PDA

View Full Version : Top College Football Programs???

big daddy russ
09-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I was talking to a freshman at the A&M/SMU game today. Seemed like a nice kid and seemed like he knew a lot about football. But he said one thing that really shocked me.

Me: "Yeah, Notre Dame's getting back to where they're supposed to be in the world of college football. Charlie Weis will have them back as the number one program in the nation again pretty soon."

Him: "Yeah, and maybe Army and Navy will make a comeback too."

Did he really think it had been that long since the Irish were that big elephant of the CFB world that stomped everyone into the ground every year?

What I want to know is what program everyone else thinks is the top program of all time. I have a list of my personal top ten below, but when you think of the best who do you think of?

Is it Oklahoma? USC? 'Bama? Yale? Chicago? Feel free to vote for whomever, but let us know why you voted that way. Is it just who seems like they have the most tradition or is it the team everyone's always talked about?

My personal top 10 programs:

1. Notre Dame (More Associated Press National Championships than anyone else, more wins than any other school since 1900, more All-Americans than anyone but Yale, 7 Heismans, the Four Horsemen, The Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus, and the only SCHOOL to ever receive its own TV contract. 'Nuff said.)
2.Oklahoma (Their 7 AP National Titles spread from 1950 and 2000 and trails only the Fighting Irish. Between that, their 66 All-Americans, four Heisman trophies, three appearances in the BCS National Championship, one BCS Title and the single best football team ever... even if they did lose the final two games of the 2003 season... I'd say they deserve the two spot.)
3. Alabama (They're one shy of OU's 7 AP championships, but there's just something about being in the hunt just about every year for the better part of 75 years that puts them in that same category, IMO.)
4. USC (In 1925, Notre Dame HC Knute Rockne was looking for a high-profile opponent for his Fighting Irish. The Trojans of USC had great weather and, more importantly, were the big-name team of the West Coast. The coaches who scheduled the games made it a yearly clash, but it was the fact that these teams were the best of each half of the country that made it a grudge match. 70-someodd years, 5 AP National Championships and one World War later, you could safely say that Southern Cal is the Notre Dame of the West.)
5. Ohio State (They've been the big dogs in the Big Ten for the better part of a century. One of only three schools with at least one AP National Title during three consecutive decades ['42, '54, '68], the Buckeyes' success goes as far back as the conference. You think OSU, you think of the Horseshoe, of Woody Hayes, of Les Horvath, of Howard Cassady, of Eddie George, and of Archie Griffin and his two Heismans. The names go on and on. I could rattle off 71 All-Americans, but the most telling thing about the team's success is better told through the numbers: 28 conference titles, 10 undefeated seasons, 7 total national championships, and 4 AP National Titles.)
6. The University of Texas (With only two national titles, there are eight teams with more rings than the Longhorns. But this isn't simply about being the best team for the most years. This is about a sense of awe with a program. Minnesota has more titles than the Longhorns, but your average person doesn't gasp when they think about the tradition of Gopher football. This goes back to being one of the top two teams of one of the top three conferences in the nation (the SWC) for years. As much as I hate to say it, they're the flagship university of the most football-mad area of the world. Players like Chris Simms want to play in Austin just so they be a part of Texas football... and be a part of UT football. Then again, two AP national titles, 43 All-Americans and a lingering sense of them always in the title hunt doesn't hurt either.)
7. Yale (Another quick history lesson: back in the late-1800's, the Princeton football team came up with the "modern" game of football and began the phenomenon we know today. Princeton was a great team for a short while, but nobody could touch Yale. Through the first 33 years of college football, The Bulldogs were champions 24 times in the eyes of at least one of the major voting associations. They tacked one more national title [the Football Research crown] in 1927. Then, in 1956, the Ivy League officially breaks off from the rest of college football and plows their own road. Since then, Yale has won a league-best 13 Ivy League crowns [three more than Harvard] and has solidified its spot as the beacon of Ivy League football. All the while, they've racked up more All-Americans than anyone [100], two statues of a man named Heisman, and more championships than any other school. Oh, and they did it all WITHOUT ever giving scholarships to anyone for playing football OR ever competing in a postseason game.)
8. Michigan (Alright, I'm not gonna lie. I'm getting tired of writing, so I'll just list the credentials: 73 All-Americans, two AP National Titles, and one Heisman-winning defensive back.)
9. Nebraska (A Sea of Red, four AP National Titles, Tom Osborne, Johnny Rogers, Dave Rimington, Mike Rozier, Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, and the only modern team(s) that didn't have a QB and still won a national title ['94, '95].)
10. Tennessee (36 All-Americans, two AP National Titles, Colonel Neyland and Peyton Manning.)

Others (in no particular order):
Army, Harvard, Princeton, University of Chicago (if they were still around we'd probably be talking about them instead of Notre Dame), Miami, Florida State, Penn State, Oregon, Illinois, Minnesota, Pitt

Ranger05
09-18-2005, 03:07 AM
I voted for Norte Dame

MontyPython
09-18-2005, 03:39 AM
I voted for Texas because I'm a homer.

