PDA

View Full Version : Parents & their kid's cell phone bills

Bull's-eye
09-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Are you afraid to open the cell phone bill? Have you seen the commercials of parents opening the cell phone bill? You probably could of made one of those commercials. My daughter claims she doesn't have time to check her minutes (just push *min# for cingular). Now I know why, she is on the phone!!!:doh:

What's the most minutes that your child has gone over?

Astrosdawg07
09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
My girlfriend was over by 200 last month. And yes I checked the numbers she was calling. :nerd:

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Are you afraid to open the cell phone bill? Have you seen the commercials of parents opening the cell phone bill? You probably could of made one of those commercials. My daughter claims she doesn't have time to check her minutes (just push *min# for cingular). Now I know why, she is on the phone!!!:doh:

What's the most minutes that your child has gone over?

I don't know. I'm scared to to open the bill! :eek: :eek:

CHS_CG
09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
I dont even know, lately i havent been usin my cell phone that much but i went over on text messages but that would be bc its football season lol.

Bull's-eye
09-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't know. I'm scared to to open the bill! :eek: :eek:

Don't open it until Sunday nite, you wouldn't want to spoil your weekend.:D

MHSvarsity2007
09-14-2005, 09:49 PM
on my cell bill, it's not the minutes that get me in trouble...it's the text messaging...i went over by 521 this month :( serious trouble there...

Pmoney
09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
on my cell bill, it's not the minutes that get me in trouble...it's the text messaging...i went over by 521 this month :( serious trouble there...
holy crap that is a serious bill on txt messages:eek:

sahen
09-14-2005, 09:51 PM
wow...521 that is quite impressive....my parents just told me basically if i go over im paying, and if i dont i dont have a cell phone......but im not really phone person, i text a lot but not even close to going over every month....

Astrosdawg07
09-14-2005, 09:52 PM

:eek: How many did you send in total?

lepfan
09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
We have the family plan with 2 phones...soon to be three. Cingular to Cingular is free (son's gf has Cing also!) I bought the package that gave us 850 min to share...I knew I didn't need them, but it did give us free long distance, free mobile to mobile, roll over minutes, etc. ... long story short is my son talks a total of around 1500 min a month (long distance relationship) I barely use mine...we now have about 8000 roll over minutes in our bank. I know exactly how much my bill is each month...$91 with a few cents.

MHSvarsity2007
09-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
:eek: How many did you send in total?

like 621...but you gotta remember it was from like the beginning of august to like last week...it was still summer :(

bulldogbark
09-14-2005, 09:57 PM
2206 min in one month over her 600 min limit, almost $200.00 (so says my wife, but I think its more) more than the 39.95 I would pay normaly. now that does also include text msg, and stuff. however this month I have upgraded her to a long string and 2 dixie cups......(GROUNDED):( and thinking of a proper punishment (they dont allow the iron maiden anymore):thinking:

lepfan
09-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
2206 min in one month over her 600 min limit, almost $200.00 (so says my wife, but I think its more) more than the 39.95 I would pay normaly. now that does also include text msg, and stuff. however this month I have upgraded her to a long string and 2 dixie cups......(GROUNDED):( and thinking of a proper punishment (they dont allow the iron maiden anymore):thinking:

Drive down the main drag with her on Saturday night while yelling out of a megaphone "My daughter is grounded because she went way over her allowed minutes on her cell phone...causing unnecessary stress and a financial burden on her parents."

bulldogbark
09-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I must be getting old but do Young-uns seem not to realize the value or un-value of the dollar.....:thinking: I see so many kids driving around Jasper in new mustangs,,,, everything new....heck my junior year I was proud cause I had a used Gremlin :)

lepfan
09-14-2005, 10:12 PM
In 1980 I had a 1972 Ford LTD, 4 door at that. And was happy to have it. To many kids expect to much. I remember when my son was in HS ... that parking lot was full of vehicles worth anywhere from $25-35K. Sad thing is so many of the parents are one paycheck away from being without anything. I was shocked to find out that several had credit card bills well over $20K....:eek:

Bull's-eye
09-14-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only parent afraid of the cell phone bill. My daughter claims that she is so much more popular than her old Dad, that it is almost impossible to keep the minutes down. Thank God for the rollover minutes and unlimited nights & weekends.

theyoefnshow
09-14-2005, 10:21 PM
so good to have unlimited usage and free long distance and I don't even have to pay a dime for it lol...perks of the job I guess :)

44INAROW
09-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
We have the family plan with 2 phones...soon to be three. Cingular to Cingular is free (son's gf has Cing also!) I bought the package that gave us 850 min to share...I knew I didn't need them, but it did give us free long distance, free mobile to mobile, roll over minutes, etc. ... long story short is my son talks a total of around 1500 min a month (long distance relationship) I barely use mine...we now have about 8000 roll over minutes in our bank. I know exactly how much my bill is each month...$91 with a few cents.

