PDA

View Full Version : Article on Corey Fulbright

Matthew328
09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Former Everman CB taking life on stages
Acting school behind him, Fulbright eyes big screen stardom

10:09 PM CDT on Sunday, September 18, 2005

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

Corey Fulbright would like everyone to forget about the 2002 high school football season. He'd like everyone to put the tragic story of his paralyzing injury in a time capsule that only he could open.

Fulbright hopes to move to Los Angeles soon and start his acting career. He would rather everyone focus on last Friday, the day he became an acting school graduate.

Almost three years after breaking his neck in a football game, the 20-year-old Fulbright received his associate of applied arts degree in acting performance from KD Studio, an acting school in Dallas. He performed in a showcase Wednesday for friends and family and Thursday in front of talent agents and casting directors. He performed and graduated on Friday.

"When it was all over, I felt like shouting," Fulbright said. "I finally made it through the grace of God."

Fulbright, who played defensive back at Everman, sustained a fractured C-5 vertebra while making a hit during the Class 3A Division I state final against Burnet on Dec. 14, 2002, in San Antonio.

The hit was a turning point in the game. Burnet led, 7-0, when Fulbright made a hit on Patrick Miller, breaking up a third-down pass and forcing a punt. Everman went on to win, 35-14.

Fulbright has been in an electric wheelchair since the accident. He didn't let his injury stop him from graduating with his class at Everman, and he didn't let it stop him from reaching his goal of earning an acting degree.

And none smiled brighter than his mother, Tammy, as he received that degree.

"I know it was a struggle because we've all been through a whole lot," she said. "And now we are all so proud of him. It was an awesome feeling."

Fulbright should have graduated in early 2004 but had to push back his education after having a kidney and his appendix removed. He delayed his studies a second time shortly after the operations because of illness.

But he was driven to finish.

"He had the determination that this situation would not deter him from pursing his dream," said T.A. Taylor, the school's director of education.

"Even though he's in a wheelchair, he didn't let anything stop him," added 22-year-old Alvin Whitaker, who performed last week with Fulbright in a scene from Private Wars, a comedy involving injured men in an Army hospital after the Vietnam War.

"Wherever he wants to get, he'll get there. The gods have been good to Corey."

In Private Wars, Fulbright played Gately, a radio-fixing country boy who has common sense and intelligence on opposite spectrums. He and Whitaker, who played a self-proclaimed big-city Casanova named Silvio, dazzled the crowds Wednesday through Friday. The crowd Thursday was most important to impress, as talent scouts watched and took notes.

Last week wasn't Fulbright's acting debut. He's also appeared in The Great White Hope. Instructors said Fulbright's acting assets are his sense of humor and ability to become serious when times warrant.

"He's got quite a clever streak. There's something always going on with Corey," said Sara Weeks, a KD Studio instructor who worked with Fulbright in The Great White Hope.

"He's very observant, and he takes in everything. That puts him in great position to give a lot. Plus, he's brought a lot of his personality into that role [of Gately]. I'm going to miss having him at work."

As Fulbright prepares for his quest to find stardom on the big screen, he still has aspirations to walk again. He said he moved his legs by himself last month. His mother said physical therapy now is a top priority. He chose to delay physical therapy to finish his schooling.

Fulbright hopes after this round of therapy to move to Los Angeles with his uncle Steven Monroe, a film director, producer and actor. If he makes the big screen, so be it.

But if he doesn't, no one can say he gave up. Just like he didn't give up on his acting dream after losing his ability to walk.

"I want people to remember me as a person who always was on the grind, someone who did his thing and never quit," Fulbright said. "I want them to say that I always kept my head up and had faith."

E-mail dsayles@dallasnews.com

COREY FULBRIGHT

Born: April 30, 1985

High school: Fulbright was a standout defensive back for an Everman team that won back-to-back Class 3A state championships. His career ended when he was paralyzed following a hit in the state final against Burnet.

Notable: Fulbright's mother, Tammy, said he rode a train from Fort Worth to Dallas five days a week to get to acting class. ... Fulbright and his family received a house, a wheelchair-accessible minivan and more than $200,000 in donations after he was paralyzed in December 2002. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wrote a $10,000 check to his family, and the city of Burnet, Texas, raised more than $100,000. ... Fulbright was awarded the District 8-3A spirit award for keeping a positive attitude after the injury.

Quotable: "I know my talent, and I'm never nervous going out in front of people. I guess it helps that I'm a clown." – Corey Fulbright on acting

LIGHTS, COREY, ACTION
Corey Fulbright wants to be the next big-name actor to come out of KD Studio. Here is a list of five graduates with prominent roles in movies, television shows or commercials:

Gobbla2001
09-21-2005, 08:36 PM
That is awesome... what a great example of the phrase 'never give up'...

Way to go, man...

ML05
09-21-2005, 08:39 PM
That article was great to read. I'm glad to see Corey is doing well. I've thought about him ever since his accident. Hope things to continue to go good for him. Thanks for posting, Matthew!

Chris Hart
09-21-2005, 09:57 PM
What an awesome young man! He has handled adversity as well or probably better than anyone. Way to go Corey!!! Good luck in LA!:)

Ranger Mom
09-21-2005, 10:02 PM
WOW!!

That brought tears to my eyes and sent chills down my spine.

God Bless You Corey!

lepfan
09-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
WOW!!

That brought tears to my eyes and sent chills down my spine.

God Bless You Corey!

Same here!

pirate4state
09-22-2005, 12:58 AM
:clap: That is so wonderful to hear!! :clap: I hope his dreams come true!! :) Good Luck Corey. :thumbsup:

FootballChik98
09-22-2005, 01:27 AM
That's great to hear. Good luck to Corey in all that he does! Thanks for posting Matthew.

olddawggreen
09-22-2005, 03:56 AM
Thanks Matthew, I often wonder how Corey is doing, he is quite an inspiring young man. I am happy to read that he is doing well.:)

AggieJohn
09-22-2005, 06:34 AM
i remember that kid, i hope everything turns out okaky

tc8232
09-22-2005, 09:25 AM
great story, wish we had more feel good stories like this. if there were i might watch the news once in awhile, get tired of hearing who killed who

District303aPastPlayer
09-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Thanks Matthew, I often wonder how Corey is doing, he is quite an inspiring young man. I am happy to read that he is doing well.:)

just hte other day iw as thinking about him too... i saw something on Gridiron Heros and he popped into my head.