View Full Version : Jasper: Football and School

kepdawg
10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
KJAS (http://kjas.com)

Bulldogs Will Soon Be Back on the Field

10/04/05
By Mike Lout
Email this story to a friend

The Athletic Director of the Jasper Independent School District, Chris Coleman said Monday that regular district football play was tentively scheduled to begin on Saturday October 15th when the Jasper Bulldogs take on the Buna Cougars. No time has been set for the game at this point, but Coleman said that the game would be played here in Jasper.

Practice for high school football is scheduled to begin on Tuesday. All other sports will also begin soon.

In Newton, officials with the school have announced that varsity football practice will begin on Thursday at 3:00 pm. Buses are scheduled to run beginning at 2:00 pm to pick up team members that do not have transportation.

Schools To Soon Begin In Burkeville and Kirbyville

10/04/05
By Mike Lout
Email this story to a friend

Dr. Eddie Dunn, who serves as Superintendent for the Jasper Independent School District, said Tuesday that he and others were closely watching the situation and that they would announce within the next few days when classes would resume here in Jasper.

Dunn said that it all hinged around electrical power and when that power would be restored. He said that if all went as planned he should have a better idea of the time frame for power within the next thirty-six hours and that a decision on an opening time would be made at that time. He said that overall, the integrity of the buildings within the District was good and that all facilities had passed inspection.

Officials in both Burkeville and Kirbyville announced on Monday that classes would soon reopen in their schools. Schools in Burkeville will begin at their normal time on Thursday morning. School in Kirbyville will begin at 9:00 on Monday morning and will run through 1:00 pm at least for the first week of class.

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2005, 04:45 PM
am i the only one who thinks they shoudl worry bout getting their classrooms back in order before they take the field?

kepdawg
10-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
am i the only one who thinks they shoudl worry bout getting their classrooms back in order before they take the field?

What did you read that suggests they aren't?

lostaussie
10-04-2005, 04:53 PM
am i the only one who thinks they shoudl worry bout getting their classrooms back in order before they take the field? probably. they can practice football without electricity but they cannot go to school. sounds like everyone is just trying to get back to normal. hooray for all these schools.

sinfan75
10-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I think the best thing for that area is to see a highschool event goin on. Practice or otherwise. From what I read power should be on in less than 2 weeks for most of the area. like I said before once the power comes on everything else speeds up. Things are startin to look up fer ya'll.

Buccaneer
10-04-2005, 05:22 PM

Yes you are!

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Yes you are!

oh, okay, just making sure.

kepdawg
10-04-2005, 05:48 PM
from Smoay

SMOAKY (http://smoaky.com)

JASPER'S REVISED SCHEDULE...MOYE RUMOR-UPDATE

I spoke at length with Jasper athletic director Chris Coleman today.

The district has met and revised their district schedule.

I don't have the entire district, but here's the revised schedule for Jasper.

Jasper is expected to return to practice a week from today, Tuesday, October 11th, and will play their first game that weekend.

Coach Lauve also told me if any Jasper players are trying to figure out what to do, to contact his cell-phone.

And finally, Mr. Coleman told me quarterback Gilbert Moye had indeed transferred to Diboll High School, mainly because his sister is a coach at Diboll...but Moye will be returning to Jasper next week.

Coleman will be a guest on my show today (October 4th) at 5:30pm on AM600 KTBB.

JASPER'S REVISED SCHEDULE
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15TH BUNA @ JASPER
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21ST JASPER @ KIRBYVILLE
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 25TH COLDSPING @ JASPER
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 29TH SHEPHERD @ JASPER
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH JASPER @ SILSBEE

Smoaky

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I know you guys have been through alot. I'm glad to see it'll be closer to normal life soon. The light at the end of the tunnel might not be fairly close but hopefully it's starting to loom a little bigger. Good luck and God Bless you folks.
On a similiar note, I read last Friday that San Antonio was expecting 13,000 folks from East Texas starting to arrive this last weekend. I think that puts in perspective how bad Rita was. SA only recieved about 9000(I think) from Katrina evacuees.:eek:

Chris Hart
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Getting to watch your team play 5 games in 20 days is gonna be awesome!:)

spiveyrat
10-05-2005, 07:48 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

White&Crimson
10-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Update on the school situation:
The school board had an emergency meeting last Friday. Unfortunately, they cannot decide when school will start until they hear when the power is coming back on. I think the hope is to start at least by Monday Oct. 17. I'm sure everyone is working hard to get the power back on, but it is frustrating to hear that so many towns in Southeast Texas have power back on and Jasper is still in the dark. :(
Football practice (and band practice) are still set to resume on this Tuesday.

wos fan1
10-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Alot of Orange is still in the dark as well. I hope we're able to return to school Wednesday in Orange....We have a game Friday at 3 p.m. at home against Anahuac...