kinda the same scenario here.. except we have 3 phones and I added the 'insurance" on son's phone. 1100 mins and I pay $121 a month -

44INAROW
09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
In 1980 I had a 1972 Ford LTD, 4 door at that. And was happy to have it. To many kids expect to much. I remember when my son was in HS ... that parking lot was full of vehicles worth anywhere from $25-35K. Sad thing is so many of the parents are one paycheck away from being without anything. I was shocked to find out that several had credit card bills well over $20K....:eek:

I learned to drive on my daddys 1965 GMC Pickup - 3 on the column.. No AC, No Radio, No Power steering and you had to come to a complete stop to shift from 3rd to 1st. I was tickled to death to have it to drive. Didnt' stop us from having tons of fun. (I sure hope that truck never learns to talk) :D :D :D

Ranger Mom
09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
I have 5 phones on my plan....$150.00 a month with 2500 minutes. We never go over the minutes....texting is another story (or 2..if you were in the chat during RM story hour;) )

CHS_CG
09-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have 5 phones on my plan....$150.00 a month with 2500 minutes. We never go over the minutes....texting is another story (or 2..if you were in the chat during RM story hour;) )

ROFLMAO!!! :thinking:

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only parent afraid of the cell phone bill. My daughter claims that she is so much more popular than her old Dad, that it is almost impossible to keep the minutes down. Thank God for the rollover minutes and unlimited nights & weekends.

You had minutes that rolled over? :eek: The son's last phone bill, there were 3-one minute calls and 1-four minute call.....all at 7:47 p.m. :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
09-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Cell phone companies should just make text messages free now since they are gaining a lot of publicity and popularity, without charging a fee for them to be free.

MARLINDOGS
09-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Cell phone.Im having a hard time just paying for car insurance.:thinking:

big daddy russ
09-15-2005, 09:33 AM
I used to have a T-Mobile plan with 600 minutes a month. Only went over once during a month when some loved ones were having health problems. Since then, my chick and me got a shared plan through Sprint. Free Sprint to Sprint, 1000 minutes a month, internet (she has a PC Phone) and vision for less than $75 a month... and we've never gone over 550 combined minutes.

But then again, talking on the phone is a waste of time IMO.

j_dog
09-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
I must be getting old but do Young-uns seem not to realize the value or un-value of the dollar.....:thinking: I see so many kids driving around Jasper in new mustangs,,,, everything new....heck my junior year I was proud cause I had a used Gremlin :)
heck, i was proud that i had a new bicycle! :p

Phil C
09-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't know but I do know my wife had the cell phone bills turned off because the boys charged some games on them. Now I can't keep up with others about the games. :mad:

District303aPastPlayer
09-15-2005, 02:32 PM
its not the games you gotta worry about, its the messaging systems for phones....
Y! AIM and MSN

44INAROW
09-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MARLINDOGS
Cell phone.Im having a hard time just paying for car insurance.:thinking:

You need a good agent? :D

cdlvj
09-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I learned to drive on my daddys 1965 GMC Pickup - 3 on the column.. No AC, No Radio, No Power steering and you had to come to a complete stop to shift from 3rd to 1st. I was tickled to death to have it to drive. Didnt' stop us from having tons of fun. (I sure hope that truck never learns to talk) :D :D :D

here a 1949 Chevrolet 2-dr hardtop, although did have a radio. Most of the time had to ride the bus, and on a few occasions drove the car. Parents had a 1959 Chevrolet, and in 67 got a Plymouth Fury, and I got the 59 Chevy. I believe the Plymouth may have cost something like $3000. This is brand new. Gas was like 17 cents a gallon. The good old days.

Brahmasportsfan
09-15-2005, 03:17 PM
We have 4 cingular phones on our plan, usually 150.00 a month. Last bill was $385. They were charging us for other cingular calls.
After many minutes on hold, they refigured the bill and we payed $13.00. They had overcharged other months also. You have to check em.

District303aPastPlayer
09-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Brahmasportsfan
We have 4 cingular phones on our plan, usually 150.00 a month. Last bill was $385. They were charging us for other cingular calls.
After many minutes on hold, they refigured the bill and we payed $13.00. They had overcharged other months also. You have to check em.

gosh thats dirt cheap

cdlvj
09-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Brahmasportsfan

Yes you do have to watch em. A lot of times they mischarge, consumer complains, they adjust the bill, and just move it to someone else's bill.

There are millions+ of customers that never check their bills, and just pay it, AND that is why they get away with it.

lepfan
09-15-2005, 08:50 PM
I complained and complained and complained some more...they grew tired of me after a while. It was about the time when one of the supervisors asked me if I wanted to talk to the "big supervisor" I calmly told him 'Yes, I would as long as his head was not as far up his @$$ as everyone else's was. I ended up with $100 credit on my bill and 2 $50 certificates for cash off my next phones! I have not had a problem since. :)