PDA

View Full Version : rankings don't mean jack

riverboat gambler
07-26-2002, 07:29 AM
Can anyone tell me what happened to this web site?

Atl_Rabb_Fan
07-26-2002, 09:26 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. It was a pretty good site and I like the fan poll they did every week. I just hope they get it back this year.

SintonFan
07-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Even the rankingsdontmeanjack website had a ranking part to it. Of course Rankings don't mean jack . The games are played on the field, but with many weeks to kickoff this gives some of us something to do.

Rankings are a form of opinion
Rankings shouldn't be taken too seriously
Rankings are never enjoyed by people whose teams are never ranked high.

riverboat gambler, would you please explain yourself?

Jacket2000
07-26-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by riverboat gambler:
Can anyone tell me what happened to this web site?

When Homestead started charging for the web space many webmasters, including RDMJ, decided it wasnt worth it. So, the sites were lost.
J2K

Lions56
07-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Sinton fan thats a good poing rankings are just something to talk about before actual play begins on the field it also gives you a chance to see how good your predictions are at the end of the year.

Big Tarp 74
07-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Sinton Fan, I could not agree more. The problem with ratings from a coach point of view, is it place you right in the crosshairs of every teams that plays you. It is very hard as a coach to keep his team sharp of every game, when all the other shools are doing is trying to knock you off that rating. Our coaches love not being rated. This takes off unneeded pressure, and keeps the team better zero in on winning each game.

SintonFan
07-27-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Big Tarp 74:
Sinton Fan, I could not agree more. The problem with ratings from a coach point of view, is it place you right in the crosshairs of every teams that plays you. It is very hard as a coach to keep his team sharp of every game, when all the other shools are doing is trying to knock you off that rating. Our coaches love not being rated. This takes off unneeded pressure, and keeps the team better zero in on winning each game.
I agree with you too! I think instead, that if teams place you on their crosshairs, it will only help your club come playoff time. Celina hasn't chosen inferior copmetition (overall) in their most important streak years. This could be another reason PI is the 'Class of the RGV'. They see only the best of their opponents and it shows. The winners up north aren't afraid of great competition in pre-district and it shows in the play-offs. In the RGV, PI is allways (with a few exceptions) picked to win their district. This helps them to be the target locally. They deserve to be the target, it makes them better. Thanks Lions56.

Big Tarp 74
07-29-2002, 07:22 PM
SintonFan, I agree, but our coaches tend to take it to the extreme. We would be better off playing top ranked 3A schools like sinton, cuero, commerce, gonzales, but try avoiding big schools with lots of enrollment, such as Los Fresnos. What our coaches tell me is that this game means more to these two ballclubs than winning their district. Our coaches, get worried when both teams try so hard to win, and cause themselves several costly injures. Since the game does not count for district, why are the players going at each other like this is a state champonship game. The coaches have stated that this in the past has cost both school dearly, and neither team made it to the playoffs. The other problem is the timming. This is the last pre-season game prior to district. If they loss the game, the coaches stated it hard to get them up for the next game which realy counts. Our new coach has stated he just fear, injures with this kind of game. He working on having Port Isabel play tough teams, that are equal in numbers and size. He stated you want to play tough teams, as long as you are not placing half of them in a war, and risking serious injures to your top player, because they are having to play both ways, while the other teams, has no worries, because they have several backup in these areas, and sometime it cost both. Our coaches stated, is it worth all of that, rather than trying to schedule good quality teams, that are even in enrollment and size, rather than just playing teams that much larger enrollments, but are not a good quality team.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 10:08 PM
It always baffles me why everyone is now so afraid of Los Fresnos. We used to beat the living hell out of them year after year despite the fact they were a much bigger school! Coach Pena comes in and starts a losing streak against them......and now the once proud people of P.I. who had NO fear of Los Fresnos, now tremble with fear at the thought of playing Los Fresnos. Pathetic...maybe it's because of that fear that Port Isabel is STILL losing to Los Fresnos.

and you wonder WHY people from other Regions up north disrespect teams from south texas now.......it's attitudes like that that will prevent Port Isabel from gaining ANY sort of respect.

That's why Coach Tony, in 1994, scheduled us against three 4A teams in non-district, most notably, the defending 32-4A champs Edcouch Elsa.......we beat them, AND they won their district that year too! Do you remember how many heads turned towards P.I. when that happened? I say leave Los Fresnos on the schedule, and start another 20+ year win streak against them.

bc 76
07-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Tarpon fan the 4a teams that you beat are not considerd 4a powerhouse teams.Just like the 3a teams in east texas ,you need to play teams like bay city ,la marqe ,texas city and beat them to get any kind of respect.I would love to see a team from the rgv to win a state championship.I would like to see sinton play bay city in non distgame.Bay city does open the season aganst corpus christi carrol.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bc 76:
Tarpon fan the 4a teams that you beat are not considerd 4a powerhouse teams.Just like the 3a teams in east texas ,you need to play teams like bay city ,la marqe ,texas city and beat them to get any kind of respect.I would love to see a team from the rgv to win a state championship.I would like to see sinton play bay city in non distgame.Bay city does open the season aganst corpus christi carrol.

Well, at the time, (1994) Edcouch Elsa was considered one of the most dominant 4A teams in the area. They are not right now, but at the time they were.

sinton66
07-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Hmmmm, I'D like to see Sinton play Bay City too! Believe it would be a heck of a game.
Hey, if they're willing to travel to Corpus, Sinton's just as close!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited July 30, 2002).]