PDA

View Full Version : Bellville vs. Columbus

Brahma73
09-28-2003, 07:58 PM
On paper, this one seems to be a no-brainer for the Bulls. We've got an extra week to think about it (as though that will influence the outcome!). Althaus is getting a lot out of his defense at C-town, especially against the run. Seems like Bellville should be able to score plenty though.
Just a topic starter..... :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
09-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Though I believe Bellville will win, I also believe it'll be along the same lines of the Rice/Columbus game... Meaning if Columbus can figure out some way to score, we're in for a game...

They were able to stop the run AND pass (you guys might not have seen it but they do it pretty well) against Rice...

You never know, and that is why we play the games...

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Hey 73, just set down to post the same topic, good thing I looked before I did. I think your right Bellville sould not have a problem scoreing, at C-town, but remember it is fair week and that always seems to hurt us, but I still think our boys will be ready, and will not let the fair be a distraction. With a week off this group will be ready to play after setting out a week. I will wait for my prediction but I feel our 2nd teamers will get to play some in this one, not to take anything away from Columbus, but I feel the 1st teamers will get the job done by the 4th. I Also look for a big crowd from Bellville, do you think you might know someone over there in Columbus, and see if they can put in a Zone, like the Aggies have? If not just bring in some portiable stands, so I dont have to get there at 5:00 to get a seat? :D
Go Bellville Beat Columbus!!!!!!

punt
09-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Are you joking Gobbla? I would guess Bellville by 40, or however many they want to score. Bulls need competition but I can't see it coming in district from anyone but Rattlers.

Gobbla2001
09-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey, Punt, I recall everyone, including myself, saying Rice Consolidated would beat the crap out of Columbus.... I don't call a 14-0 loss that big of a crap extraction...

Like I said, Bellville should win, but Bellville and Rice Consolidated are pretty much mirror-images(besides maybe a better passing game for the BB's)...

If Columbus and the rest of the state 'knew' that Bellville was gunna be 'em by 40, the game would have never been scheduled or would have already been cancled...

Brahma73
09-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Hey FBB, I do know people at the top in C-town. My advice, based on what I know: Bring the lawn chairs!!!LMAO :D Also might bring mosquito repellant. No danger of altitude sickness in those bleachers, however. :p

Gobbla2001
09-28-2003, 08:38 PM
No crap, 73, visitor side be way small...

KL3
09-28-2003, 08:45 PM
It amazes me how some people still don't believe how good Bellville is. Two that I can think of are Pudlugger and now you Gobbla2001. Gobbla, trust me, Bellville's passing game is FAR superior to Rice's. Columbus was able to contain the running game because they knew Rice did not have a good passing attack. Rice's offense is a far better matchup for Columbus's defense than Bellville's is. Do you think Rice just might have been looking forward to the next weeks game versus Bellville and gave a lackluster performance against Columbus? Everyone I've talked to that saw the Rice/Columbus game seems to think so. I look for Bellville to win this game going away, but I am worried that it's fair week.

landries
09-28-2003, 08:49 PM
i think it will be a great game won be the team able to put up more points on the board than the other.

Gobbla2001
09-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Playing Columbus AT Columbus a few times in the last 13 years we've played them (stop playing 'em last year) I know that they play 10 times tougher AT home...

You guys defended Rice's passing game well, but I saw their passing game first hand... They used the run to set it up...

I think Bellville is good, of course, and I think they have a good chance at winning the state title... But I also think Columbus 'might' give you a better game than you think...

Geez, said Bellville would win and the stick's still up your rear...

Brahma73
09-28-2003, 08:59 PM
KL3:
It amazes me how some people still don't believe how good Bellville is. Two that I can think of are Pudlugger and now you Gobbla2001. Gobbla, trust me, Bellville's passing game is FAR superior to Rice's. Columbus was able to contain the running game because they knew Rice did not have a good passing attack. Rice's offense is a far better matchup for Columbus's defense than Bellville's is. Do you think Rice just might have been looking forward to the next weeks game versus Bellville and gave a lackluster performance against Columbus? Everyone I've talked to that saw the Rice/Columbus game seems to think so. I look for Bellville to win this game going away, but I am worried that it's fair week.You make interesting points, KL3! I said the same thing about Rice in my Bellville/Rice post. The (RC) will be stymied offensively by a team that can really stop the run. Of course their defense will probably still enable them to win their games. When Bellville quit worrying about the pass in Q4 the other night, even the Bulls slowed them down.
C-town has a very good run defense, but I don't think they can generate the pass rush or secondary speed to ground our aerial assault. They will do everything they can to slow the game down, and our D should control their O.

Brahma73
09-28-2003, 09:04 PM
Gobbla2001:

Geez, said Bellville would win and the stick's still up your rear...ROFLMAO! You just can please some people Gobbla! Some of us B-town people are just sooooo sensitive. KL3, I'd be crabby too if I had gone to the Aggie game. Don't worry, the Bulls will take care of biz regardless of what us ol' farts have to say. :p

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Amen, 73! :D

IBRINGTHEHAT
09-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I really dont forsee Bellville having too many problems with Columbus. As far as the district goes Navasota will be a challenge to the Brahmas but I think Sealy might also be able to give them a run for their money.

BrahmaMom
09-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Agree with that wholeheartedly. I think Bellville knows Columbus is tough at home, and it IS fair week, as KL3 pointed out, which in the past has caused problems for Bellville. Not the last two years, though. The Brahmas should do fine at Columbus next week, as long as they take care of business. Then we'll deal with Navasota. I have faith in my Bulls! They generally get the job done!

Bongo
09-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Scores of even recent games can be deceptive. Take RC and Columbus which RC won I believe 14-0. I don't think anybody stated that Columbus could hang with RC, but the Cards did. So from that score you would think Bellville would have had an easy win over RC. That game could have gone either way.

With Bellville having a bye week and with Navasota coming up after Columbus, I think the Bulls could be in for a battle with Columbus if they don't maintain their focus. Keep it together guys and heal up for Columbus. They'd like nothing better than to knock you off your perch.

Bellville22
09-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Many great points already made about this one, and we've got nearly 2 weeks til the game.

I don't worry alot about the Bulls in this one, but I do think it will be closer than most might think. Several factors make me say that.

The first is the bye week. Bellville runs a pretty precise, finely tuned offense. They run multiple formations ranging from 2 TE's to Shotgun 4- or 5-wide spread. They executed it to near perfection in the 2nd half of the Rice game, and when clicking, is difficult for anyone to stop. The Brahmas were physically and emotionally spent after the showdown last week, and for that I think the week off is good. But the break could cause the Brahmas to not be quite as sharp early. It may take them a quarter or two to get in rhythm like it did in the first couple of games this year.

The second is the Columbus D and homefield. It's no secret that the Cards play good D, they always have. They held a pretty potent Rice O to 14, and held the Brahmas to 21 last year at the Pasture. They play tremendous against the run, but I think once the Bulls get rolling, they'll have problems defending the pass. If Bellville struggles to throw the ball early though, they won't be able to just line up and run right at them. And Columbus is not an easy place to play, they play much better at home, and force fans to get there at 6 if they want a seat.

Finally, and I hate this, but Fair Week does always seem to cause problems. I don't know why, I think it's just a curse eek! . I don't think the players get distracted, because almost all are good about staying away from it on Wed and Thurs night, I just think it's not having school on Thurs or Fri that causes the team to get out of rhythm a bit. Whatever it is, I really think it costs the Bulls about 10-14 points.

Isn't one of the big games in Dist. 23, but the Cards could provide a bit of resistance. The Card's offense has struggled all year, and I don't believe they can put up enough points against the improving Bellville D. As 73 said, they will try to control the ball, and keep it away from the Bulls O. I think they'll be able to move the ball some, enough to somewhat accomplish that.

