PDA

View Full Version : Game of the week Newton At WO-S

wos fan1
09-17-2005, 08:47 PM
#1 Newton in 2A at #2 in 3A WO-S Friday. What a game this is going to be.

NateDawg39
09-17-2005, 08:50 PM
WOW i cant wait!! Im gonna go with an upset(if you would consider it one) by Newton. I say by 10

wos fan1
09-17-2005, 08:52 PM
We're at home and i say we when by 7. The only weakness i saw in Newton is their secondary. We have a great passing game.

NateDawg39
09-17-2005, 08:52 PM
im sure the coaches will use that to advantage

wos fan1
09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
They looked at films all day. And will again Sunday. Our DC will figure out how to win.

Hupernikomen
09-17-2005, 09:12 PM
This is gonna be a good game. I'd have to give the edge to WO-S on history of matchup b/t the two and home field advantage.

WO-S by 1 score.

NateDawg39
09-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Both have incredible running backs and good at stoping the run aswell, could go down to who has the fewest mistakes

wos fan1
09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
I was looking back at WOS/Newton History when Newton was 3A and they've only scored once at our place. Going to be a good one though.

West22
09-17-2005, 10:38 PM
ONE THING FOR SURE NEWTON SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BEAT A GOOD 3A SCHOOL SO IF THEY LOSE THEY HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF .IF THEY WIN THEN IT DOES NOT SAY MUCH FOR THE LARGER SCHOOL .

Hupernikomen
09-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by West22
ONE THING FOR SURE NEWTON SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BEAT A GOOD 3A SCHOOL SO IF THEY LOSE THEY HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF .IF THEY WIN THEN IT DOES NOT SAY MUCH FOR THE LARGER SCHOOL .

Why shouldn't Newton be able to beat a good 3A school?

wos fan1
09-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Newton beat Jasper and Jasper could be right where they were last year. There are alot of good 3A teams Newton would beat! Probably about 80% of them.

Hupernikomen
09-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I believe Newton would beat 95% of 3A teams this year if not more.

80% of roughly 200 teams is 40 teams. I don't think there are 5 teams in 3A that could beat Newton. But that is just my opinion.

SuusJudex
09-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I believe Newton would beat 95% of 3A teams this year if not more.

80% of roughly 200 teams is 40 teams. I don't think there are 5 teams in 3A that could beat Newton. But that is just my opinion.

dood, 80% of 200 is 160 ... use a cacalater next time ...

wos fan1
09-18-2005, 12:01 AM
I think if Newton were still 3A they would go along way even in the playoffs.

West22
09-18-2005, 08:48 AM
THE POST ON NEWTON NOT BEATING A GOOD 3A WAS NOT A PUT DOWN ON NEWTON ,HOWEVER ARENT 3A TEAMS SUPPOSE TO BEAT 2A BASED ON HIGHER ENROLLMENTS , MORE ATHLETS TO PULL FROM, ETC.?

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2005, 09:18 AM
THE POST ON NEWTON NOT BEATING A GOOD 3A WAS NOT A PUT DOWN ON NEWTON ,HOWEVER ARENT 3A TEAMS SUPPOSE TO BEAT 2A BASED ON HIGHER ENROLLMENTS , MORE ATHLETS TO PULL FROM, ETC.?

Higher enrollment will give you a deeper talent pool. However, it doesn't necessarily give you better talent. If enrollment numbers won games, Jasper would be 2004 DII champs.

eagle.eyes
09-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Suus, he meant 200-160=40 teams Newton couldn't beat. I agree with Huper, 5-10 3A's AT THE MOST may have a shot at beating Newton. I personally wouldn't put a car ride & dinner at Morton's on it though!

eaglechick
09-18-2005, 10:08 AM
With Newton, anything is possible.

pantherpop
09-18-2005, 10:33 AM
What a game. I think I'll go with WOS just from what a friend of mine told me about their team. But Newton sounds awesome this year also. Where do they keep getting these kids from, year in and year out. It's like Kountze in basketball, every year they lose some kids to graduation but they just reload back into their athletic program. Anyway I say WOS 34 Newton 30 in a barnburner. I know its a long way from over but this will probably be the 2A and 3A State Champions. Newton will have a cake walk to the championship but the Mustangs will have to be at the top of their game cause there are a few teams in 3a that could knock them off.

Astrosdawg07
09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by wos fan1
#1 Newton in 2A at #2 in 3A WO-S Friday. What a game this is going to be.

Wos1 I really like yall but, Newton really showed me something last week.

wos fan1
09-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I saw them on tape yesterday and they are extremely fast, not real big but super quick. The only weakness i saw was their secondary. So hopefully we can throw on them quite a bit.

eaglechick
09-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, we are really fast. I think we have a good chance of beating WO-S.

wostexan
09-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I like WO-S in this game for one reason-Cornel Thompson. He always seems to have his players prepared for whatever a team throws at them. Whether it be speed or size, he always finds a way to counter their opponents strength. Plus WO-S has a little bit if speed themselves.

WOS1
09-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Wos1 I really like yall but, Newton really showed me something last week.

I'm guessing you're refering to WOS Fan 1. Anyway, it doesn't bother me that folks don't pick us to win. Everyone has their opinions. Besides, Newton is due against us. You play a program of that caliber enough, eventually they're going to get one. Hopefully, it will not be this year. :D

From what I understand, we will be in better shape injury wise than we have since the Jasper game. We will get 2 of our starters back on defense leaving us just one short, and we are getting a tailback and a lineman back who were missing some credits and not able to play until now. So both teams should pretty much be at full strength. Should be a great game.

J-Ag '09
09-18-2005, 12:45 PM
I think I've got to go with WO-S on this one.

Hupernikomen
09-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by eagle.eyes
Suus, he meant 200-160=40 teams Newton couldn't beat. I agree with Huper, 5-10 3A's AT THE MOST may have a shot at beating Newton. I personally wouldn't put a car ride & dinner at Morton's on it though!

Yeah thanks for clarifying for me. I meant to put 20% instead of the 80%. Point is still the same, there a very select few of 3A teams that could beat Newton. Higher enrollment doesn't always mean the best team is from the bigger school. Heck take girl's volleyball for example. There have been years when Wimberly or Leon were probably the best team in the state period.

Wonder how many 4A or 5A teams could have beaten the '83 Daingerfield team? Newton's not on par with that team, but certainly they are every bit as good as 95% of 3A teams this year.

BHBrave08
09-18-2005, 03:59 PM
My prediction...

Newton - 28

WOS - 21

Backwoods
09-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
I was looking back at WOS/Newton History when Newton was 3A and they've only scored once at our place. Going to be a good one though.

I think that this team will score more than 7. I hope we can give you a good game. A little 2A team against the #2 3A team? Maybe history will repeat itself. When we won the 3A state title in '98, our only loss was to 4A WOS. We would really like to have one more win this time. We're not here to read histort, we're here to make it this year. It should be a good game. :D

Where's a good place to eat down there? It's been a while.

Backwoods
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM

Are you picking on Jasper? We did a little better than WOS against them. Why is it that if you drop into a lower class, you're not as good all of a sudden. We are bigger and better than we were in 3A and we lived in the top 15 there. Look at the Texas Football Ratings site. There are SEVERAL 2A teams that would be in the 3A Top 15. Aren't those good schools (the 3A ones)? And watch out, Celina will probably will go to 3A next year and suddenly become better by being 3A? Thanks for the BB material.:p

WOS1
09-18-2005, 06:48 PM
West22 is not a WO-S fan, so I don't know what kind of BB material that will make.

I do not agree with the notion of Newton not being great just because they are 2A either. Coach Ronnie Anderson, who is in the Texas Highschool hall of fame, used to say the size of the school doesn't matter, good athletes are where you find them, and I know Newton has got some good ones.

Last, you really can't compare results of common opponents to guage your success. Different teams have different matchups. Case in point, we only beat Jasper by 6, Central beat them by 15. Then this week, we beat Central by 16, you just never know about this awesome game...

West22
09-18-2005, 08:47 PM
WOS 1, LAST YEAR I PICKED WOS TO GO ALL THE WAY .THIS YEAR I THINK THEY HAVE A GOOD CHANCE TO WIN IT ALL .I ALSO THINK NEWTON HAS A GOOD CHANCE TO WIN IT ALL .MY POINT WAS THAT LARGER CLASS SCHOOLS SHOULD BEAT LOWER CLASS SCHOOLS .I THINK THAT SMALLER SCHOOLS SHOULD PLAY LARGER ONES TO UNDERSTAND THEIR WEAKNESS THAT WILL PREPARE THEM FOR THE PLAYOFFS .IF WOS PLAYED HIGHLAND PARK AND LOST IT WOULD NOT REFLECT ON THEM AS BAD AS IF WOS WON .

SintonFan_inAustin
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
This could be the only game Newton will be given a challenge and the challenge may be too much

WOS by 8 points 23-15

WOS92
09-18-2005, 09:02 PM
It will undoubtedly be a huge challenge. To come into the season with one of the toughest schedules in the state and to have a chance to come out of it 5-0 seems almost too good to be true.
Good luck, Stangs!! I'll be there!!!

SintonFan_inAustin
09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
It will undoubtedly be a huge challenge. To come into the season with one of the toughest schedules in the state and to have a chance to come out of it 5-0 seems almost too good to be true.
Good luck, Stangs!! I'll be there!!!

yep but hope they dont forget theres 5 more still and they dont lose that intensity they had for those 5 games(after Fridays of course).

duckbutter
09-19-2005, 09:29 AM
The challenge will be containing Beasly. If it can be done i'll say Newton by 7, if it can't be done then Newton could have a long night.

Hindsight2020
09-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by duckbutter
The challenge will be containing Beasly. If it can be done i'll say Newton by 7, if it can't be done then Newton could have a long night.

if the newton coaches are only worried about beasley, it will be a long night for the eagles. but we all know that will not be the case. the newton coaches know WO-S has more than beasley.

Bullaholic
09-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Admittedly, this analysis will sound rather silly, but I do not know anything specifically about Newton or WO-S, except their records so far this season:

Generally speaking---A good 3A team should beat a good 2A team. A great 2A team can beat a good 3A team. A good or great 2A team should not beat a great 3A team---so, the question is---is either Newton or WO-S a great team this year?---I mean as in state semi-finals potential or better? If either is the latter---they should be the winning team. I know there have been a lot of exceptions to this in the past.

Again, apologies to anyone who thinks that I should not make such a generalized, assumptive post----just throwing out a random thought for review. If I get "flamed"--so be it---I have no dog in this "hunt", but I do have respect for both of these schools winning traditions, and this should be a great spectator's game.

Hindsight2020
09-19-2005, 10:19 AM
with a team like newton, you can throw classifications out the window. they can beat many 4a teams.

3rdone
09-19-2005, 10:23 AM
WOS played Jasper in the 1st game of the season at their house and won. A lot of people on this board have predicted WOS to fall all year, Nederalnd, Jasper, Central etc... Now Newton. Newton is good, has always been good, and will probably continue to be. WOS has never lost to Newton, even when Newton was the BEST in 3A and won state...Their only loss was to WOS. I just hate to see one of the premiere teams in 3A get dogged out on 3Adownlow!!! This is your #2 ranked 3A school and you are predicting a loss. Have some pride in this. WOS represents just more than themselves but pride in 3A football. I take nothing away from Newton, but Vidor could've beaten Jasper if Jasper had 6 TURNOVERS!!!! You were supposed to win. Predicting the #2 team in 3A to lose the top team in 2A is not showing ANY respect to 1 of your own geezzzz!!!!! Good luck Newton....Go WOS!!!!

ro_tex_solja
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
i have nothing against west orange stark as a matter of fact alot of us that play for cuero last year wanted to play them, but that would be insane if newton did win....so im pulling for them

Jody
09-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I know everyone is expecting me to pick WOS, but I just can't in this one. If Newton protects against the deep passing, Newton's running back will run all night. Newton by 13.

j_dog
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Jody
I know everyone is expecting me to pick WOS, ......
ROFLM*O :D You wouldn't even pick WOS to beat the Houston Texans! :p or even Moss Bluff! ;)