PDA

View Full Version : OU's Peterson Suspended From Practice After Skipping Classes

ILS1
09-13-2005, 09:26 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops says he'll decide later this week whether suspended tailback Adrian Peterson will start Saturday against UCLA.

"We'll determine that as the week goes," Stoops said Tuesday. "We'll see. At this point, we anticipate him playing. Start or not depends on how we feel practice is going, what we feel we need to do. Depending on what further happens from here, we'll see."

Peterson, who rushed for 220 yards and three touchdowns in Oklahoma's 31-15 win against Tulsa on Saturday, was suspended from practice on Monday and Tuesday after missing classes but was allowed to participate in team meetings and other activities. He is not being allowed to speak to reporters.

Peterson's suspension was a result of a new Oklahoma athletic department policy on class attendance implemented this year. Under the policy, obtained by The Associated Press, athletes who accumulate four unexcused absences are suspended from practice for two days. For each subsequent absence, athletes are suspended for the next scheduled competition.

Athletes can also lose other privileges, including complimentary game admissions and athletic awards, and be excluded from competing in postseason play. Coaches can institute other attendance guidelines, as long as athletes are notified in writing at the beginning of the academic year.

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said the new approach was one of the university's strategies to improve academic performance and retention and make sure athletes are progressing toward their degrees.

"This is just one element of a number of things that we are doing," Castiglione said.

Stoops said he supported the policy and even helped suggest it to Gerald Gurney, the school's associate athletic director for academic programs.

"In the end, they're here to go to school, and it should be our job as administrators or as coaches that if they're not, we can't put you on the field," Stoops said.

Oklahoma announced the suspension in a statement sent to a limited number of news organizations following the Sooners' closed practice Monday night. Stoops said he didn't have to announce it at all.

"I probably shouldn't have said [Monday], but everyone finds out anyway,'' Stoops said. " ... In fairness to him, it probably doesn't need to be me coming out and saying that. In the end, that's the situation, and it's better than all the rumors being around about it."

Peterson's suspension came nine days after the team's starting quarterback, Rhett Bomar, was cited for possession of alcohol by a minor. Bomar is 20.

"We're doing things discipline-wise, and everything else like we always have," Stoops said. "That doesn't mean it's right or good, and it's fair to criticize me because some teams accept it better than others and listen or are disciplined better than others. You can put it on both of us."

Stoops said most teams have different disciplinary issues to deal with each year, and the actions by two key starters didn't mean the school was softer in its dealings with violations.

"It'd be fair to say we're tougher now because maybe in the past, have we taken a guy off the field for missing class?" Stoops said. "Maybe we're more disciplined now. Maybe we're tougher now."

Senior tailback Kejuan Jones, who was Oklahoma's starter before Peterson took over and has since become the backup, said he spoke with Peterson about missing class.

"That's just one of those deals. That kind of happens to everybody," Jones said. "He knows we're going to need him. He's going to play this week. I just told him to keep his head up and stay in the film room still."

After the win against Tulsa, Peterson said he was trying to become one of the team's leaders. He set an NCAA freshman record with 1,925 rushing yards and finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting, but that team had numerous senior leaders.

"That's a role I've got to pick up. Be a leader," Peterson said Saturday. "Normally, I don't say much. I just go out there and run the ball, but I know right now I'm going to have to start talking and getting the team pumped up."

When asked whether Peterson had been becoming a leader, Stoops' reaction was mixed.

"He has been in the way we work. I'm going to tell you there is not a guy who goes at it harder in the weight room in the summer and on the field. You watch him, the way he plays determined," Stoops said.

"But there are other parts of what we do here as college students and on a college team that also need to be fulfilled."

OU's Peterson Suspended (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2160772)

Astrosdawg07
09-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Great job A.D.

Gp83
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Who is Peterson?

Signed...A diehard UT fan.:p

K-TOWN
09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
sad...

PhiI C
09-13-2005, 09:50 PM
AP better get his act together. Stoops is a man of no nonsense and Oklahoma is very strict.

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 10:32 PM
he should of been an Ag development major at A &M

Old Tiger
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Now I get why they call him AD...

Sits at home (A)ll (D)ay

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Sits at home (A)ll (D)ay touche'

lepfan
09-14-2005, 12:45 AM
You may say he sits home AD and does nothing, but you are still not happy that he chose OU and not a Texas school. ;)

Sure it is sad and he is wrong for skipping classes...he is being disciplined for it...(let's all remember the glass house story) :) Life is full of learning experiences...let's just hope he learns his...because of his athletic ability he is able to get an education he might not have been able to get...if he is not working for the education and going to class then they won't use his athletic ability on the field...pretty simple isn't it...amazing that some have to have a brick hit them in the head before they pick up on the lesson

AggieJohn
09-14-2005, 02:06 AM
i don't care if they are under a microscope or not, he has a free ride to oklahoma and can get an education for nothing....while i am taking out thousands upon thousands each semester to finance my education....

exbccards76'smom
09-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Good for Stoops for enforcing the rules!! College players need to have rules to abide by also. Coach Roberts had attendance rules and weekly grade cards at Northwestern State when my son was there.

turbostud
09-14-2005, 07:51 AM
I have a feeling this is all going to lead up to him going to the NFL next year.

AggieJohn
09-14-2005, 08:15 AM
yeah, he'll jump, too bad he's starting off terrible this year, and he has a mediocre backfield to work with, it's all bringing down his stock

raider red 2000
09-14-2005, 08:21 AM
big deal.

i know lots of kids who wish that they were suspended from practice and still get to play.

that is like suspending a bad kid from school for skipping....give him the day off....yeah that will team him.

Phil C
09-14-2005, 08:26 AM
You are right raider red. I remember in school once in a while the teachers would give us a paddling for acting up and some of the kids were crying crockadile tears afterward while I was trying to keep from laughing. I was used to getting whipped by the old belt at home so that getting a little paddling was like a picnic. :)
Also sort of like when a coach wasn't happy with us in practice and punished us by making us run a few extra laps. In some cases it worked but with some like me it was nothing - I was a long distance runner. :)

sicem74
09-14-2005, 08:49 AM
the best back in the nation and he skips a class wow get over it its a mistake!

Phil C
09-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by sicem74
the best back in the nation and he skips a class wow get over it its a mistake!

As long as he is making his grades what is the problem with skipping classes. Students always do that sometimes but are able to keep their grades up.

handNthedirt
09-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
yeah, he'll jump, too bad he's starting off terrible this year, and he has a mediocre backfield to work with, it's all bringing down his stock

since when is 220 yards in a single game terrible?

JasperDog94
09-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
I have a feeling this is all going to lead up to him going to the NFL next year. Don't you have to be three years out of high school? This is only his second.

BTEXDAD
09-14-2005, 09:44 AM
what, if anything is going to happen with Rhett bomar,( or is it brett romar)?
He had the MIP (minor in possession) after their first game. Not a real serious offense either, but he was rewarded for that by being named starter in second game.
Stoops seems to be losing a little control up there.

lepfan
09-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
big deal.

i know lots of kids who wish that they were suspended from practice and still get to play.

that is like suspending a bad kid from school for skipping....give him the day off....yeah that will team him.

I am sure there are consequences for missing practice...I know this is college, but remember in HS if you missed practice you may have still got to play but you could not until you did make up on the running and stuff...maybe that happens in college too...I am sure they have it all under control

lepfan
09-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
what, if anything is going to happen with Rhett bomar,( or is it brett romar)?
He had the MIP (minor in possession) after their first game. Not a real serious offense either, but he was rewarded for that by being named starter in second game.
Stoops seems to be losing a little control up there.
Wishing on your part...keep telling yourself that and maybe you will be convinced. :) BTW, it is Rhett

Sinton94
09-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
As long as he is making his grades what is the problem with skipping classes. Students always do that sometimes but are able to keep their grades up.

Becasue....................maybe it's a rule! :rolleyes:

BTEXDAD
09-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Know what you mean, lepfan. I just do not like OK.

And I thanks for name verification. I typed Rhett bomar and for some reason it didn't look right.
Only other Rhett I'd heard of was rhett butler. You know, the guy who didn't give a dam

ILS1
09-14-2005, 04:46 PM
I think the main reason AP has been struggling is because OU doesn't have a QB and a passing game. He had Jason White and 3 or 4 receivers who deep threats to score on any play last year. They don't have that this year. Everyone is jamming the line of scrimmage to stop the run. They don't see OU as a threat to throw anymore or until they prove that they can. Just my .02 cents.

:D

JasperDog94
09-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Congrats AP. You get to skip class AND skip practice. Just make sure you're ready for game day.:rolleyes: Great punishment...

Pmoney
09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Stoops is losing control of that team.....too bad:D

lepfan
09-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
Stoops is losing control of that team.....too bad:D

Dream on bub.:rolleyes:

lepfan
09-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Know what you mean, lepfan. I just do not like OK.

And I thanks for name verification. I typed Rhett bomar and for some reason it didn't look right.
Only other Rhett I'd heard of was rhett butler. You know, the guy who didn't give a dam

Hey you feel about OK as I feel about A/M and UT....it just kinda goes against the grain to have happy thought about them :) .
I certainly hope this Rhett "gives a damn".... lol or it will be a long and painful season. :)

AggieJohn
09-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
since when is 220 yards in a single game terrible? 52 against a mediocre TCU defense with a loss is

MARLINDOGS
09-15-2005, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Sits at home (A)ll (D)ay :clap: :clap: