PDA

View Full Version : What about UIL?

Phil C
09-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Interesting Link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2161037&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

piratebg
09-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Athletic looting......well, I can't say I'm not that surprised.

neck_06
09-14-2005, 08:30 AM
so do they lose that year of eligibility if they stay at their current school?

RiverRat19
09-14-2005, 08:32 AM
I think the issue here is that the college athletes have the undeniable opportunity to choose where they want to go to school and the High School student-athletes are more restricted.

The NCAA seems to be trying to prevent unethical recruiting practices, which some will disregard anyway, to the furthest extent. The UIL is trying to give the displaced students coming to TX an opportunity to return to normalcy by placing a smaller waiting period on them until they can begin competition.

It's hard to compare the two but if the UIL places a one year restriction on the displaced students until they could compete again, then that's just one more dissapointment they would experience after all the other traumatic experineces they have had to endure.

Phil C
09-14-2005, 08:39 AM
But there is also another side of the issue that needs to be considered and not bury our heads in the sand about it. I am not saying they need to sit out a year. Will one school get an unfair advantage by getting more of the talented athletes. If they were evenly placed that would be one thing. Like the five players WOS got and this is just one example. Were they all-state players. They are tough to beat anyway but will this make them impossible to beat. And this not only applies to football but all sports. A lot of kids throughout the WHOLE state of Texas work all their lives to get a state championship and then a school gets some all state athletes from LA or Miss and that turns the table and ruins years of hard work. The issue can't be dodged in the future. Sure the victims need a home and aid and that is the important thing but there are still issues that can't be ignored now.

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
I think the issue here is that the college athletes have the undeniable opportunity to choose where they want to go to school and the High School student-athletes are more restricted.

The NCAA seems to be trying to prevent unethical recruiting practices, which some will disregard anyway, to the furthest extent. The UIL is trying to give the displaced students coming to TX an opportunity to return to normalcy by placing a smaller waiting period on them until they can begin competition.

It's hard to compare the two but if the UIL places a one year restriction on the displaced students until they could compete again, then that's just one more dissapointment they would experience after all the other traumatic experineces they have had to endure.

I agree! UIL has allowed the students to compete where they choose to live under the same guidelines that any other student who has "moved" - 15 days for varsity play and immediate for sub-varsity. If they were to change to 1 year for the evacuees, imo, it should be changed for all transferring student athletes.

RiverRat19
09-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
But there is also another side of the issue that needs to be considered and not bury our heads in the sand about it. I am not saying they need to sit out a year. Will one school get an unfair advantage by getting more of the talented athletes. If they were evenly placed that would be one thing. Like the five players WOS got and this is just one example. Were they all-state players. They are tough to beat anyway but will this make them impossible to beat. And this not only applies to football but all sports. A lot of kids throughout the WHOLE state of Texas work all their lives to get a state championship and then a school gets some all state athletes from LA or Miss and that turns the table and ruins years of hard work. The issue can't be dodged in the future. Sure the victims need a home and aid and that is the important thing but there are still issues that can't be ignored now.

I see your point. However, if there is no evidence that these families and students were coerced or otherwise pursuaded by anone affiliated with the school district, that each family's choice as to where they choose to live and the students will attend the appropriate school for their area. Good luck for where they move to if the new students are great athletes and bad luck for the rest of the conference. If these students are recuited, that's wrong but otherwise- Oh, well....

Also, WOS is not the only place displaced students are attending. These other areas are gaining students from LA as well. I also think that just because these athletes does not guarantee anything...

LH Panther Mom
09-14-2005, 08:52 AM

Not every athlete moving to Texas from LA is going to be a "stud". Sure WO-S has 5 football players. Are all 5 D1 recruits? As of last Friday, I know LH had 4 kids enroll in high school. I only know info on one - his mother's sister lives here and they are staying with the family. He's a 15-year old sophomore and is JV quality. Would it be fair to him to tell him he would not be able to play on JV for an entire year? There can't be one rule for the "stud" players and one for the lesser athletes, much less a separate rule for in-state players who move.

BlueBlood
09-14-2005, 08:59 AM
I was told that Barbers Hill picked up about five Louisiana kids. None of them were varsity material. Three freshmen and I think two JV type kids.

89JDAWG
09-14-2005, 09:40 AM
newton has 400 evacuees. I know some will play on varsity but for a 2a school that is borderline 3a will the evacuees be counted in realinement this year? That is the question we have, with all the added students newton will be back to 3a next year. so whats fair, you get to use the kids this year and maybe next year
and who knows alot of people say that they will stay and are finding jobs. but if they dont and the evacuees are counted in enrollment then you have a 2a school playing in 3a. any thoughts?

eagle.eyes
09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
No way Newton has 400. That's more than the current enrollment if I remember right. Are they camping in the Chevron parking lot or what?

wos fan1
09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
But there is also another side of the issue that needs to be considered and not bury our heads in the sand about it. I am not saying they need to sit out a year. Will one school get an unfair advantage by getting more of the talented athletes. If they were evenly placed that would be one thing. Like the five players WOS got and this is just one example. Were they all-state players. They are tough to beat anyway but will this make them impossible to beat. And this not only applies to football but all sports. A lot of kids throughout the WHOLE state of Texas work all their lives to get a state championship and then a school gets some all state athletes from LA or Miss and that turns the table and ruins years of hard work. The issue can't be dodged in the future. Sure the victims need a home and aid and that is the important thing but there are still issues that can't be ignored now. We haven't recieved but 4 and they are Freshman and JV. We may have 1 coming to Varsity in 2 weeks maybe.

WestTexasTiger
09-14-2005, 10:58 AM
This is from somebody who works in the school system and with knowledge of enrollment procedures:
The refugees will be allowed to enroll in any school they want or so choose, as long as they have transportation to that school. For example if there were refugees in south Dallas and they wanted to attend a north Dallas school, they could if they had transportation to that school. The school is not allowed to turn away children considered homeless, which is how the State of Texas education dept. is labeling these kids.