PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming question

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Who still has a bonfire for their homecoming pep rally? This was a "must" when I was growing up. In LH, we had one in 96, but not since, due to "burn bans".

AggieJohn
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
http://aggies9496.com/Images/AggieTraditionsPics/Bonfire1995.jpg
WHOOP!!

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
WHOOP!!

Lovely picture! :)

Big C
10-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Who still has a bonfire for their homecoming pep rally? This was a "must" when I was growing up. In LH, we had one in 96, but not since, due to "burn bans".

BH still has one during homecoming week. Unfortunately thanks to a bunch of losers over the last few years trying to burn it down early, I don't see this tradition sticking around. It's a shame.

football4life
10-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I can remember bonfires as a kid, but not in recent years. The past couple of years we have had a bonfire the weekend before 2-a-days. The seniors get it together and its a players only deal.

FootballChik98
10-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Canton had a bonfire and hamburger cookout a couple weeks ago for homecoming.

gobbler grad
10-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
WHOOP!!

now that's a bonfire...:thinking:

Ranger Mom
10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
We have bonfire and a powder puff game the Thursday before homecoming.

Except for last season...when he got rained out!:(

Cat22
10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Just be thankful that you have a homecoming, we may not have one this year

olddawggreen
10-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Invite the fire department and to heck with the burn ban. Bonfires are important. If your fire department can't handle a big job like a bonfire, call the Bertram Volenteer Fire Department, I know they can keep it under control:D :D

Ranger Mom
10-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Invite the fire department and to heck with the burn ban. Bonfires are important. If your fire department can't handle a big job like a bonfire, call the Bertram Volenteer Fire Department, I know they can keep it under control:D :D

Our volunteer fire department is always at our bonfire. And we always have a semi parked in the parking lot where the cheerleaders.....original and powder puff stand on to do cheers!

piratebg
10-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Sinton burns a never ending "S" and has a powder puff game.

big daddy russ
10-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Ingleside's last year to have a bonfire, I believe, was 96. Since then we've just had "The Burning of the M"... nowhere near as cool.

SintonFan
10-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Heck YES!
Tradition should go on with the bonfires. :)

pirate44
10-07-2005, 05:16 AM
1989 Sinton bonfire (class of 1990) was the biggest and best Sinton ever had. sad to see they arent alloud to do that any more :(

NSUTrumpet08
10-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Jasper has continued to have a bonfire for homecoming week. I don't know exactly how long this tradition has been there. In the last few years, the bonfire has looked puny. No joke...i remember back in the mid-90s when i was still in elementary school, the bonfire reached nearly the top of the pole. Ours my senior year was maybe halfway up i guess...nevertheless it's very cool...i liked it!

pirate4state
10-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
1989 Sinton bonfire (class of 1990) was the biggest and best Sinton ever had. sad to see they arent alloud to do that any more :( :D Ours was great wasn't it? BDR - they do the same in Sinton. :( I prefer the BIG old bonfires. Those guys used to round up some firewood (or anything that burned) and we'd have a great time. I'll have to look up some pics in old yearbooks!! :) Ah, good times! :nerd: :D

maroonpirate04
10-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Bon-fires are cool that's what so cool about homecoming it promotes spirit to your school and brings the town together, and the thought of having your rival burning it down the night before of the burning pumps up your team to determine to win the homecoming game. But what I think is more cooler now is Sinton's the Burning Of The Neverending S they should've thought of that back in '86 when our logo was first created. :)

pirate44
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
Bon-fires are cool that's what so cool about homecoming it promotes spirit to your school and brings the town together, and the thought of having your rival burning it down the night before of the burning pumps up your team to determine to win the homecoming game. But what I think is more cooler now is Sinton's the Burning Of The Neverending S they should've thought of that back in '86 when our logo was first created. :)
imho that is so boring. staying up all night building a bonfire the staying up the next night as it burns down is the only way to go. bring back the bonfire!!!

AP Panther Fan
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
We just have a parade, community pep rally at the stadium and burning of the AP.

I also miss the days of bon-fires!:)

pirate44
10-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:D Ours was great wasn't it? BDR - they do the same in Sinton. :( I prefer the BIG old bonfires. Those guys used to round up some firewood (or anything that burned) and we'd have a great time. I'll have to look up some pics in old yearbooks!! :) Ah, good times! :nerd: :D
i think theres a picture in the yearbook of the bonfire with the Mathis city limits sign right up top. :clap:

Pmoney
10-07-2005, 04:33 PM
whats a powder puff

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
whats a powder puff

Girls playing a football game. Football players coached and were cheerleaders. :D

GreenMonster
10-07-2005, 05:37 PM
We still build 'em up an burn 'em down here in the land of the Hawk. Never seen a Powder Puff game, sounds cool as all get out. I'll have to suggest it to the powers that be next year.