PDA

View Full Version : football player plans to amputate finger

AggieJohn
09-15-2005, 10:55 PM
SYDNEY, Australia - An Australian professional football player said Tuesday he plans to have one of his fingers amputated in an attempt to improve his game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brett Backwell, who plays Australian rules football for Glenelg, a suburb of the city of Adelaide in South Australia state, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. he has suffered from pain and restricted movement since he broke his left ring finger three years ago.

Doctors had suggested fusing the bones in the finger, but Backwell rejected the proposal.

He said he believed that amputating the finger was the only way to stop the pain and allow him to keep playing.

"To chop a finger off, that's a bit drastic," Backwell told the ABC. "But I love my footy (football), and love playing sport, and if that's going to help me to succeed at this level then it's something you've just got to do."

sahen
09-15-2005, 10:58 PM
now that is devotion.....

Ranger05
09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
SYDNEY, Australia - An Australian professional football player said Tuesday he plans to have one of his fingers amputated in an attempt to improve his game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brett Backwell, who plays Australian rules football for Glenelg, a suburb of the city of Adelaide in South Australia state, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. he has suffered from pain and restricted movement since he broke his left ring finger three years ago.

Doctors had suggested fusing the bones in the finger, but Backwell rejected the proposal.

He said he believed that amputating the finger was the only way to stop the pain and allow him to keep playing.

"To chop a finger off, that's a bit drastic," Backwell told the ABC. "But I love my footy (football), and love playing sport, and if that's going to help me to succeed at this level then it's something you've just got to do." wow thats crazy i wouldn't cut off my finger

District303aPastPlayer
09-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
wow thats crazy i wouldn't cut off my finger

i might... depends on the situation

SnyTigBaseB07
09-15-2005, 11:50 PM
holy crap, i love sports, but dang to cut off my own finger..he must be making a crap load of money!

injuredinmelee
09-15-2005, 11:57 PM
that my friends is a MAN.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

lol i thought u were defined as a man if you had juevos???? guess i was wrong! :D

injuredinmelee
09-16-2005, 12:05 AM
oh there has to be juevos involved here. Not much in the brains dept however.

LH Panther Mom
09-16-2005, 05:33 AM

oh there has to be juevos involved here. Not much in the brains dept however.

You said it! :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. ;)

BullFrog Dad
09-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
"But I love my footy... Just not his finger.

handNthedirt
09-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Look at the bright side, when his rugby career is over....he will be qualified to teach a shop class or two.

Bull's-eye
09-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Former SF Ronnie Lott also did the same. He had the option of being out for the season or chopping the finger and keep playing. He chopped the finger.:weeping:

Bullaholic
09-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Makes you wonder how this guy would deal with it if he contracted a STD.......Nah, surely not!

(Don't mean to poke fun at people in pain, BTW)

injuredinmelee
09-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Former SF Ronnie Lott also did the same. He had the option of being out for the season or chopping the finger and keep playing. He chopped the finger.:weeping:

When I was a kid i thgought Ronnie Lott was a god. He was so tough. I wished i wasnt so fat and slow so I could of played safety too.

Phil C
09-16-2005, 12:01 PM
The great western character actor George "Gabby" Hays was also very committed to his profession. Ironically he was from New York and did not have a cowboy background at all. He did not even know how to ride a horse till in his forties when he started starring in movies. In real life he was an intelligent, well groomed and articulate man but in the movies he was cast as a grizzled codger. He was sidekicks to many stars such as Hopelong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Randolph Scott and John Wayne just to name a few. According to TCM's Robert Osborne he was so dedicated that to get into his character he had all his real teeth pulled. Now that is dedication.

CHS_Grad '85
09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, I guess it's no differant than football players here cutting off a toe because of turf toe...