PDA

View Full Version : jaxson appel story

AggieJohn
09-18-2005, 11:34 PM
i ripped this off an aggie chat board, if it's true, then quite amazing

My parents came into town for the game and had a grand old time in the shady section, with me stuck up in section 331. After the game, we go out to eat at delicious McCallister's and my mother is dying to tell me about the game. I'm a junior so I'm a bit surprised how excited she is to tell me something because she's seen the Ags beat the hell out of schools before. She waits until we're all sitting and listening. She then tells me one of the best stories I'd ever heard.

Now my parents aren't old Ags, but they've come to love the university they've sent their son to. One of the things I've taught them is that Jaxson Appel is one of my favorite players, and honestly, lots of people's favorite. So there they are in the stadium and they are chatting with the people behind them and can't help but notice their "Jaxson's Mom" and "#19 Appel" t-shirts. They ask and sure enough, they don't just wear the shirts, but are in fact his family. They chat a little bit and eventually they tell my parents this story.

Now as we all know, in highschool Appel was a defender like none other... but what I didn't know is that he was also a featured running back. Before each game, his mom would tell Jaxson to "score one for me." When he invariably would, he tapped his helmet for her so she knew that he was thinking of her.

Then one day during the school week, the Appel family recieved bad news: Jaxson's grandfather had passed away. Particularly saddening was that it was going to be Grandpa's birthday the very next Friday. The days passed and on that night, his mother told him not to score one for her, but to score one for Grandpa. He did, and when he crossed the plane of the endzone, he got down on one knee, and pointed his finger to the sky. For Grandpa, and then the rest of the team followed suit. The entire team.

Now as my parents are listening to this story, they're getting slightly teary eyed, as was Mrs. Appel, and even me on retelling this.

She continued. On gameday for the Texas A&M atheletes, they get to see family for only a few minutes when they get to the Bright Complex, and then they have to go get suited up. When Mrs. Appel saw her son before the game that morning, she only had time to tell him one thing... today was Grandpa's birthday.

Mrs. Appel, quite teary at this point, had finished her part of the story.

Jaxson told the rest. SMU, deep in their own territory, was ready to punt. They got a clean snap and a good catch... but Amos Ghunblee blocked it and the ball bounced right into the hands of #19 for a Fightin' Texas Aggie touchdown. The sluggish start to the game had finally been broken and the good guys had put points on the board. Kyle Field erupts.

But Jaxson took a knee, and pointed to Grandpa. That one was for him.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/373/jaxson2tp.jpg

MARLINDOGS
09-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Thats a great post.Thanks for sharing the story AggieJohn.:clap: :clap: :clap: