PDA

View Full Version : 1 win Iowa Park

Odis
10-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Can they run the table in district? Or will Vernon, Graham, and Breck be too much? Never has a season started with so much hype and fizzled out so quickly. The only pre-district win was versus a 2A school. Saw all the games exept the Wimberly game and the chicken hawks looked over matched in every game except the Childress game and that was a toss-up in my mind.

VWG
10-04-2005, 12:38 PM
This Breckenridge game is huge. Both teams need to start out good in district. Breckenridge is playing some pretty solid football, although some of their wins are against some lackluster teams.
You cannot discount their pounding of defending 2A state champ Boyd last week. That was a good win heading into the IP game.
Iowa Park had a special team last year... and I just don't see them having that magic this year. Riley is a good QB but Swenson was special. Swenson made things happen, which Riley hasn't done yet. Not to say that he can't... it's just not happened yet.

Iowa Park needs to regroup. They've got the talent to beat anybody in their district.... they just have to play together for 4 qtrs. and make it happen.
On a Dist. 5-3A note.... what happened to Vernon? They shell 4A Burk at home and then have to take Clyde to OT to win?????
I thought Graham was the district's stock market team.. never knowing if they will be up or down that week, but if Graham is the Dow Jones team then maybe Vernon is the NASDAQ team!

Macarthur
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Odis
Can they run the table in district? Or will Vernon, Graham, and Breck be too much? Never has a season started with so much hype and fizzled out so quickly. The only pre-district win was versus a 2A school. Saw all the games exept the Wimberly game and the chicken hawks looked over matched in every game except the Childress game and that was a toss-up in my mind.

VWG, I think hit the nail on the head when he said they have the talent to play with anyone, but they just haven't put together 4 quarters, yet.

Odis, I've seen some of the same games you have and I don't agree that they were "over-matched". Had they not had 5 turnovers in the 4th quarter, they would have beaten Mineral Wells. 3 of those 5 turnovers were inside MW's 20 yard line. The Old High game was 14-14 at half. IP actually appeared to be taking control of that game until the middle of the 3rd when they fumbled going into Old High territory. After that, it got away from them with a couple of long runs, but I never felt they were "over-matched". The same thing happened versus Wimberly. They game was 17-10 Wimberly in the middle of the 3rd and IP was going into Wimberly territory and had a turnover and never bounced back.

They just haven't been able to put all facets of the game together. And the point about Swenson is very true.

As for district, I have no idea how this team will react. I would not be surprised if they lost every game in district and I would not be surprised if they ran the table. They are really capable of doing either of those.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Where is the Breck - IP game? If it is in IP I may go to it. (Vernon is off this Friday)

On the Vernon game -- mistakes almost cost them that game. A fumble inside of their 20 yardline led to a touchdown by Clyde. This happens after the Vernon defense holds them to a 4 and out down there at about the Lion 30 yardline. Then Vernon drives the field and gets to about the 10 yardline of Clyde and the storm causes a 30 minute delay. They come back out and on the first play they throw an interception. That was on the Clyde 10 yardline after Vernon had driven the field on them. There was 1 minute left in the half. That was a real deflater so to speak. In addition, Clyde has a decent team. By no means a Wylie or Sweetwater but they are not bad either. Vernon should have had this one in the bank but those two turnovers cost them 14 points and a trip to overtime.

My thoughts on the Lions:

They have a good offense. They have some speed and they have been done well with the FB trap. Last week against Clyde both the HB and FB had over 100 yards rushing each. They are getting better at running the option which to the outside has been good for their speedy HB Zamora. Their passing game is better than last year but the receivers have had trouble holding on to the ball. Last week against Clyde the QB hit an open receiver in stride about 45 yards downfield. Would have been a touchdown had he held on. Too many dropped passes this year. I have never seen so many of them. With that I'm sure the coaches just hate to waste a down on a dropped pass especially when the running game is going good.

The defense is good up front. I think they could finally stop that Graham dive this year. Wait Graham will not be using that this year!!! What Graham will do to Vernon is throw it all over them. Vernon had major trouble defending the pass against Wylie and I see more of the same against Graham. Clyde also passed all over Vernon. That is where they found success and I think they had over 200 yards on us. The run defense like I said is not bad but they have to work on the pass defense something major.

Vernon has a playoff caliber team. They do not have a state championship type team and I think they probably win a game in the playoffs but that will probably be it. Maybe two if they draw the right teams.

Who else will go? I would say at this point in time it will be Graham, Breck and Vernon. But who knows IP may just whoop the Lions this year. Just never know. I sure would like to see the Lions beat Graham though.

Macarthur
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
IP Breck is in Breck. Obviously, this is a biggie. I think Vernon and Graham are playing the best right now so this game should be for the 3rd spot. I don't know what to make of Breck putting 63 on the board against Boyd. I sound like a broken record, but I have no idea how IP will do. They could go winless in district and it also wouldn't surprise me at all if they won the district.

GreenMonster
10-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I agree with Big Mac. This team has no clearly defined leader and it is hurting them right now. All the peices are there, it all just depends on how they come together as to whether they build to the playoffs or come crashing down into the basketball gym.

fury900
10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Weekly Picks Week 6

http://www.texasfootballratings.com/20053AWeeklyPicks.html

District 5
Vernon , Open
Iowa Park at *Breckenridge (20)
Wichita Falls Hirschi at *Graham (32)

Macarthur
10-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow, IP is getting 20 points at Breck. IP may be having a down year, but 20 points! It's difficult for me to imagine them losing by 20 points to Breck.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Who knows with our district this year. We are all even right now and that is all that matters.

VWG
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
New coach at Breckenridge has a soph. that is doing some damage at RB. They are running the ball and only throwing it about 8-10 times a game. I had J. Heatley their QB as my pick for Dist. 5-3A MVP this year, but since they don't run the spread he is not hurting teams like he did last year through the air. That being said.... he is still a great QB. I don't see the Buckaroos beating Iowa Park by 20... and I can't really see Iowa Park losing this game either. On paper this game tilts strongly to the IP side.
If the Hawks can play physical up front and stop Breckenridge's running game the Hawks should win.

Anybody notice the youth movement in this district?
Vernon has a soph. that is seeing some time at QB. Breck has a soph. running back that is doing a great job and is their main weapon in the backfield.
Graham has 4 soph.'s starting.... one at QB, one on the O-line, and two linebackers... one of which is their leading tackler. Their best lineman is a junior and they have two good receivers that are juniors also.

Macarthur
10-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Man, I really don't see how this leans heavily towards IP. I will say that IP has played a much tougher schedule. I don't think Breck should be favored by 20, but I also don't think IP should be favored heavily, either.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by VWG

Anybody notice the youth movement in this district?
Vernon has a soph. that is seeing some time at QB. Breck has a soph. running back that is doing a great job and is their main weapon in the backfield.
Graham has 4 soph.'s starting.... one at QB, one on the O-line, and two linebackers... one of which is their leading tackler. Their best lineman is a junior and they have two good receivers that are juniors also.

Yes I have noticed this too. watch out in two years!