PDA

View Full Version : "Go Duece!!!" Jerry Jones' worse nightmare...

SintonFan
10-02-2005, 09:12 PM
The crowd at the Alamodome was electric! The announcer from CBS said he had never, EVER heard a crowd that loud! Gotta love the NFL in SA. Jerry hates the thought of the Saints in SA. Come one, if they moved to SA he'd lose a cool half million fans easy...
A great game today, a great home-field advantage.
:) :cool: :)

crabman
10-02-2005, 09:34 PM
We were there. So loud you couldn't hear yourself think. The game looked like it could go Buffalo's way. Took the first drive and went straight down the field and scored. Saints went three and out. Didn't look good. Then the fans stepped it up and it was like the Saints finally realized they had the home crowd. Pretty awesome.

Bandera YaYa
10-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Good....Jerry Jones can kiss it! Get rid of him and I'll be a Cowboys fan again...... :hand:

GreenMonster
10-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Good....Jerry Jones can kiss it! Get rid of him and I'll be a Cowboys fan again...... :hand:

YaYa, if you quit the Cowboys over an owner that's a moron then you were never a true fan anyway. :( That disappoints me. I thought so much higher of you than that.

ro_tex_solja
10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
here is a formula i will teach yall
jerry+jones=idiot
lol

Rabbit'93
10-02-2005, 10:01 PM
hmmm:thinking: Let's think about this for a second. Jerry has how many Super Bowl rings. 3. Granted he may be a little too hands on for my tastes but the guy does know how to win or create a winner. And before you say oh that was Jimmy..someone has to have the scratch to pay for it all. And don't give me the whole "they stink now" bit. The NFL has a salary cap and free agency for a reason. It all comes in cycles. 'cept for the 'aints. When's the last time they even made the playoffs? :p ;)

SintonFan
10-02-2005, 10:03 PM
I hate to say it, but the Saints look good in SA.:)

SintonFan
10-02-2005, 10:10 PM
I think all the rumors that SA can't support a NFL team come from who? I'm not sure but maybe some of that opinion comes from die-hard Cowboy fans. Think about it...:thinking:
San Antonio is larger than Dallas one on one and they might not have Fort Worth, but they have Austin, San Marcus, New Brans., the upper central hill counrty, Seguin, Corpus Christi and they draw a huge area of small towns within 2 hours around them on top of being the 7th largest city in the nation. Jerry believes in winning but he must be very worried he's gonna lose SA and their area...:doh:
I think today's win is a positive move toward NFL in SA.:cool:

Chris Hart
10-02-2005, 10:19 PM
When the Cowboys(America's Team) starts losing fans to the Aints, it'll be a cold day in he double hockey sticks. Now if the Packers where to move to SA, the Boys may lose a dozen or so fans. The Cowboys will always rule!;)

Matthew328
10-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Dont think Jerry is too worried about SA....did you see how many Cowboys fans are in California?? both SD and SF's coaches were complaining about how loud the cowboys fans were in their stadium!

SintonFan
10-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I'll always be a Cowboy's fan... but if the Saint's come to town I wouldn't ignore them. I'll buy a ticket or two. The S(aints) are a much better bet than the Texans now aren't they?:D
I still stick with my reason why JJ(Jerry) is worried about a SA team in the NFL.
lol
If the Saints did settle here, I'd of course change to Direct TV and order "The Ticket" to make sure I had the Cowboys' games every week. I'm a fan of the Cowboy's... I'll always follow them... win or lose. :)

Chris Hart
10-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I'd definately take the Saints over the Texans. They give us a bad name:o

SintonFan
10-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Dont think Jerry is too worried about SA....did you see how many Cowboys fans are in California?? both SD and SF's coaches were complaining about how loud the cowboys fans were in their stadium!
Sorry Matt, SA is so Hardcore Dallas you've gotta see it. It's refreshing for me to see(a hardcore Cowboy's fan) this town root for someone who actually played in town. If the Saint's come to SA then watch out, SA can hold their own, regardless of who says otherwise.
Even if there is 10 million Dallas Cowboy fans(who knows Cowboys might have 50 million) overall, if you lose 1/2 million it's a big thing... it'll hit Jerry in the pocket book.

Chris Hart
10-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Sorry Matt, SA is so Hardcore Dallas you've gotta see it. It's refreshing for me to see(a hardcore Cowboy's fan) this town root for someone who actually played in town. If the Saint's come to SA then watch out, SA can hold their own, regardless of who says otherwise.
Even if there is 10 million Dallas Cowboy fans(who knows Cowboys might have 50 million) overall, if you lose 1/2 million it's a big thing... it'll hit Jerry in the pocket book. Even if the Boys did lose a half million, they would all come back after one year.:p ;)

SintonFan
10-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Even if the Boys did lose a half million, they would all come back after one year.:p ;)
lol
I bet those at today's game are hooked.;) I never left the Cowboy's but believe San Antonio deserves a chance.:cool:

Chris Hart
10-02-2005, 11:46 PM
I hear ya. I think they could support a team too, an NFL team. I think most Cowboy fans are like me, They could move another NFL team to my hometown and I'd still always be a Cowboy. It's just never crossed my mind to jump ship.:)

HighSchool Fan
10-03-2005, 05:58 AM
the nfl will make it hard for them to move to SA. they would rather have a team in LA than a 3rd team in Texas.

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
YaYa, if you quit the Cowboys over an owner that's a moron then you were never a true fan anyway. :( That disappoints me. I thought so much higher of you than that. HA.....well i should have elaborated...I am a Houston Texan fan (old Oiler fan) first and upmost...I liked (not loved) Dallas before Jerry Jones....but since i can't stomach him, i do not watch dallas any longer.....doesn't bother me in the least! In fact, I have always been a Washington Redskins fan over Dallas Cowboys fan my whole life.....(that will make you call me some more names!!!) :p :p :rolleyes:

Matthew328
10-03-2005, 10:57 AM
regardless of what happens I doubt the Saints would move...it would be a PR nightmare for the NFL

gobblerfan02
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Ya, rumors are that the saints wanna stay in LA. It would devastate the whole state again if they left now!

CenTexSports
10-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I too am not a Cowboy fan because of Jerry Jones. I refuse to root for the Cowboys while he is the owner (mostly for the way he treated Landry). And I was a fan!

In the 70's, I would spend more time on the roof of my house adjusting the antenna trying to pick up the Wichita Falls TV station so I could watch the game than I did watching the game. Roger Staubach spoke at our football banquet my senior year. I was a rabid fan.

Jerry Jones goes and I will be a fan again.

HighSchool Fan
10-03-2005, 11:47 AM
i thought tom landry was the best coach also. tom landry got fired. big deal. people get fired everyday. must be a sad life if ya can't get over something that small from that long ago.

CenTexSports
10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
I thought it was time for Landry to go also but it could have been done with a little class. Landry found out that he was being let go by reporters. That is classless on Jones' part. I don't like his style and I won't support the Cowboys until he is gone.

HighSchool Fan
10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
like i said, people get fired everyday. that was no different than anyone else getting fired. but keep rooting for houston or whoever it is you cheer for, we don't want no bandwagon fans.

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I thought it was time for Landry to go also but it could have been done with a little class. Landry found out that he was being let go by reporters. That is classless on Jones' part. I don't like his style and I won't support the Cowboys until he is gone. MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: ......all that, plus I can't stand looking at his plastic face...just don't trust a man who is that vain and conceited!blah..... :rolleyes: :hand:

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i thought tom landry was the best coach also. tom landry got fired. big deal. people get fired everyday. must be a sad life if ya can't get over something that small from that long ago. Hmmmmmm.......Landry was a legend with the Dallas Cowboys.....don't think he was "that small" in the eyes of Cowboy fans.....Landry had class and was respected.....do you think Jerry has the same kind of respect???? I sure don't! :p :p

HighSchool Fan
10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Hmmmmmm.......Landry was a legend with the Dallas Cowboys.....don't think he was "that small" in the eyes of Cowboy fans.....Landry had class and was respected.....do you think Jerry has the same kind of respect???? I sure don't! :p :p

it's not about respect, it's a bottom line issue. you don't produce, you get fired. it's that simple

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 12:29 PM
it's not about respect, it's a bottom line issue. you don't produce, you get fired. it's that simple HAHA...well if that's the case, then Jerry should have left along time ago!!!!!!! :D

Chris Hart
10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Just win baby win! I don't care what goes on in the organization, just win! I loved Landry too, but he needed to go. I didn't like the way it was handled either, but I did like the 3 Super Bowls in the first 6 years of the Jerry Jones administration. If I'm mad at Jerry for anything, it's letting Jimmy Johnson go, when the Boys would've won 4 or 5 straight Super Bowls.

