PDA

View Full Version : Predictions? Art or Science?

Bullaholic
09-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I think anybody should be able to make a prediction on a game anytime. That is part of the "fun" of being a high school football fan. Now, the question is---are you willing to defend your prediction with sound logic if someone takes exception to it? Predictions can be art, or science. Homer predicitions in support of your team or area would be more "art" and are heartfelt and sincere, and are fine, if identifyed as such. (I have made some of these---I don't get to see many teams out of the North Texas area.) "Science" predictions, however, are made by the students of the game who are not necessarily partisan to any particular team and are usually based on such team factors as:

1. Number of returning seniors/lettermen
2. Prior year's performance.
3. No. of players having size,speed, and athleticsm.
4. Coach's W/L record
5. Strength of Schedule and quality of opponents.
6. Winning tradition.
7. Offense and defense stats

There are many on the Downlow who do the "science", and have been serious students of the highschool football game for a long time. I have tremendous admiration for the skill of these people. They spend a lot of time "researching" their facts and follow a lot of teams each season and I enjoy reading their threads. Again--I also appreciate the "zeal" of the homer posters, there is no "shame" in that--that is the heart and soul of Texas high school football---undying support of your team. It is this mix that keeps it fun and interesting for all of us.