PDA

View Full Version : Port Arthur News article for those BC fans now out of the area.

Old Cardinal
09-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Havens having fun in BC offensive line
By Tom Halliburton - The News Sports Writer Posted: 09/14/05 - 11:36:12 pm CDT

BRIDGE CITY - Andrew Havens has fun doing stuff that is really a grind for most people. He looks a bit different for an offensive lineman, too.

At 6-4, 220 pounds, the Bridge City senior has fun competing at offensive line... or at a math contest.... or in a high-pressure basketball game. If you think all offensive linemen are short, squatty, thick and dense, think again.

Havens would qualify as being none of the above. He's not short... not squatty... not thick... not dense. And if he has his way on Friday night, Bridge City is not going to lose this week either.

Why? Because this two-year starting offensive lineman enjoys the grunt work of straightening up and blocking pass rushers or plowing ahead and providing running room. It's fun for Havens and BC's blockers.

It might be argued that they had more fun last Friday night in Kirbyville than any previous occasion in this young season. Yet the fun may only be beginning. And Havens hopes it resumes this Friday night at 7:30 against long-time neighborly rival Little Cypress-Mauriceville.

Havens had to confess on Wednesday that he and his Redbirds teammates never expected to have quite as much fun at Kirbyville. They figured the Wildcats would make their journey anything but fun. Final score: Bridge City 40, Kirbyville 12 and most of the enjoyment was experienced by the visitors with the white hats.

"We surprised ourselves to be able to put up 40 against them," Havens said. "We were planning on Kirbyville being able to be a pretty tough opponent."

Yet as the Redbirds kept enjoying the visit, they were having quite a blast.

"We had a good time working together as a team," he said. "We weren't making any critical mistakes that we couldn't come back and correct."

Either you have fun or else. And Havens intends to have fun this winter when he returns to the lineup on BC's varsity basketball team. When basketball ends, he likely figures to compete in a state academic meet, trying to calculate the most difficult of math problems.

You see, this offensive tackle carries a 4.7-point grade average on a 5.0 scale. He's a Top 10 student academically (7th) and he's planning to enter the Engineering field. There's hardly any better Engineering anywhere than another Big Red Cardinal Country known as Lamar University in Beaumont.

That's where Havens plans to enroll next year.

"I like the atmosphere around here," he said. "I'll probably come back and watch these guys play next year because some of my friends still will be on the team."

The offensive line certainly began two-a-day practices as a major area of uncertainty. Havens has done plenty to remove that uncertainty and turn the area into a strength. Led by Doug and Lisa's 17-year-old son, the offensive line guided a unit which cranked out 408 yards and 20 first downs.

Havens doesn't need great math skills to know that a team with 408 yards and 20 first downs is likely going to be a winning team.

Jody
09-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Old Cardinal....Question:

Will BC beat WOS this year?

Old Cardinal
09-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Jody, I have no idea who will win at this point. Harris(more accurate it seems) rates WO-S at #1-- that is quite a compliment! It will be a good game I would suspect.

Right now, I am interested in prospects against LC-M and Jasper coming up.
I look for a fairly tight ball game. I know many are figuring a blowout; but LC-M has a 2-1 record and made a lot of first game mistakes with a new Coach and new scheme on offense and defense against Kashmere early on.
I am glad that we are playing them early on they have a lot of possibilities to improve.
On the Jasper game, common sense says Jasper should win. I have to go with Jasper as much as my heart says, I don't want too. BC has just not had time to train this whole bunch of assorted athletes into a football machine. I will say this, if BC can somehow get by your fine Barbers Hill team(and that's a big IF") I think they will definately beat Jasper in the playoff brackets. My reasoning is that Tarver will have had time to get this now 23 Senior member team with enough real supportative trained depth to put up a really good ballgame.
On the other hand, I believe that BH will beat Jasper, if we lose to you folks in the Bi-District.
Everyone is entitled to opinions, how do you see it?

Jody, I hope you took time to read the attached newspaper article...This boy will not play college most probably. The rigors of being a Chemical Engineering major with it's long and frequent labs etc: will warrant a lot of study. I would predict that a lot of folks will have this guy as their CEO someday. I have watched several guys play "dirty" in front of him on the line. He never retailates except well within the context of good sportsmanship effort.

Tell us about the youth that you admire on the BH team this year?

Hupernikomen
09-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a good kid you guys have over there in BC.

Good luck against LC-M. I would think that BC would have a better chance of beating Jasper in the first game than if they played in the playoffs. It seems that Jasper has really been improving as the year goes forward last couple of years and just know how to win in the playoffs. Long way to go before we get to that point but we can hope.

j_dog
09-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
......Good luck against LC-M. I would think that BC would have a better chance of beating Jasper in the first game than if they played in the playoffs. ......
I agree with you Hup. BC's best chance of beating Jasper will be next week before Jasper really gets their offense tuned up. I see this year being no different than the past two. Jasper experiments in pre-district (isn't that what it is for?), does enough in district to make the playoffs, and hits their stride in the playoffs. Sure, they will be beatable in the playoffs as always. In fact, they have lost three playoff games in the last three years, which is three more than many teams have even had the opportunity to lose. ;) But they lost them way down the playoff trail in each year. I expect them to do at least as well this year. :)