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Just win baby win! I don't care what goes on in the organization, just win! I loved Landry too, but he needed to go. I didn't like the way it was handled either, but I did like the 3 Super Bowls in the first 6 years of the Jerry Jones administration. If I'm mad at Jerry for anything, it's letting Jimmy Johnson go, when the Boys would've won 4 or 5 straight Super Bowls. Haha....well there just wasn't room for 2 "pretty boys" in that organization...so Jimmy got the axe!!! HAHAHAHAHA....maybe thats why Jerry started tightening up his face...HAHAHAHAHAHA :evillaugh :evillaugh

Rabbit'93
10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
HAHA...well if that's the case, then Jerry should have left along time ago!!!!!!! :D
You call 3 superbowl wins, 1 other appearance in the NFC championship game and 5 other appearances in the playoffs, not producing?:confused: :eek:

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
You call 3 superbowl wins, 1 other appearance in the NFC championship game and 5 other appearances in the playoffs, not producing?:confused: :eek: When was the last Super Bowl win?? :thinking:

HighSchool Fan
10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
When was the last Super Bowl win?? :thinking:

jerry has more super bowl wins than landry does.

pirate4state
10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I just got my tickets for the Saints/Falcons game in 2 weeks!! :cheerl: Woo-Hoo!!

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 02:35 PM
jerry has more super bowl wins than landry does. Hey I just asked!!! :D :D

Buccaneer
10-03-2005, 02:59 PM
HA.....well i should have elaborated...I am a Houston Texan fan (old Oiler fan) first and upmost...I liked (not loved) Dallas before Jerry Jones....but since i can't stomach him, i do not watch dallas any longer.....doesn't bother me in the least! In fact, I have always been a Washington Redskins fan over Dallas Cowboys fan my whole life.....(that will make you call me some more names!!!) :p :p :rolleyes:

Say it aint so

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 04:31 PM
t
Originally posted by pirate4state
I just got my tickets for the Saints/Falcons game in 2 weeks!! :cheerl: Woo-Hoo!! Dang those NFL tickets aren't cheap!!! I think I'll save my money for the Spurs games!! :D

LH Panther Mom
10-03-2005, 04:48 PM
jerry has more super bowl wins than landry does.

There's a difference - Jones is the owner, not supposed to be the coach. :p

Bullaholic
10-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I think most of the dislike for Jerry Jones goes back to his handling of the release of Tom Landry in 89'---Jerry Jones passes the "smart, wily NFL owner" test but fails the "good man" test by a bunch when compared to Tom Landry. Few men, then, or now were/are as respected on and off the field as Coach Landry.

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Simple truth is like him or not Jerry Jones as been a plus not only for the Cowboys, but for the NFL as well. Most of the things the NFL battle him on, they now implement. You might not like his style, but his results have been succesful

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree....I can't stand Jerry Jones and that's that!!! GO ASTROS!!!!!! :D

Da Mules
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
It's ridiculous to say that "Jerry Jones" has ANY Super Bowl wins. Those rings were won by the team that Jimmy J put together IN SPITE of that glad-handing self-centered egoist. And yeah ol'Triple Option Barry managed to win 1 Super Bowl with Jimmy's leftovers. As those leftovers peaked, the new coaches found themselves totally unable to sustain or rebuild a team. And don't forget all of the wonderful draft picks ol Smiley Jones has made since he took the reins. I also haven't forgotten the Cocaine Cowboys.. I think they had to go bail out half of them from the Rehab Center before every game.
As long as Smiley Jones owns the show, P*** on the Cowboys.
:mad:

Bullaholic
10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
It's ridiculous to say that "Jerry Jones" has ANY Super Bowl wins. Those rings were won by the team that Jimmy J put together IN SPITE of that glad-handing self-centered egoist. And yeah ol'Triple Option Barry managed to win 1 Super Bowl with Jimmy's leftovers. As those leftovers peaked, the new coaches found themselves totally unable to sustain or rebuild a team. And don't forget all of the wonderful draft picks ol Smiley Jones has made since he took the reins. I also haven't forgotten the Cocaine Cowboys.. I think they had to go bail out half of them from the Rehab Center before every game.
As long as Smiley Jones owns the show, P*** on the Cowboys.
:mad:

Aw, come on Da Mules---don't hold back--tell us how you really feel about ol' Jerry.:D

Bandera YaYa
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
of that glad-handing self-centered egoist.
:mad: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

slpybear the bullfan
10-03-2005, 09:59 PM
ROFL at all the Jones haters... I tell ya, I gotta side with J. Jones backers. He does what it takes in the NFL... find ways to win.

A ton of folks will never get over the firing of Tom Landry... and will overlook a ton of what Jerry has learned since then and what he has done for the game.

Great owner. Poor coach. He recognized that and brought in Bill to rectify. Big man to recognize mistakes.

And I think I would speak for most Metroplex fans when I say give me Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban over that penny pinching boob who owns the Rangers, Tom Hicks. He has demonstrated that a tight wallet and zero brains can find ever new ways to destroy a baseball team.

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
ROFL at all the Jones haters... I tell ya, I gotta side with J. Jones backers. He does what it takes in the NFL... find ways to win.

A ton of folks will never get over the firing of Tom Landry... and will overlook a ton of what Jerry has learned since then and what he has done for the game.

Great owner. Poor coach. He recognized that and brought in Bill to rectify. Big man to recognize mistakes.

And I think I would speak for most Metroplex fans when I say give me Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban over that penny pinching boob who owns the Rangers, Tom Hicks. He has demonstrated that a tight wallet and zero brains can find ever new ways to destroy a baseball team.

I agree with you Jones, but I disagree about Hicks. He tried to be the big spender and that diid not work. Now he is trying to do it the right way and that is build thru the minors. That is something that will not happen overnight. But I would much rather build slowly than sign a bunch of big money players like he did when he first became Rangers owner. That is what set the Rangers back three years. Not him not spending

LH Panther Mom
10-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I also haven't forgotten the Cocaine Cowboys..

I am right there with you! I was always a die-hard Cowboy fan until that point. I don't particularly care for Jones, partly because of the way he handled the firing of Landry, but partly because he has no business trying to coach. The smartest thing he's done since he bought them was to hire Bill Parcells....finally someone who had no interest in being his "yes boy".

I still root for the Cowboys to win, but the drug days kind of killed my complete loyalty.

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2005, 11:24 PM
And lets not forget that Landry and his Cowboys had their share of drug problems....Duane Thomas, Hollywood Henderson pop into my head.

then u have the Rafael Septian situation.

And I still have never heard why people have such a problem with Jones firing Landry. IT NEEDED TO BE DONE!

HighSchool Fan
10-04-2005, 05:03 AM
at least jones had his boys do the drugs off the field. during landry's days, it was done during the game. so if you wanna bring up players using drugs, that happens with every team.

Bullaholic
10-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
And lets not forget that Landry and his Cowboys had their share of drug problems....Duane Thomas, Hollywood Henderson pop into my head.

then u have the Rafael Septian situation.

And I still have never heard why people have such a problem with Jones firing Landry. IT NEEDED TO BE DONE!

Neither of those players stayed a Cowboy very long after their drug problems, or any other player who was considered "trouble" by Tom Landry. That was his policy. Things have changed a lot in the modern era of the NFL, and many old time Cowboys fans remember the time when honor and exempleary life style on and off the field personified by coaches like Tom Landry and players like Roger Staubach meant something to the fans and players alike. Tom Landry did need to retire---but he should have been accorded a retirement process consistent with a 30-year NFL coach of his stature. It could have been worked out satisfactorily for both parties if a proper effort had been made.