LogieJoeBean001
09-18-2005, 07:25 AM
I picked Texas just cause I believe in them.

I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE, lol!:D

lostaussie
09-18-2005, 10:02 AM
this poll is ludicrus. i am not a notre dame fan or michigan fan. but when you talk about history and prestige you talk about these 2 teams. i'll tell you texas fans something else and you ain't gonna like it. but if notre dame had continued to win (and thankfully they didn't) they would have passed texas in the polls. because the biased national media would have allowed it to happen. nobody has a season like they had last year, then goes 3-0 and flies up the radar like notre dame.

Astrosdawg07
09-18-2005, 10:35 AM
I went with Texas because in the last 10 years they have been a force to be messsing with.

pantherpop
09-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Texas, and for good reason. Have been a dominate football team, perhaps the best team in the nation this year and last year. College World Series Champs the last 2 years, very respectable in basketball. Not to mention swimming and other sports.

lostaussie
09-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by pantherpop
Texas, and for good reason. Have been a dominate football team, perhaps the best team in the nation this year and last year. College World Series Champs the last 2 years, very respectable in basketball. Not to mention swimming and other sports. i am so confused

pantherpop
09-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i am so confused
I think I didn't understand the post. Sorry!

Buccaneer
09-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Yale?

pantherpop
09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
O.K. The word was prestigious. NOW I'll have to go with Notre Dame. Lots of tradition plus I always liked the movie Rudy !!

BMOC
09-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pantherpop
Texas, and for good reason. Have been a dominate football team, perhaps the best team in the nation this year and last year. College World Series Champs the last 2 years, very respectable in basketball. Not to mention swimming and other sports.

First if all, The poll is also about Football Programs, not College Sports in General.
Second, it takes more then 2 years to be considered a "Prestigious Program" Notre Dame is not only famous for winning National Champions, but they are known for a bundle of other things that gives them the tradition and prestige that makes them ND. The Golden Dome, TouchDown Jesus; The Four Horsemen; Knute Rockne; and so much more. Now don't get me wrong, I am a Long Horn and bleed burnt ogange, but when it comes down to it, ND is one of the top College Football PROGRAMS.

sahen
09-18-2005, 02:54 PM
this poll is ludicrus. i am not a notre dame fan or michigan fan. but when you talk about history and prestige you talk about these 2 teams. i'll tell you texas fans something else and you ain't gonna like it. but if notre dame had continued to win (and thankfully they didn't) they would have passed texas in the polls. because the biased national media would have allowed it to happen. nobody has a season like they had last year, then goes 3-0 and flies up the radar like notre dame.
thats y it is better when notre dame isnt good....they will take someone's place in a BCS bowl that is more deserving if they win just because the media is in love w/ notre dame....

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-18-2005, 09:01 PM
ABILENE, Texas - The winningest college team in Texas over the past 15 years doesn't play in Austin. It's not in College Station or anywhere else in the Big 12, for that matter.

If you're looking for the team with the highest winning percentage in the state since 1990, you have to travel way down the ranks to Division III and way out west to Hardin-Simmons.

The 2,400-student private school is 127-37 in that span, a .774 winning percentage. That's better than Texas (.695), Texas A&M (.695), TCU (.540) and smaller powers Mary Hardin-Baylor (.737) and Texas A&M-Kingsville (.719).

OK, so it's not really fair to compare a tiny school that doesn't even offer scholarships to the powerhouses. It goes without saying who's really better. But even a mythical state title is impressive for a school that dropped football for nearly three decades and doesn't even have the biggest campus in Abilene.

"I guess it is surprising," said senior quarterback Jordan Neal. "But to be held up to some of the great programs, it's definitely flattering."

The Cowboys have posted 13 straight winning seasons, won 10 conference titles in the past 12 years and gone to the playoffs four of the past six years.

Jimmie Keeling, the coach since HSU resumed playing football in 1990 after a 27-year hiatus, doesn't appear all that impressed with the state's highest winning percentage.

"That's what they tell me," he said, smiling but offering little elaboration.

In fact, he says winning isn't even all that important. Sure, it's a coaching clich, but the more he talks, the more you believe him. When the 70-year-old Keeling discusses the success of his program, he focuses on character and graduation.

"We've had kids who are doctors, dentists and lawyers, so that says something," he said. "We're looking first of all for guys who are appropriate athletes and can also play."

Religion is also important at HSU, a Baptist school that along with Abilene Christian and McMurry is one of three private schools in this West Texas city of nearly 120,000. The Cowboys, whose games are carried live on local gospel station KAGT, read devotionals together before games and end every practice with a prayer.

"Our coaches are very personal," Neal said. "We go to church with them. They pray with us. They are men of character."

Keeling, who has a cross made of cowboy boots hanging on a wall behind his desk, said the team stresses "really loving each other."

"We just think it's important to be a family-type unit," he said. "I think we can emphasize the important things a little more."

