PDA

View Full Version : Sim cards

pirate4state
09-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Can anyone answer this question:

I have a Cingular issued sim card. Can the sim card be used in ANY phone? I have an old Nextel phone that I don't use anymore and was wondering if I could just place the Cingular sim card in that phone? :thinking: Any useful help will be appreciated. Thanks.

TheDOCTORdre
09-20-2005, 07:32 PM
funny you should ask that question i have been wondering the same thing for the past few weeks

Ranger Mom
09-20-2005, 07:37 PM
I just talked to my sister-in-law who works for Cingular....albeit in the Bankruptcy Department.

She wasn't 100% sure, but she did not think they could be!

pirate4state
09-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just talked to my sister-in-law who works for Cingular....albeit in the Bankruptcy Department.

She wasn't 100% sure, but she did not think they could be! :( I hate this phone. :weeping: Thanks Kellye.

c-town_balla
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
uh.....i have one and unless you have a new phone that suports Sim cards no......but if it does you can do what ever you want

pirate4state
09-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
uh.....i have one and unless you have a new phone that suports Sim cards no......but if it does you can do what ever you want It is a new phone that supports sim cards so I inserted the cingular sim card into the nextel phone and it is asking me for a special code? :confused:

ILS1
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
uh.....i have one and unless you have a new phone that suports Sim cards no......but if it does you can do what ever you want

C-town balla is right. Plus,it has to be phone that works on the Cingular network and not Nextel. So in other words,that phone will NOT work because I don't THINK it has SIM card capability because Nextel phones don't support that technology. Sorry. You either have to buy a new phone thru Cingular or get Nextel service to turn on that phone. But I have a feeling that's not gonna happen,especially with all the cancellation fees that companies charge.

pirate4state
09-20-2005, 08:02 PM
:weeping: darn! so I guess now that Sprint & Nextel have merged maybe that will work? :thinking: Now, I'm just being stubborn. :D

ILS1
09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:weeping: darn! so I guess now that Sprint & Nextel have merged maybe that will work? :thinking: Now, I'm just being stubborn. :D

Unless you want to activate that Nextel phone. I just recently left Sprint after 7 1/2 years. I'm with Cingular now. I can FINALLY get a signal in my bedroom!!! Wooohoooooooo!!!!

:D :D

Rabbit'93
09-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
C-town balla is right. Plus,it has to be phone that works on the Cingular network and not Nextel. So in other words,that phone will NOT work because I don't THINK it has SIM card capability because Nextel phones don't support that technology. Sorry. You either have to buy a new phone thru Cingular or get Nextel service to turn on that phone. But I have a feeling that's not gonna happen,especially with all the cancellation fees that companies charge. Nextel does have SIM cards. You can't swap. It's like software that only works with Mac or PC.

big daddy russ
09-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
C-town balla is right. Plus,it has to be phone that works on the Cingular network and not Nextel. So in other words,that phone will NOT work because I don't THINK it has SIM card capability because Nextel phones don't support that technology. Sorry. You either have to buy a new phone thru Cingular or get Nextel service to turn on that phone. But I have a feeling that's not gonna happen,especially with all the cancellation fees that companies charge.
I worked for Nextel for a while... if it's not one of their old bricks it does use SIM technology. The only phone network I know of that hasn't gone from IMEI is Sprint (POS :foul: ). My old Nextel SIM card transferred to a T-Mobile phone about three years ago and worked, but I wouldn't give you any guarantees on whether or not it would now.

MontyPython
09-21-2005, 08:44 AM
You can use any SIM card with any SIM card capable phone. If, however, you have a Cingular SIM card, and you want to use a T-Mobile or Nextel phone, you have to get the phone unlocked. A rep at a store can usually tell you where you can get that done, it will cost you about $40 (under the table) and probably will not be done at the store, but somewhere more secluded.

pirate4state
09-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MontyPython
You can use any SIM card with any SIM card capable phone. If, however, you have a Cingular SIM card, and you want to use a T-Mobile or Nextel phone, you have to get the phone unlocked. A rep at a store can usually tell you where you can get that done, it will cost you about $40 (under the table) and probably will not be done at the store, but somewhere more secluded. shady :cool: :evillaugh Thanks.