I think Columbus will be held to under 10, but I think the Bulls are held to under 30 for the first time this year.

Raider4ever
09-29-2003, 03:54 PM
I am not makeing excuses for the low score on the Rice vs Columbus game. But I mean when the Columbus Coach has a stop watch in his hand and telling his boys to hike the ball 2 seconds before play clock. It's kind of hard to get your defense on a good 3 and out pace. The raiders in the first quater against Columbus only got the ball 4 times and second half 2 times. Good way to not get the score run up on you, and very smart. I look for Columbus to do this on Bellville. Just my input.

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Raider4ever ]</small>

landries
09-29-2003, 03:58 PM
i think everyone knows by now that i don't play.

landries
09-29-2003, 04:01 PM
if someone gets shut out they have no chance of winning. the scorer of points in a shut out should walk away with this one. if it's not a shut out then count me out, i have no prediction.

Brahma73
09-29-2003, 04:07 PM
landries:
if someone gets shut out they have no chance of winning. the scorer of points in a shut out should walk away with this one. if it's not a shut out then count me out, i have no prediction.This is your brain on drugs...

landries
09-29-2003, 04:08 PM
no that was a message i posted, i swear.

Brahma73
09-29-2003, 04:16 PM
WOW eek! eek! eek!

landries
09-29-2003, 04:17 PM
don't taunt me, i've said it before.

ctownqb
09-29-2003, 10:12 PM
so somebody caught on to the little stopwatch thing. It did work and if things would have gone a little different like a ref not calling holding where there wasnt any taking away a cardinal touchdown the game would have been closer. Also later in the 4th quarter colubus had another chance to score alreday down 14-0 they were inside the raiders 20 but it came down to a 4th and inches and columbus ran a pass play that did not work. Im not saying that columbus should have won the game but they had a chance. The cardinals dfence can stop the run and they have played against good backs in every game. They have not played a team with a good passing game yet and will see one against rice. Last year buenger threw well against the cardinals but the secondary of the cardinals has improved. The cardinal offense has stuggled all year but they are improving, the o-line is getting better which is the starting point on any offense. columbus's starting running back was moved from wide reciver to running back just this season and is also getting better each week. The play calling has been a problem in the past there and i think is alot better now and they are passing more and more which is turning out better but no team can be totally successful with out a good running game. Columbus is undefeated at home and does seem to play better there which could be a small factor.( i typed alot and i dont have time to proof read so sorry if any gramatical errors)

ctownqb
09-29-2003, 10:14 PM
i mean bellvilles good passing game not rice

Brahma73
09-29-2003, 10:39 PM
ctownqb:
i mean bellvilles good passing game not riceHey ctown, which QB do you think will get the bulk of the snaps, Koehl or Turner. Or is Coach A going to use both equally. Just curious. If you are one of them, try to be objective. wink

Bellville22
10-06-2003, 11:41 AM
TTT, anyone want to throw out a prediction?

Brahma73
10-06-2003, 02:09 PM
I'll bite.
Bellville 27
Columbus 13

keepNitKrunk
10-06-2003, 03:28 PM
this one is gonna be off the chain. bellville 20 columbus 14 (2 field goals will win it.)

Bellville22
10-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Wow 73, great minds think alike (I wonder why :D ). I'm takin' Bellville to put up 27 as well.

I posted earlier on this thread about the various factors that can effect the outcome of this game. Columbus' solid D, their goal to hold on to the ball as long as possible to keep Bellville O off the field, the Brahmas' bye week, and the fair in Bellville :mad: (I hate that one), as well as the Columbus home field. The Cards will be fired up, and may keep it close for a little while, but Bellville's talent should show as the game progresses.

Jess B., you didn't like the fact that I said Columbus would be the first team to hold the Bulls under 30, but I gotta stick with it. Take it as a challenge.

I'm goin' w/ 73 w/ Bellville, but for the first time, gonna show the D a little love...

