PDA

View Full Version : Deaf kids in band...

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
I have to hand it to my little bro...
He's a band director in the Houston area who learned after he took the job that his scruel is the hub for deaf and mute children for his dictrict.
Questions:
Is it OK for deaf kids to be in band? Should they be in a separate group like a percussion group that would allow those children to actually benefit? Should they be allowed to join the main band, even though it would greatly slow every other child's developement? I pose these questions not in a judgemental tone but to open up an honest and interesting discussion.
All who would post, "Who cares about band in a football forum" understand that you don't have to read this or even open up this thread in the first place.:p
Reactions please...

sahen
10-04-2005, 02:33 PM
actually deaf kids have heightened other senses....they can feel the vibrations of the music, thus literally they feel the music....Beethoven was deaf.....so yes they should be allowed to be in band....and should be treated like the other students....

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Beethoven was deaf.....so yes they should be allowed to be in band....and should be treated like the other students....
I agree. The Beethoven analogy is perfect for this point. But should a child be nudged to something that they might have more success at, like percussion or does it matter, and why?

LH Panther Mom
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I agree. The Beethoven analogy is perfect for this point. But should a child be nudged to something that they might have more success at, like percussion or does it matter, and why?

I don't think it matters. Many deaf people learn to talk by feeling the vibrations of others' throats. They might actually have more success at brass or wind, since the notes are basically vibrations of the air across the keys.

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't think it matters. Many deaf people learn to talk by feeling the vibrations of others' throats. They might actually have more success at brass or wind, since the notes are basically vibrations of the air across the keys.
I've never thought of it like that before. But, how does a child learn pitch with this handicap? I'm curious as I've never heard much discussion about this anywheres. Has anyone been around cases where children excell at band and other similiar instances? Would having the child play in the regular group benefit from the "correct" vibration and then have correct pitch or tone? I admit this fascinates me...:thinking:

Gobbler Fan
10-04-2005, 03:00 PM
This is High School band not the Boston Symphony Orchestra.....I have all my senses*some people say different*A blind/deaf/mute First Grader has more musical talent than I do. :D

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
This is High School band not the Boston Symphony Orchestra.....
Lordy, if you said that in the valley they'd be grabbing their shotguns.:D

LogieJoeBean001
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
This is High School band not the Boston Symphony Orchestra..... :D

They'd be grabbing their shotguns in East Texas too! Lot's of pride in their band programs in them thar pineywoods.

AggieJohn
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
NCLB would say yes......lepfan should know what that means