull into Point Comfort and the Victoria Barge Canal for security purposes. I hope those people are ok.

44INAROW
10-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Saw the news @ 5:00 - they had limited info and the only picture/video was taken from the causeway. LOTS of thick, black smoke. They did say they are pretty sure everyone was safe and accounted for.. I hope they are correct on that.

Gobbla2001
10-07-2005, 01:03 AM
From what I've heard:

1 serious injury and 5 basic (if you will) injuries...

went to a sports bar to watch the 'Stros lose tonight, the buddy I went with is in a way related to the 'seriously' injured person... He was life-flighted to Houston for burn injuries...

wow, what a great deal for such a large explosion...

I didn't get to report anymore, but some folks I had talked to had their plant radios on them and I overheard some conversations... Point comfort lucked out big time... the whole commnity was evactuated after folks at the plant warned authorities of a possible explosion of a highly flamable gas housed in one of the spheres at Formosa...

From what I have seen, being only 7 miles from the plant as we speak, nothing major has happened... you can still see the red glow from the plant, but from what I can tell it is just the flames coming from the smoke-stacks... seems like everything is under control...

Dodged a huge bullet today down here...