But it's not all hugs and Kumbaya at Hardin-Simmons.

There's also a lot of hard work, on and off the field. Many players hold down jobs after school. They focus on schoolwork after practice, knowing that the NFL more than likely isn't their next stop.

That wasn't always the case in HSU's heyday.

The Cowboys won 105 of 146 games from 1935-1951, playing most of those years in the Border Conference that included Texas Tech, Arizona and Arizona State. They played in several bowls, and for some reason went to four of them in 1948. (They won the Harbour, Grape, Shrine and Camelia bowls.)

The program boasted a few notable names as well. In 1940, Hall of Famer Clyde "Bulldog" Turner was drafted by the Chicago Bears. The Cowboys were coached from 1941-1951 by Warren Woodson, widely considered the inventor of the Wing-T offense. After his NFL playing days, Hall of Famer Sammy Baugh coached HSU from 1954-1959.

HSU dropped football in 1963 because it was too costly.

When Keeling arrived in 1990 to revive the program, he brought 30 years of experience as a high school coach and a 196-91-11 record.

The Cowboys went 3-6 that first year with a mostly freshman team. The next year they were 5-5, and there has been nothing but winning since.

Despite their recent run, the Cowboys haven't done much in the postseason. They went 10-0 last year in the regular season, then lost in the first round to conference rival Mary Hardin-Baylor, the second-winningest program since 1990.

They made the playoffs eight of the 12 years before but only made it as far as the semifinals twice.

The Cowboys are hoping to finally break through with a national title this season, which begins at Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

But Keeling downplays those hopes.

"Our real goal is to be the best we can be," he said.

GreenGobbla
09-18-2005, 09:48 PM
notre dame fa sho

big daddy russ
09-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Yale?
Why the question mark?

big daddy russ
09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Just came across the University of Chicago's athletics site completely by accident and found out they're playing football again as a D3 school. Wonder what things would be like now if the Maroons would've kept playing. Would they be another Notre Dame or another Vandy? Would they still be to the Big Ten what USC is to the Pac-10, and if so would Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State have all become the programs they are today.? :thinking:

AggieJohn
09-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I went with Texas because in the last 10 years they have been a force to be messsing with.

and basing your vote on that is why you are a
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/174/2322/1024/homer.jpg

AggieJohn
09-18-2005, 11:28 PM
i want to go with USC, they have been first off back to back champions with 2 heisman winner just in the present history, i know...

some facts:

11 national championships

720 all time wins

against pac ten they are 375-119 all time

six heisman winners 4 of them tailbacks, and two of the qbs in just the last 40 years

65 first round picks, with a record 5 no. 1 picks

135 all americans, with 49 consensus out of those and 22 of them being unanimous

MARLINDOGS
09-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
and basing your vote on that is why you are a
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/174/2322/1024/homer.jpg It trips me out how you come up with some of this stuff.:clap: :clap:

pirate4state
09-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MARLINDOGS
It trips me out how you come up with some of this stuff.:clap: :clap: All he has to do is take his pic off the mantel!! :eek: :evillaugh

sorry, I couldn't help myself!! :D

AggieJohn
09-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
All he has to do is take his pic off the mantel!! :eek: :evillaugh

sorry, I couldn't help myself!! :D

excuse me, that was my 3rd grade picture

JasperDog94
09-19-2005, 09:09 AM
It wouldn't bother me if Notre Dame never won another football game...ever. I think it's bologna that even when they sucked they got on tv every week. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

Phil C
09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Strange Miami isn't on the list or any of the Florida teams.

hata_hurta06
09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
ohio state

Old Tiger
09-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Since I didn't make a homer pick I voted for Michigan

big daddy russ
09-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Miami wasn't good until Schellenberger got there in the late-70's, early-80's. Florida State was horrible until Bowden said "we'll take on all comers" back in 1976. Someone once told me that FSU had only won five games leading up to Bowden's arrival.

Florida may be a slightly different story. They've been better for a longer period of time, but it's been very off and on. You could pretty much mark down Steve Spurrier's presence on campus as an indicator of when they were good. He won a Heisman Trophy and a conference title back in the 60's, but they sucked it up until he came back as a coach in 1990. They did make it to the Orange Bowl once, the Sugar Bowl once, and the Peach Bowl once between '67 (the season after his senior year) and '89 (the last season before he was a head coach), but they were more of an Oklahoma State than what they are today.

handNthedirt
09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

It must be a cold day in hell.....I'm in agreeance with PhilC. I believe Florida State is easily one of the top 5 all time programs, far more prestigious than Texas.

Buccaneer
09-19-2005, 01:21 PM

Yeah, but Notre Dame would have had to beat USC to keep winning! So they leapfrog Texas to #1, Texas is still #2(sounds like Forney) and Notre Dame and Texas meet in the Rose Bowl! Too bad they lost to State!

bulldogbark
09-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I just didnt see William and Mary,,,My daughter said I have to cheer for them.:) :) :)

I mean the tribe is ranked # 7 in their division