PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone catch Lidge's F-Bomb

Gobbla2001
10-02-2005, 06:53 PM
After the win and his save he was being interviewed and said 'f**king', corrected it to 'freaking', then said 'you'll have to excuse my language'...

He took it in stride, didn't skip a beat... Great save, Lidge...

GS#17
10-02-2005, 09:11 PM
I saw it... I wasn't even sure he said it until he said, "You'll have to excuse my language." :D

Bandera YaYa
10-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Who cares..it was a great win! WOOHOO GO STROS!!! :clap: :clap:

Brahma73
10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Got it on TIVO. The wife and I play it when we need a laugh. He's just an excited kid. What a great team of really good guys. Hope they defy the odds.

Keith7
10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
hopefully he gets fined for this incedent like every other person who does it

Bull's-eye
10-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Don't fine him, just have his mother wash his mouth out with soap. :D The word was not used in a derogatory manner, but in an expression of happiness and excitement. He did correct himself and asked to excuse his language.

Gobbla2001
10-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
hopefully he gets fined for this incedent like every other person who does it

Rangers fan?

Ranger Mom
10-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Don't fine him, just have his mother wash his mouth out with soap. :D The word was not used in a derogatory manner, but in an expression of happiness and excitement. He did correct himself and asked to excuse his language.

This is the first I have heard of it...but had I heard him...I would have been laughing my butt off!

Even though it is a "bad word"...the context in which it was used is the difference here! I agree with Bull's-eye!!

Gobbla2001
10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I thought that it was halarious...

If I am no mistaken, he was either talking about the bench, the bullpen, or a combination of both...

"The bench/bullpen has just been really f**king, freaking great for us this year, you'll have to excuse my language..."

Now if he would have done that, and then would have pushed the guy interviewing him, I could really see some fines...

Bull's-eye
10-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I read where Phil Garner typed a fake letter telling Lidge he had been fined $25,000 by MLB. Lidge went around for about a hour thinking it was real!:D

lepfan
10-05-2005, 01:16 PM
We all get excited and slip every once in a while....I was refering to Keystone, (can't remember the state) in class the other day and called it Keystone, Colorado...hmmmm, I wonder what was on my mind :rolleyes:

AggieJohn
10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Astros punk Lidge over language
Teammates tease mild-mannered closer for postgame swear
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Brad Lidge may be one of the most polite players in all of baseball, which makes his on-air gaffe on Sunday all the more surprising.
Caught up in the heat of the Astros' clinch of their second straight Wild Card berth, Lidge's words were flowing freely during a postgame interview with a local television station. He accidentally slipped and sputtered a word he rarely uses in the privacy of his own home, let alone when he's speaking in front of millions on television.

He quickly apologized for the error, but knew some of the damage was irreversable. For that, he is sorry.

"It's amazing what adrenaline and heat-of-the-moment stuff can do," Lidge said. "I try to go out of my way not to swear.

"I was caught up in the moment, a real embarrassing moment. I'm trying to backpedal as much as I can, and trying to pretend it never happened. Obviously, I'm sorry about it and very embrarrassed."

He told his parents as much when they called almost immediately after they watched the interview on television.

"Neither were extremely pleased," he said. "They said, 'This wasn't your best postgame interview.'"

In the end, Lidge did receive a punishment of sorts for his on-air slip. Manager Phil Garner, with the help of a computer-crafty front-office staffer, took an old release from the Commissioner's Office, pasted the letterhead on a new document and printed a new release announcing a hefty fine.

"It said that Commissioner Selig is pretty upset with the comments, that they're trying to keep the game clean," Lidge said. "Due to the language I used, the team will receive a $25,000 fine."

Garner delivered the note to Lidge and said sternly, "I think [club owner] Drayton [McLane] is going to want to talk to you."

Gulp.

"He sounded like it was a serious issue," Lidge said.

Of the $25K fine, he thought, "You've got to be kidding me. That seems pretty steep."

The joke went on for a while, with teammates playing along.

"No one cracked a smile," Lidge said. "I was rattled for about an hour."

Finally, Garner figured Lidge had enough and told his closer that it was all a joke.

"If there's anybody on this ballclub that I would call proper, it's him," Garner said. "He would not say a dirty word around a woman if his life depended on it. It's sort of unfortunate, but the truth of the matter is, it was an exciting moment. I'm sure he doesn't feel good about it. It's not what Brad Lidge is all about, by any stretch of the imagination."