Bellville 27
Columbus 10

Speed24
10-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Well to answer your question, Matt Turner will get all the playing time. We found a #1 and with me being on the recieving end of his pass..he's for sure got more talent!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Here is my guess, Bellvilles 1st defense, will hold the Cards to 7, Bellville,s 1st offense will score 28 with few kicks from Goeke, giving Bellville 37, even with all this weeks distractions the Brahmas, and the coaches, have to deal with, the Brahmas will play a good game. Bellville 37, Columbus 7, if the 2nd teamers get in around the 4th give the Cards 7 more.
Go Bellville beat the Cards!!!!!

Brahma73
10-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Former & Bellville22, check PM's

BrahmaMom
10-06-2003, 10:00 PM
FBB: I think you are about right. The fair curse is somewhat a thing of the past(I hope) and the Brahmas are ready to play some football after the bye week. I like so many players in the game, develops our depth and protects against injuries. I'll be there Friday night if I can still waddle after all the Blue Bell Light Mint Choc Chip to cheer our Brahmas on to a BIG WIN!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-06-2003, 10:04 PM
73, check PM.

Bellville22
10-07-2003, 07:54 PM
BrahmaMom: you're as wise, actually much more wink , than any of us on here. I'm anxious to see you start making predictions.

Let's hear it.

ctownqb
10-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Im matt Turner and after the 1st 2 games i have gotten all the snaps. Coach 'A'lthause doesnt really do anything with offense, he is almost strictly defense, and I start on defenseand that comes first in Columbus under his coaching. I have played all but about 3 snaps on the defensive side of the ball the whole year and I do get tired so Koehl might get a few reps.

ctownqb
10-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Last message was for Brahma73 to clear things up for him.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Hey 22 PM check before 10:00!

seasick4
10-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Bellville 28 Columbus 6

Go Bellville!!

BrahmaMom
10-08-2003, 12:47 PM
22, you flatter me becasue of my advanced age! I am not good at numbers, thus I never make predictions. Friday afternoon I would have felt Bellville was a shoo-in for a big win. With the possible upheaval (plus the fair), I still pick Bellville, but not by a lot (see, I only work in a lot or a little-no numbers). See you there! Go Brahmas!

Bellville22
10-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Fair enough, BrahmaMom. Although you'll never get to boast about being right on.

Bellville22
10-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Not sure what it's doing in Columbus today or tomorrow, but it's pouring up here in CS. Weather could definately play a role in this game. Anything to slow down the Bellville passing attack really helps the Cards stiff Run D. I don't see the Bulls being able to have their way on the ground. Special teams will probalby also be big, especially field position. In that aspect, I like the Bulls. They kick and punt the ball very well, and have made some big plays in the special teams.

Should be fun, just might change my score if this continues.

Brahma73
10-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Bellville22:
Not sure what it's doing in Columbus today or tomorrow, but it's pouring up here in CS. Weather could definately play a role in this game. Anything to slow down the Bellville passing attack really helps the Cards stiff Run D. I don't see the Bulls being able to have their way on the ground. Special teams will probalby also be big, especially field position. In that aspect, I like the Bulls. They kick and punt the ball very well, and have made some big plays in the special teams.

Should be fun, just might change my score if this continues.Awe come on, 22! You're unknowingly a psychic. Mysteriously your prediction has already allowed for whatever environmental peril awaits the warriors tomorrow night. You, my man, are a very scary individual when it comes to the ways of the football score crystal ball!!! lol :p

Bellville22
10-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Brahma73:

Bellville22:

Should be fun, just might change my score if this continues.Awe come on, 22! You're unknowingly a psychic. Mysteriously your prediction has already allowed for whatever environmental peril awaits the warriors tomorrow night. You, my man, are a very scary individual when it comes to the ways of the football score crystal ball!!! lol :p Must be a slow day at the office. You and Doc. M need to lay off the animal drugs eek! ...hahahha.

