PDA

View Full Version : Here's Any Interesting Topic........A Band Question

ILS1
09-17-2005, 04:04 PM
A couple of weeks I went to a game and at half something strange happened. The visiting teams band play TOWARDS the visiting crowd/fans!!! It wasn't for a song or two,I mean their whole entire performance!!! Aren't you suppose to play towards the home crowd everytime??? Or is this something new??

piratebg
09-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Traditionally you are supposed to play to the home side, but not all bands do.

LH Panther Mom
09-17-2005, 04:07 PM
That's what I always thought. :thinking: :thinking:

marlin fan
09-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Okay... let a band nerd explain it to you... at competition the bands March to the home side cus thats where the judges are gonna be plus no one sits on the visiting side but the bands that have already marched... there is no rule a bout Marching to the home team at a football game but most bands do it... lol guess its gives the visiting crowd time to rest lol if they have to look at it the same way everyweek it gets boring... so yeah u dont have to march to the home side but almost everyone does it.. i hope i didnt make you more confused than u already are lol

sahen
09-17-2005, 06:09 PM
i was in band in highschool....its proper "etiquette" or however u spell it to march facing the home side...believe it or not but band directors get pissed at each other if someone comes to their place and marches facing the visitors side....its kinda like shuning the other team in a way to the band directors i guess...

piratebg
09-17-2005, 06:11 PM
The only time we did not play for the home side on away games were in the playoffs and the night before competition.

sahen
09-17-2005, 06:13 PM
the only time we didnt do it was when we played our cross town rivals.....but the lee/sterling game in baytown normally has a packed house so either side is like home....plus we didnt like those lee peopel very much being they were our rivals....

MARLINDOGS
09-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
Okay... let a band nerd explain it to you... at competition the bands March to the home side cus thats where the judges are gonna be plus no one sits on the visiting side but the bands that have already marched... there is no rule a bout Marching to the home team at a football game but most bands do it... lol guess its gives the visiting crowd time to rest lol if they have to look at it the same way everyweek it gets boring... so yeah u dont have to march to the home side but almost everyone does it.. i hope i didnt make you more confused than u already are lol Now im really confused.:thinking: Just kidding.:D

KingRob
09-17-2005, 07:16 PM
I wasn't in the band (but I did buy lots of chocolate bars!), but I always remember when we played the fight song for Houston St. Thomas. All boy school, with no band, no pep squad, and no cheerleaders. They ended up kicking our behinds 35-0. Ingrates!:( :cool:

ML05
09-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Monahans always plays to the Monahans side, I know that. I'm not sure if I've seen any other bands that play to their own side at away games. Who supports your school fundraisers? Who pays your school taxes? I say go ahead and play toward the crowd that feeds you. Just my opinion. :)

MontyPython
09-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I think both bands should go to the endzone face, face away from everything, and then play.

marlin fan
09-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MontyPython
I think both bands should go to the endzone face, face away from everything, and then play. i think u should get smacked upside the head!!!:thinking: :cool:

MontyPython
09-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by marlin fan
i think u should get smacked upside the head!!!:thinking: :cool: I would take a smack upside my head - as long as I never had to listen to another half time again. :D

exbccards76'smom
09-18-2005, 05:35 AM
I think it is just a courtsey to play to the home side. I enjoy seeing other bands march. BTW, I am a band nerd also(from 6th grade to 5 years of college). You want to hear some of my horror stories? How about having to dodge whiskey bottles being thrown at you?

NSUTrumpet08
09-18-2005, 11:47 AM
In high school we always played to the home crowd regardless of where we were. There were a few occassions when we played towards our crowd on away games...especially around playoff time. I didn't like playing towards our crowd when we weren't the 'home' team on playoff games. Jasper is very indifferent to the band when they play with exception to the band parents and those few who love to watch the bands play. People go to the concession stands or bathroom or go to talk to people which i don't blame them. That's just my opinion though. I tend to like away games better because we got more crowd response in the middle of and after our performance.

sahen
09-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by exbccards76'smom
I think it is just a courtsey to play to the home side. I enjoy seeing other bands march. BTW, I am a band nerd also(from 6th grade to 5 years of college). You want to hear some of my horror stories? How about having to dodge whiskey bottles being thrown at you?
wow yall mustve sucked really bad.....either that or u made fun of someone really well....

exbccards76'smom
09-18-2005, 10:24 PM
The whiskey bottle thing happened at college. They allowed folks to bring in ice chest at that time. So, by the time we got on the field to play, everybody was pretty lit up. When a ref got hit in the head with a bottle, the school finally banned ice chest in the stadium. The school is to the east of where I live now.

CHS_CG
09-18-2005, 10:28 PM
There was a couple of times in HS we did not play to the home side, like when we were in the first round of playoff at the Waco stadium and the week before my best friend had been killed in a car accident and we decated our preformance to her so we played to our side. I know there was another time I just cant think of it:thinking: :confused: