PDA

View Full Version : Toughest 3A District in Central Texas

Buccaneer
10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
The most competitive district in Central Texas? Try 27-3A, where the top four teams — Wimberley, Ingram Moore, Liberty Hill and Llano — finished non-district with a combined 16-2 record. District play starts Friday

LH Panther Mom
10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Edited due to drain bamage.

QuickSix
10-04-2005, 09:16 PM
No offense but that really isn't central TX. Centex's main districts are 17,18 and 19.

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by QuickSix
No offense but that really isn't central TX. Centex's main districts are 17,18 and 19.
I hear this argument all the time. Folks in & around Waco are usually the ones to bring it up. No offense toward you intended, but we consider ourselves central Texas as well. Technically, Brady is the center and Abilene & San Angelo are both closer to Brady than either Austin or Waco.

For Austin-area central Texas, 27-3a has the best record for the top 4 teams. :)

QuickSix
10-05-2005, 09:13 AM
According to Massey Ratings, figuring in strength of schedule and such, the strongest Central TX district is 17AAA, ranked third in the state. 27AAA is ranked eighth while 18AAA is ranked seventh and 20AAA is ranked 10th to round out the Centex districts in the top ten.

Old Tiger
10-05-2005, 09:20 AM
What about 19aaa?

QuickSix
10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
19AAA is ranked 11th.

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by QuickSix
According to Massey Ratings, figuring in strength of schedule and such, the strongest Central TX district is 17AAA, ranked third in the state. 27AAA is ranked eighth while 18AAA is ranked seventh and 20AAA is ranked 10th to round out the Centex districts in the top ten.

The initial post wasn't a slam against other districts, just a report of the Austin American-Statesman's "top ten" of the week. :)

Central Texas' top 10 stories
Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Not talking about these 10 stories on the high school front? You should be:

——————————

10. TWO IN A ROW?

Stony Point ended its 22-game losing streak last week against Westwood, which most folks would have favored. The Tigers can try for two in a row on Friday against Cedar Park — which most folks will favor, too.

——————————

9. 15-5A QUANDARY

Suddenly, everything is in chaos: Leander and Pflugerville are shoo-ins for the top two spots, but beyond that is a scramble between McNeil, Cedar Park, Westwood, Georgetown — heck, even Round Rock and Stony Point.

——————————

8. RUSHING TITLE

Midway through the season, it's a tight race for top honors among Central Texas rushing leaders. Giddings' Brock Fitzhenry (978 yards), Belton's Quincy Daniels (930) McNeil's Camron Rogers (858) and Jarrell's Charles Spradley (858) are on top for now.

——————————

7. WILL MCNEIL RESPOND?

Last year, the Mavericks responded to an 0-2 start in district with four straight wins. They're going to have to do the same thing to make the playoffs this year, after losing to Cedar Park last Saturday.

——————————

6. THE BURNET FACTOR

The Bulldogs are the wild card of 27-4A. Wins over Liberty Hill and Fredericksburg, losses to Taylor and San Marcos, and tough district home games coming up with New Braunfels Canyon and Dripping Springs.

——————————

5. CAVS HARDLY CARDIAC

Will Lake Travis ever have a close game? The way the Cavaliers are throwing, catching, running and scoring, maybe not anytime soon.

——————————

4. SAME OL' WESTLAKE

For all of us who were quick to predict doom after their opening loss to Leander, the Chaparrals are off to a strong start in district and appear to be ready for their Nov. 4 showdown at Hays.

——————————

3. TOUGHEST DISTRICT

The most competitive district in Central Texas? Try 27-3A, where the top four teams — Wimberley, Ingram Moore, Liberty Hill and Llano — finished non-district with a combined 16-2 record. District play starts Friday.

——————————

2. THE EASIEST DISTRICT

The least-competitive district in Central Texas? Try 25-4A, where only one team — McCallum — has a winning record (at 3-2), two teams are 1-4 and three others are 0-5.

——————————

1. SISTER VS. SISTER

In one of this week's top matchups, Pflugerville ISD sister schools Hendrickson (4-1) and Connally (4-1) meet for 26-4A bragging rights.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/10/4preptopTEN.html)

QuickSix
10-05-2005, 10:13 AM
But let's add in the bottom two teams in that district as well...Bandera and Brady...

Now that 16-2 non-district record turns into 21-9. I just think that's a bit selective to pick a few teams at the top.

17AAA - 14-3 82.4% winning percentage
18AAA - 12-8 60%
19AAA - 16-4 80%
20AAA - 13-4 76.5%
27AAA - 18-2 90%

(All records according to texasfootballratings.com)

And after that...who was played in non-district...4A, 2A, competitive/losing 3A?

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
And surprisingly enough :eek: , my memory failed me. LH lost to 4a Burnet, Llano lost to 2a Early. Bandera is not one of the top 4.

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2005, 11:12 AM
I could take the time to post the schedules for all teams in our district, but don't see much point since it was pointed out to me elsewhere that "nobody in 27-3a has played anybody". That said, all 6 teams had the same "nobody" schedules last year. Wimberley lost in the Region IV championship game & LH lost in the semi-finals. Folks who have been non-district opponents of our district, please do not take this personally. I would not be so rude as to call any team "nobody".

I don't take much stock in either power ratings or polls. It's great to see when our team gets recognition through polls and might be good to know where we stand compared to other teams. However, neither of those things wins ballgames and that's what matters to us. :)