J/K 73, now we're even. Not gonna officially change it, but 20-6 wouldn't surprise me.

venomous tat2
10-10-2003, 12:28 PM
I agree with you Brahma73 bellville has got a solid passing game, but i think the weather may play a role in there somewhere unless c-town didnot get any rain. I too think the bulls will win this one IF they donot look ahead.(To the snakepit.)

BrahmaMom
10-10-2003, 01:35 PM
The Brahmas are well-trained to focus on the game at hand. The junior high teams palyed at Columbus yesterday in that rain, so I predict a mudbowl. Good luck, Brahmas, get ready, get tough, get crazy! All the way, Bulls!

Bellville22
10-10-2003, 02:23 PM
BrahmaMom: sorry to disappoint you, but I won't be making the trip to C-town, have an engagement up here in CS that I need to keep.

See you at the Snakepit.

RAIDER96
10-10-2003, 02:57 PM
I say Bellville 36 Columbus 7. A good came until 3rd quarter then Bellville comes out passing. Colubus won't be able to stop them once they start throwing. I might be wrong but I think Rice only threw 2 or 3 times against Columbus. Just the way I see it. Good luck to both teams.

KL3
10-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Raider96, you bring up some great points. Columbus will be in this game longer than they should if Bellville tries to run the ball down their throats. Obviously our offensive strength is passing the ball, I just wish we would throw it more than we do. I would love to see 25-30 passes a game.

In looking at C-town's stats, minus the Giddings game which I don't have, only one team has thrown more than 8 passes a game vs. Columbus and they blew Columbus out:

Wharton 14/30 for 186 yards
Luling 4/7 66 yards
Rice 2/3 5 yards
Brookshire Royal 4/8 70 yards

I've seen people saying Columbus' pass defense is good, but really they haven't been tested much. The one game they were, they gave up a lot of yards, and I don't think they've faced a passing game like Bellville's.

Columbus has to find a way to score in this game, which they haven't been able to do much the last few years. I think they've managed less than 10 first downs the last 2 years combined. In 2001, their only first down came on a penalty by Bellville.

Hopefully the field won't be complete mud and the rain has stopped. I think Bellville wins 31-7.

KL3
10-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Bellville goes 84 yards on first possession for a TD. 7-0.

KL3
10-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Bellville leads 7-6 at the half. We had the ball 3 times in the first half. Columbus is running down the play clock every time again like they did against Rice. Bellville went 84 yards for a TD on the first drive, got to the Columbus 20 on the 2nd drive and fumbled, got to the Coluumbus 7 on the third drive and fumbled.

KL3
10-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Bellville wins 23-6.

Raider4ever
10-10-2003, 10:44 PM
How did i know they where gona do the playclock run down thing? *smarts* ! Anyways I would post up the Rice vs Palcious game but are score bored was broken and i dont remeber the final score!

ctownqb
10-11-2003, 01:24 AM
About running the play clock down its not all about not letting the other team have the ball. If you havent noticed Columbus has a very small team with alot of players going both ways and by running the clock down rests players and slows the pace of the game. This game was prally even alot closer than people thought it would be. The score could have been even closer had columbus scored when they got inside the 5 yd line in the 4th quarter. The bellville defense held strong 4 plays in a row not allowing columbus to score.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Bellville played their typical fair week funk. The defense seemed to be the only ones with their game face on. Even though Bellville won 23-6, the Brahmas played like they had something else on there minds. If Bellville would have played with the intensity they had in the Rice game, Bellville would have won by twice the score. I hope this will be Bellville's only sub-par game the rest of the year, if the Brahmas play this way aginst Navasota, it will be a long night!!

pn_pimp03
10-11-2003, 10:48 AM
TYPICAL RIVALRY GAME UNDERDOG IS UPSTART BUT THE BIG DOG PREVAILS...GO BELLVILLE...GOOD LUCK AGAINST THE RATTLERS...

NAVASOTA VS BELLVILLE AT THE SNAKEPIT-DONT MISS IT