PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from Vernon?

injuredinmelee
09-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Anyone help me out that has played them or seen them this year?

injuredinmelee
09-14-2005, 07:18 AM
no one knows?

Odis
09-14-2005, 09:54 AM
They have some speed. They have a good tailback. They seem to have went back to their more basic stuff that they have had a ton of success with in the past. Two tight ends, power sweep, toss sweep, ect.. They may have a little problem with depth. O-Line seems good if not overly big.

injuredinmelee
09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
ty for the update. It should be a good game between them and Wylie this week in Abilene.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-14-2005, 11:22 AM
I have watched Vernon play twice and they seem to be improving each week. (That is a good thing). Odis summed them up very well. Basic I formation throw in a little Wing T and maybe even go shotgun (although they didn't do it last week). They have a very big NG over 320 pounds that can move. Very good run stopper. They also have quick DE's. A veteran LB in Craighead. The DB's are young and suspect and I'm sure they will be tested this week. Vernon has a decent team that is trying to do more like Wylie. By mixing in the pass more and usually that is a rollout pass hitting either the TE or FB as they roll across the field. Vernon doesn't have a lot of depth and last week they faded in the 4th.

Vernon will put up a good fight but probably not good enough to beat Wylie. Although you never know. This team has some horses but I think they get tired because so many go both ways.

Players to watch:
#20 Zamora (Speed..ran a kickoff back 88 yards last week against 4A WF High) Also carried 31 times for 160 yards. Also plays DE. Tough kid.

#45 (I think that is his number) LB Craighead. 3 year starter. Plays the run well.

#75 Morales (guard) very good blocker. Works well against bigger kids because he is very strong. The kid is quick and a good blocker.

#11 Williams (QB) He is the back up qb. They switch him in and out with the other QB. He has some speed. Usually when he is in Vernon will use the option and or will work out of the gun and just let Williams take off down the field. The other QB Miller is a better overall QB although he is not as quick as Williams. Miller has a better arm and is a year older and makes less mistakes. (Williams fumbled at the goal line last week as Vernon was going to go ahead of Old High with 5 min. left in the game.)

#14 is a tough kid -- plays either a DE or a outside LB and is quick and just make plays.

I'll be at the game by the way!

injuredinmelee
09-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Wylie proved very susceptible (sp) to the kick and punt return last week. It was the same last year. It is my opinion that it was the kickoff return by Dee Walker that turned the game around for Snyder who went on to dominate the second half in their win against the Bulldogs.

handNthedirt
09-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Vernon Lions should regain their form as a playoff team according Head Coach Keith Hall.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I agree with that. The Lions will make the playoffs this year. I think they will continue to improve which is what they need to do right now. By the time district rolls around, the Lions will have a good football team.

GreenMonster
09-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Vernon Lions should regain their form as a playoff team according Head Coach Keith Hall.

What does he know, he thought they had a playoff spot wrapped up last year. He was so confident that he skipped their last District game against Breckenridge to have hemorrhoid surgery. I guess he thought he wouldn't be able to make the bus ride anyway. :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What does he know, he thought they had a playoff spot wrapped up last year. He was so confident that he skipped their last District game against Breckenridge to have hemorrhoid surgery. I guess he thought he wouldn't be able to make the bus ride anyway. :D

Very true. I bet he doesn't miss another one like that. A lot of people were mad about that including many players.

injuredinmelee
09-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Is this for real? That's nuts. Whats the guys name that used to be at IP and is now at Vernon as the DC?

VWG
09-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Vernon has some talent, but I feel that Vernon will only keep this game close for about the first quarter. Keenum and co. should pick the Lions apart and go on for a three TD victory.
Nothing against Vernon..... I just think Wylie is that good. Whenever you have a true D-I quarterback and a good offensive line, the offense can get rolling in a hurry. Vernon will have to disrupt Keenum to stay in this game.