PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Toughest College Football Conference

BMOC
09-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Which is the toughest conference in football year after year??

lostaussie
09-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I am a big 12 fan, but i think team for team the sec is the best. that is not saying they have the BEST team just overall better teams.

spiveyrat
09-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Year after year? Definitely the SEC.

JasperDog94
09-19-2005, 02:31 PM
The past couple of years I'd have to say the Big XII but this year I'd go with the SEC.

big daddy russ
09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
I actually think the SEC is a little down this year. I'm going with the ACC. I think their middle-of-the road teams could take out the SEC, Big XII and Big Ten's middle-of-the-road teams... plus they have three top-tier programs in Miami, VaTech and Florida State.

handNthedirt
09-19-2005, 03:13 PM
It's not Big XII or Pac 10, the bottom feeders of these conferences are far worse than those of SEC and ACC....which I think is a toss up, year after year.

schu1213
09-19-2005, 04:08 PM
I think that right now it would be the sec, but i think the acc will become the supreme confrence in the future. Some people believe that one day the acc will be one big "super confrence".

Astrosdawg07
09-19-2005, 05:42 PM
SEC or Big 12

VWG
09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
ACC for sure.
Look at their teams compared to the other conferences.
With the addition of Miami, Boston College, Va. Tech... it's a no brainer.

ro_tex_solja
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
holy mess can people for once quit being homers....there is no ways its the big 12....i voted for the acc....its a loaded house in the acc....miami fsu vt clemson nc state and bc....there is no way its the big 12....its definitely the acc

Ranger05
09-19-2005, 07:09 PM
i think its the SEC with the ACC running a close 2nd

Keith7
09-19-2005, 07:12 PM
homers!!

Gobbla2001
09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm not a homer, so I voted SEC...

Year in, year out (As the question stated), this is by far the toughest...

You had KSU here and there, Nebraska back in the day and OU/UT... What else did the big 12 really have?

Up until Mack Brown came into town, UT really wasn't doing anything... until Stoops, OU was losing to UT... Neb looks like crap as of late and KSU's pan no longer reflects flashes...

The BIG XII North was a fine example of that last year... Colorado wasn't even AT .500 much less above and they made the confrence championship game... So basically half of the Big XII sucked...

Then you have A&M having a decent season but getting crapped on by Tennesee in the Cotton Bowl, which is an SEC team btw...

TT? They beat Cal, but we all know they're just an offensive show, half of their team is tough, the other half really isn't...

BAYLOR?

OSU?

The south was 'okay' at best last year, the North stunk, and you think they're the best year in and year out?

Neb's done for now, OU is done for now, A&M's still trying to impress, TT is trying to find people who can stop instead of run/throw it and Colorado's crappy team is prolly gunna make the confrence championship again, basically it looks like a UT show right now...

I'm a UT fan and all, but minus the Sooner and Longhorn show, the Big XII has been VERY short of being the toughest college football confrence...

Tackle75
09-19-2005, 07:38 PM
When you consider the fact that the BIg 12 has been represented in 4 natl championship games in the past 6 years, they have to be considered one of the top. The acc might be a top conference later on. but right now, no way. I mean does Miami or FSU look like a national contender right now.

You'd have to be sipping some of Grandpa's cough medicine to think that.

The SEC might be a top tier conference, but there are a few question marks.

Big 12 is just as good as SEC right now.

i think honestly the Big 10 might be the toughest right now.

with Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue and possibly even Wisconsin being all being top notch teams.

Even though OHio State lost to Texas.

Texas is not the entire Big 12,

We are just comparing conferences. i think right now id give the big 10 the nod.

big daddy russ
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Tackle75
When you consider the fact that the BIg 12 has been represented in 4 natl championship games in the past 6 years, they have to be considered one of the top. The acc might be a top conference later on. but right now, no way. I mean does Miami or FSU look like a national contender right now.

You make a pretty good point, 75. I do think the Big Ten is good, but stack them up against the ACC and it's tough. I think the SEC comes in third and the Pac-10 and Big XII barely avoid being labeled "suckiest BCS conferences," losing a close one to the Big East.

VaTech is a legit national contender. I'd put them, UT and USC on the same level. A small notch below them you have Miami and FSU in the ACC... Ohio State, Michigan and Minny are right there in the Big Ten.

Team by team, top to bottom, I think they stack up like this:
ACC/Big 10
1. VaTech/Ohio State
2. FSU/Michigan
3. Miami/Minnesota
4. Georgia Tech/Michigan State
5. Boston College/Iowa
6. Clemson/Purdue
7. NC State/Penn State
8. Virginia/Wisconsin
9. North Carolina/Illinois
10. Maryland/Indiana
11. Wake Forest/Northwestern

Throw in negative points for the ACC. The Coastal division has a team that lost to East Carolina. Stick to hoops, Duke.

IMHO, I think the ACC may lose a little ground 4-7, but make up for it everywhere else. Just my opinion, though.

neck_06
09-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Usually i would vote for the Big XII, but this year, with Oklahoma losing, and nobody else really showing that they are gonna give the horns a game, i'm gonna have to go with the SEC