PDA

View Full Version : story I found. No comment needed.. just read it.

Black_Magic
10-06-2005, 09:54 AM
This is the Story people are talking about . No comments needed but it answers questions about the deal. If it was a secret or if it was bad to talk about then Im sorry. BUT the player in question AND the Head coach is talking about it So im not sure what the big deal is....

All-Stater Robertson anchors Wylie's D
By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
September 8, 2005

You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but Jared Robertson is a center's worst nightmare.

He is hardly the most imposing physical specimen on the Wylie High School football roster, standing an even 6 feet and weighing 220 pounds on what he said would be ''a good day.'' But the All-State nose guard loves contact and packs plenty of punch into that frame.

''I think I've just got an anger problem,'' Robertson said before reflecting on why he decided to play football. ''It's the only sport you can hit somebody and not get in trouble for it.''

Robertson has made a name for himself by effectively channeling that anger onto the football field since he first began playing the sport in second grade.

''Jared set the Pop Warner record for personal fouls and getting kicked out of games, but then he'd start crying and they'd let him back in the game,'' fellow-lineman Britton Barbee said. ''He got thrown out of a game one time, they let him back in, and he was meaner the next time.''

Fast forward to his senior season at Wylie, and the only crying being done is by opposing offenses - especially centers, who bear the brunt of Robertson's thunder. It isn't a Wylie football game unless No. 54 prematurely jumps offsides, knocking the unsuspecting center on his back before the ball is snapped.

The routine brings with it a 5-yard penalty, but that 5 yards usually pays off sometime during the game, as teams seem to have problems with the center-to-quarterback exchange after Robertson makes his presence known.

''I've got to get offsides at least once a game,'' Robertson said. ''I pop 'em right in the chin, and I've got that big glove on. So it makes 'em think about it. They start jittering, and you know they're gonna fumble it.''

In six quarters of play - Robertson barely saw the field in the second half of Wylie's 41-0 opening-night rout of Lake View - the senior has accounted for five unassisted tackles - four for a loss - three sacks, three assists, three quarterback hurries and a recovered fumble.

Those stats, though solid, don't tell the entire story of Robertson's impact on the Wylie defense, a defense that began the season with six scoreless quarters of play.

''He's so quick that he puts the center, and sometimes even the guard, on the defense when he gets a jump on the ball,'' Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. ''Our linebackers like the way he plays up there because he draws the attention of two, sometimes three, and it kind of frees them up to make some plays.''

Though Robertson is known for his fierce demeanor on the field, his teammates have no trouble giving him flak for everything from being a media sweetheart to a coaches' pet.

''Jared could hurt somebody, but if he picked him up and gave him an ice pack, they'd put him in the paper and he'd be on the news,'' Barbee said.

As if opposing offenses weren't in enough trouble, Robertson is playing this year with a four-year chip on his shoulder. The senior wants to go to college, and football may provide his best chance to do so.

But despite All-State recognition as a junior, he is beginning to think college won't be in his future.

''I haven't got one single letter,'' he said. ''Somebody said it's because I haven't taken the SAT yet, but I think they're just being nice.''

Sandifer said he knows of some interest in his nose guard, but thinks his lack of size has kept him from getting the swarm of suitors that a potential two-time All-State player might expect.

''When you are a 6-foot lineman, they aren't going to risk a scholarship on those kinds of guys, which isn't fair because I promise you, he can play at a lot of levels in college,'' Sandifer said.

In the meantime, expect the nose guard to continue to play at the highest level in high school. And expect opposing centers to have the longest night of their season when facing Wylie.

Contact sports writer Jason Weddle at weddlej@reporternews.com or (325) 676-6771

NHSRattler60
10-06-2005, 10:07 AM
3 words....."No Snap Count"

But I have heard of him and all I have to say is it's in the midset. He's a terrific athlete, and that's great, but centers who let themselves get intimidated will get beaten everytime.

And that's the great thing about all athletes up front. Some of them win before it even starts.

Bubba-Joe
10-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Sounds like that kid is a perfect D-lineman
he might have a anger control problem
but hey
beatin up old ladies

seriously
the kid don't need to be bashed on here
but since it was in the news
I suppose they opened up that can of worms themselves

AP Panther Fan
10-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
It isn't a Wylie football game unless No. 54 prematurely jumps offsides, knocking the unsuspecting center on his back before the ball is snapped.

The routine brings with it a 5-yard penalty

I am not a football expert, by any means, but why not a 15 yard personal foul instead of a 5 yard offsides penalty? Seems so deliberate and un-sportsmanlike. :thinking:

Black_Magic
10-06-2005, 11:19 AM
its a 5 yard penalty.. Unless.. the offical believes it was intentional and excesive. If the official makes that determination I would think he could call it a personal foul. given the fellas statement from his own words, I believe it may be inline for an official to determine that on each time.

AP Panther Fan
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
its a 5 yard penalty.. Unless.. the offical believes it was intentional and excesive. If the official makes that determination I would think he could call it a personal foul. given the fellas statement from his own words, I believe it may be inline for an official to determine that on each time.

thanks, that was kinda my take on it.:thinking:

jakarta101
10-06-2005, 11:59 AM
like i said in his thread.....the kid is an all around athlete and i for one would like to see him go to college.......you can be the most calm, cool and collected person off the feild but when you put that helmet on...its war!

BMOC
10-06-2005, 12:10 PM
That kid was a HUGE part of Wylie's success last year during their run to the State Championship.

District303aPastPlayer
10-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by jakarta101
like i said in his thread.....the kid is an all around athlete and i for one would like to see him go to college.......you can be the most calm, cool and collected person off the feild but when you put that helmet on...its war!

do not even compare HS football to war... it doesnt even compare... two words for you: KELLEN WINSLOW

AP Panther Fan
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM

I also hope he goes to college. I am just of the opinion, that some of the best lessons learned (on or off the field) involve good sportsmanship and fair play.

I hope he does well in life.:)

mustang04
10-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
do not even compare HS football to war... it doesnt even compare... two words for you: KELLEN WINSLOW

u know...it aggravates me when ppl like you jump on ppl using lil analogies

ok, ok, so there are no grenades, no deaths, no screaming, and all that stuff u find in a war...but im pretty dang sure he didnt mean it to that extent....EASE UP

its like when somebody says "its hotter than hell" they dont mean its seriously hotter than hell, and im sry but hell would be worse than war, so how about we bash whoever said "war is hell" because im pretty dang sure the 2 wouldnt even compare either, right?

AggieJohn
10-06-2005, 12:39 PM
you can be the most calm, cool and collected person off the feild but when you put that helmet on...its war! please don't use the football is war comparison, my brother(army) would disagree

BMOC
10-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
u know...it aggravates me when ppl like you jump on ppl using lil analogies

ok, ok, so there are no grenades, no deaths, no screaming, and all that stuff u find in a war...but im pretty dang sure he didnt mean it to that extent....EASE UP

its like when somebody says "its hotter than hell" they dont mean its seriously hotter than hell, and im sry but hell would be worse than war, so how about we bash whoever said "war is hell" because im pretty dang sure the 2 wouldnt even compare either, right?

I double that.
GOOD POINT!!!:clap:

Keith7
10-06-2005, 01:07 PM
u shoulda left a title, that story is too long to read

Over-rated2004
10-06-2005, 01:14 PM
This guy is a little SLOW in the head! He has been ejected from 3 games already. ANGRY+SLOW in the head=Not helping the team!
#54 is OVER-RATED:confused: