PDA

View Full Version : CrossCountry-Bridge City Middle School-"Tradition Never Graduates!"

Old Cardinal
09-18-2005, 08:12 PM
In tracing down a little history in the BCISD, I learned of a little slogan that actually started in the middle school. It seems that a little sign was set up to encourage youngsters to sign up for CrossCountry that simply said:

"Bridge City CrossCountry-- Tradition Never Graduates"

Now you would of thought that would be more appropriate in say the HS, right? But something happened--that Middle School over nearly a 5 year period has reeled off 22 straight meet wins, sometimes against very large enrollment opponents. My latest stats say they won taking 7 of the top 10 spots in a meet!
I hear about all these "couch potato kids" but I see schools like BC, H-F, and OF to name a few that have made running fun for youth.
The good results thus far that Coaches Cody Knight and Miller are having with the HS youth is a direct result of a bunch of younger youth that have a concrete belief that "Bridge City CrossCountry--Tradition Never Graduates" is a reachable reality.
I see youth(three of them-these are girls) out in the country where I live running their hearts out and I am reminded that all across the area these assorted youth are getting ready. Some of the boys are now running against the Lamar University C-C team in non-formal training, just to get a feel for better competition pacemakers.

If you have made it this far, would you tell some story about unique things that your youth are doing in your 3A District? I think a lot of us want to hear the uplifting stories about the youth of this nation.

Old Cardinal
09-19-2005, 08:27 AM
It was 75 degrees and a little fog was drifting off the rice canal along West Roundbunch(Hwy 1442) and at 7 am there they were--running the levee banks.
I saw Ryan Kelly, English, and Sleeman. Kelly is close to breaking into the top seven that can run a Varsityevent; English is in the lower end of the times for the Varsity; Sleeman is a Senior that has returned back to run, if only to be ready to step in if someone faster turns an ankle of something.
I talked to Ryan Kelly at the last football game and the freshman said he has knocked off 42 seconds since his beginning 8th grade year-- last year.

These are young folks that may not even get to run in the big races but want to back up the team's aces. I have seen them all running on the 98 degree days(with 98 % humidity:( ) and it was good seeing them running on such a cool autumn morning--the pace begins to quicken!