PDA

View Full Version : 8 Littlefield starters injured

Da Mules
09-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Littlefield is having some very bad luck with 8 starters injured in the last couple of games, including the starting QB, both starting running backs, and several others. They actually had the lead on Canyon during the 2nd quater and trailed 15-14 at the half. Then their big running back went down....I don't think a pro team could go with 8 injured starters.

Another Wildcat injured in 36-14 loss
BY JEFF WALKER
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

LITTLEFIELD - The last thing Littlefield needed was another injury.

With seven starters already on the sideline in street clothes, the Wildcats lost running back Stephen Viljoen midway through the third quarter with an injury to his back.

Viljoen never returned to the game and Canyon turned a one-point game into a rout as the Eagles cruised to a 36-14 victory on Friday night.

"I think when Stephen went out, that killed us as much mentally as anything," Littlefield head coach Bryan Huseman said. "He injured his back, but I have no clue how serious it is. With our luck, it's probably as bad as it could be."

Viljoen left the game with 137 rushing yards on 16 carries and the Wildcats trailing 15-14. He scored on Littlefield's first offensive play and last offensive play of the opening half. The first time he touched the ball, the junior tailback ran virtually untouched on a 92-yard sweep for a touchdown.

The last time he touched the ball, Viljoen carried for a 1-yard gain, but he didn't move once he hit the ground. As trainers came to the field, Viljoen pointed to his back. He walked off the field under his own power, but he remained on the sideline for the rest of the second half with an ice pack taped to his back.

The first half was filled with big plays and turnovers as the Eagles held a 15-14 halftime lead.

Prior to Viljoen's TD run, Canyon scored on its opening possession on a 31-yard pass from Anthony Ramos to Greg Franklin. The Eagles (3-1) faked the extra point and converted on a pass play to take an 8-0 lead.

After Viljoen scored Littlefield's second touchdown, Canyon took advantage of his fumble with 1:22 remaining before halftime.

The Eagles took the lead for good with 13 seconds left in the opening half on a 2-yard run by Jake Romero. The key plays of the final first-half drive were a 41-yard reception by Jared Peddy and as a pass interference call on Littlefield (3-1).

"I'm proud of the way our guys played, they played so hard," Huseman said. "If we don't fumble the ball, we're ahead 14-8 coming in (to the locker rooms)."

After Viljoen went down in the second half, Canyon scored three touchdowns - two on the ground - to ice the victory.

Huseman said he didn't know the status of Littlefield's other injured starters - Matt Hall, J.B. Allcorn, Blake Demel, Jonas Camacho, Mikey Cristan, Russell Stopel and Preysol Hodge.

"All of them are day-to-day," Huseman said. "Our guys played hard, but I know this: I'm not a smart man, but we've got to become tougher, meaner and more aggressive."

Both teams were a little too aggressive as the game was concluding. Littlefield's Garrett Milligan and Canyon's Cade Hales lost their tempers and after a brief scuffle - and offsetting personal foul penalties - both players were ejected from the game.

To comment on this story:

jeff.walker@lubbockonline.com 766-8736

patrick.gonzales@lubbockonline.com 766-8735

CANYON 36, LITTLEFIELD 14

Canyon 8 7 7 14 - 36

Littlefield 6 8 0 0 - 14

First Quarter

CAN-Franklin 31 pass from Ramos (Franklin pass from McCarty), 9:04

LIT-Viljoen 92 run (run failed), 8:46

Second Quarter

LIT-Viljoen 2 run (Viljoen run), 2:27

CAN-Romero 2 run (Hopper kick), 0:13

Third Quarter

CAN-Bressler 14 pass from Ramos (Hopper kick), 5:05

Fourth Quarter

CAN-Romero 2 run (Hopper kick), 11:04

CAN-Ramos 4 run (Hopper kick), 7:03

TEAM STATISTICS

CAN LIT

First downs 21 18

Rushes-yards 29-161 42-209

Passing yards 261 99

Comp.-Att.-Int. 15-24-1 6-24-2

Fumbles-lost 4-2 4-1

Punts-avg. 2-38 3-35.3

Penalties-yards 6-47 6-48

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING: Canyon, Romero 11-76, Ramos 12-61, Bressler 3-24, Shepard 1-8, Peddy 2-(-8); Littlefield, Viljoen 16-137, Lopez 7-47, Duran 11-24, Garcia 5-5, Hobratschk 3-(-4).

PASSING: Canyon, Ramos 15-24-1 261 yards; Littlefield, Hobratschk 7-24-2 99 yards.

RECEIVING: Canyon, Peddy 5-101, Franklin 5-81, Bressler 4-71, Romero 1-8; Littlefield, Rosemond 5-84, Huseman 2-15.

KingRob
09-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Enuff already, I think it's time for Littlefield to expand their field to regulation size! :D

Astrosdawg07
09-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Enuff already, I think it's time for Littlefield to expand their field to regulation size! :D

Good one, and if that don't work make the field out of matrresses.(sp?)

NateDawg39
09-17-2005, 08:38 PM
They are still a tough team. Lots of anger because of the injuries but i think they will have a good record none the less.

Da Mules
09-19-2005, 08:43 PM
So who else is hurtin? How about Carillo at Sweetwater; how's his progress. Injuries can flat blow out 3A schools.... look at Canyon back in 2003.

smustangs
09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
i thought sweetwater had bad luck with injuries man