PDA

View Full Version : strange play lastnight. need help

lostaussie
09-17-2005, 09:08 PM
paris, from about midfield faces roughly 4th and 15. punter drops back to punt. ball is snapped somewhere around 20 to 25 yards over his head. punter chasing ball, running for his life with about 6 buckeye defenders breathing down his neck, picks ball up on a crazy bounce. punter then turns and kicks on the run. ball flies very low about ten yards and grazes a gilmer player(i think) and continues traveling up the field for maybe 15 more yards. paris player picks it up on run and takes it to the house. touchdown paris!!!!!!! game stops for about 15 minutes while play is discussed and order is restored(it almost got out of hand). i don't think they made the correct call. help anybody.

mwynn05
09-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
paris, from about midfield faces roughly 4th and 15. punter drops back to punt. ball is snapped somewhere around 20 to 25 yards over his head. punter chasing ball, running for his life with about 6 buckeye defenders breathing down his neck, picks ball up on a crazy bounce. punter then turns and kicks on the run. ball flies very low about ten yards and grazes a gilmer player(i think) and continues traveling up the field for maybe 15 more yards. paris player picks it up on run and takes it to the house. touchdown paris!!!!!!! game stops for about 15 minutes while play is discussed and order is restored(it almost got out of hand). i don't think they made the correct call. help anybody. then it's the right call if thats how it happened

NateDawg39
09-17-2005, 09:10 PM
im confused:thinking: uggghhhh i cant think right now!

lostaussie
09-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
then it's the right call if thats how it happened ok so what if you tip a punt but instead of going backwards it goes forwards. the punting team cannot advance it , can they? this would basically be the same thing. and i don't know if it matters but the ball was not nearly to the original line of scrimmage when paris player picked it up.

CenTexSports
09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
The ball never crossed the line of scrimage so you don't have the same rules as for one that crosses thf LOS. It is just treated as a loose ball.

BootLegNumber5
09-17-2005, 09:19 PM
its the right call, cause even if you block a punt and it happens to go toward the line of scrimmage, the punting team can recover and run with the ball, it happened to kennedale last year vs. madison, there was no touch down though.

sinton66
09-17-2005, 09:21 PM
A punt is a change of possession play. If the opposing team doesn't touch it at all, the kicking team can only down the ball. If it is tipped or in any way is touched by the opposing team, it becomes a live ball and can be advanced.

lostaussie
09-17-2005, 09:22 PM
so if you block a punt, the team that actually gets it blocked can advance it if they reach the ball first?

CenTexSports
09-17-2005, 09:22 PM
NM

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Only if it crosses the LOS.

No the punting team can advanced a punt block only if the ball does NOT cross the LOS...if it crosses the LOS then it is still like a regualr punt and must be touched by another member of the punt return team before it is live

CenTexSports
09-17-2005, 09:47 PM
My reply was to the post two above mine not the question just above it. Sorry

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2005, 09:48 PM
whoops sorry :)

lostaussie
09-17-2005, 09:54 PM
there alot of arguing going on at another site about this exact play. but after reading these posts and knowing where the player picked up the ball, i now believe the correct call was made. but that doesn't make it any less wacky!!!!!

West22
09-17-2005, 10:22 PM
MY THINKING IS THAT IT COULD NOT BE ADVANCED BY THE KICKING TEAM UNLESS THE TIP WAS BEYOND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE BUT I COULD BE WRONG .

SnyTigBaseB07
09-17-2005, 11:26 PM
it was totally the right call...

since the ball was punted and came into contact with an opposing player its still live, then when paris' player picked it up he ran a live ball into the endzone, touchdown paris....

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by West22
MY THINKING IS THAT IT COULD NOT BE ADVANCED BY THE KICKING TEAM UNLESS THE TIP WAS BEYOND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE BUT I COULD BE WRONG .

If a punt is blocked then the punt team can advance the ball as long as it DOES NOT go past the LOS.

I saw it happen once and win a game for a team...they were punting down 6 with 4 minds left. the punt is blocked, bounces straight up into the arms of the punter. The only guy back there with him was the guy who blocked it and he is sprawled out on the ground, so the punter takes off gains the needed yards, they keep the drive going and score to win.