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Neither of those players stayed a Cowboy very long after their drug problems, or any other player who was considered "trouble" by Tom Landry. That was his policy. Things have changed a lot in the modern era of the NFL, and many old time Cowboys fans remember the time when honor and exempleary life style on and off the field personified by coaches like Tom Landry and players like Roger Staubach meant something to the fans and players alike. Tom Landry did need to retire---but he should have been accorded a retirement process consistent with a 30-year NFL coach of his stature. It could have been worked out satisfactorily for both parties if a proper effort had been made.

The biggest knock on Landry was the fact he did not pay attention to what was happening around him when it cames to his players. The book North Dallas Forty shows that. I also think that is the media in the 70's would have been as rabid as they are now, more problems would have come to light.

You talk about the off the field lives of people like Staubach, well the 90's cowboys had that with players like Aikman,Bates, Johnston, and SMith..BUT again the media now days do not care about the good guy stories, they want to focuse on the bad guy ones.

As far as the retirment part. Landry said it himself in his book that he was not ready to retire. So how could have Jones make it any smoother?

Bullaholic
10-04-2005, 09:54 AM
IMO, txb, "North Dallas Forty" was not a completely unbiased, accurate account of the Dallas Cowboys family. I think it was a fictional work made for entertainment purposes with some content rooted in actual events, so it has to be viewed in that light.

Yes, other Cowboys teams have had some respectable players and I am not trying to make a "most respectable Cowboy" case for any player or team. I am saying that respectability for a player was a more highly regarded quality in the older days by the media, players, and fans.

Tom Landry did want to continue coaching the Cowboys, and getting him to retire gracefully may have taken a little "persuading" by Tex Schram and others, but I think it would have been accomplished if there had been a little more time. I do not think Tom Landry really wanted to coach a Jerry Jones owned team, and I think his reluctance to retire was his way of "protesting" the handing over of "his" Cowboys to Jones.

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2005, 10:28 AM
here is some insight into the North Dallas Forty story

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/021101.html

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I wonder... if Tom Landry can forgive Jerry Jones then isn't it time for some of us fans to forgive him?:thinking:
Back to the original topic, if the Saint's moved to SA it would be a huge NFL PR nightmare. The timing is what stinks but this has been talked about for years. Benson has had discussions about this quite awhile. Last year the SA Express reported that the Alamodome could be upgraded for 5 million to an acceptable NFL quality stadium complete with lucrative box seating. There are enough big boys in town to fill these profitable luxury boxes.

jmcgee
10-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
here is a formula i will teach yall
jerry+jones=idiot
lol
I studied that formula in highschool.

Bullaholic
10-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I wonder... if Tom Landry can forgive Jerry Jones then isn't it time for some of us fans to forgive him?:thinking:
Back to the original topic, if the Saint's moved to SA it would be a huge NFL PR nightmare. The timing is what stinks but this has been talked about for years. Benson has had discussions about this quite awhile. Last year the SA Express reported that the Alamodome could be upgraded for 5 million to an acceptable NFL quality stadium complete with lucrative box seating. There are enough big boys in town to fill these profitable luxury boxes.

You're sure right, SFan---apologies for the diversion, but I did enjoy the Landry discussion with txb. I think the Saints in SA would be great---but even better--how about a new NFL franshise for SA and the Saints stay in NO?

District303aPastPlayer
10-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by jmcgee
I studied that formula in highschool.

good to know i wasnt the only one... i kinda remember it.., but slept alot

SintonFan
10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You're sure right, SFan---apologies for the diversion, but I did enjoy the Landry discussion with txb. I think the Saints in SA would be great---but even better--how about a new NFL franshise for SA and the Saints stay in NO?
lol
I enjoyed the piracy arghhhh ye pirates.....:)
While the best possible scenario would be that the Saints stay in NO and SA gets an expansion team I don't see this happening. I'm not sure but isn't Jerry Jones on the league expansion commitee? If that was the case, then fuhgetaboutit...
lol
The reason SA built the dome in the first place was for the expansion that had SA in mind in the first place(mid 90's). What happened is Carolina and Jacksonville got theirs and SA was left in the cold. Lots of ppl here in SA haven't forgotten that. More are now clamoring the the dome should be torn down because of the drain on taxpayers and waste of space. I don't have much faith that we'll get an expansion team at all.:(
Roswell would have one before SA will.:D