PDA

View Full Version : AstroWorld to close at end of 2005 Season

sahen
09-12-2005, 10:53 PM
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou050912_mh_astroworld.4f6d3367.html

I know we talk about fat cats w/ oil and stuff, but here is an example of them in another industry....Six Flags has bought out almost all the theme parks and will make more money in the short term by selling astroworld due to property value...They own so many other parks the long term consequences doesn't matter since they can keep the other ones up and running and make tons of money....well i geuss we can all enjoy six flags splashtown now ::rolls eyes:: i wish stuff was still independtly owned and operated.....

SintonFan
09-13-2005, 12:32 AM
We took the kids to Astroworld this summer and I was disapointed. I remembered the park to be clean when last I was there. It was dirty throughout and employees didn't look well trained. I'm sure management has something to do with that.
While I'll miss the place because of nostalgia reasons, the sale will help with the huge debt the company has. Six Flags has (don't quote me) something like several billion dollars of debt.
:(

sahen
09-13-2005, 12:36 AM
maybe they shouldve quit trying to buy all the other theme parks so they couldve remedied that problem....

SintonFan
09-13-2005, 12:42 AM
lol I haven't kept up with them that much and didn't know about the acquisitions.
They also might invest in better themed rides like Universal studios has but then again they are known for roller coasters and more traditional rides too.

NHSRattler60
09-13-2005, 01:47 AM
I say

MEET AND GREET AT ASTROWORLD!!

WOOOO!!

pirate44
09-13-2005, 05:54 AM
this is sad news for me. its a piece of my childhood gone and i wont be able to pass on to my son the fun of going there. i remember before six flags bought them. it was my disney world when i was a kid. i know there are others around, but its not the same. :(

LogieJoeBean001
09-13-2005, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
this is sad news for me. its a piece of my childhood gone and i wont be able to pass on to my son the fun of going there. i remember before six flags bought them. it was my disney world when i was a kid. i know there are others around, but its not the same. :(

Same here, pirate44, same here!

spiveyrat
09-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Aw, that's too bad it's closing. :(

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 07:51 AM
i too am sad, but yet i went this summer too and wasn't impressed by the staffing

YBS
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Six Flags spread themselves too thin. Instead of trying to buy so many parks they should've stayed a bit smaller and made all the parks more "securely" staffed and CLEAN! It's a shame that my kids won't get a chance to see Astroworld...a darn shame.:(

CHS_CG
09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I went probably 2 or 3 years ago for "spirit fest" with some friends and we rode the rides all day and then went to watch the bands they had and the park wasnt all that clean but one good thing about it is it didnt have as many people in it. We didnt wait in line for a long time which was a plus for me but the park was kinda dirty!

lepfan
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Growing up in the neck of woods that I did...we always went to Six Flags (Arlington)...after moving to LG we took our kids to Astro World...ONE TIME...that place was like a big carnival. It was no comparison to the real SIX FLAGS parks. I saw it as dirty and just an oversized carnival. AGAIN, this is only my opinion.

pirate44
09-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Growing up in the neck of woods that I did...we always went to Six Flags (Arlington)...after moving to LG we took our kids to Astro World...ONE TIME...that place was like a big carnival. It was no comparison to the real SIX FLAGS parks. I saw it as dirty and just an oversized carnival. AGAIN, this is only my opinion.
thats a shame. those owners really screwed up a good thing.

lepfan
09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
My day started at 6:30 am...and it did not start good...SO can you tell I am a bit negative today...sorry

IHStangFan
09-13-2005, 12:55 PM
well that aint worth a chit! but it just goes to show how money and greed have consumed this country.

AP Panther Fan
09-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
well that aint worth a chit! but it just goes to show how money and greed have consumed this country.

also goes to show ya that if you don't take care of what you have....you might not have it long.

Give me Fiesta Texas, Sea World or even Schitterbahn anyday.:cool:

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
i feel sad for the roller coasters, where will they go?

IHStangFan
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
also goes to show ya that if you don't take care of what you have....you might not have it long.

Give me Fiesta Texas, Sea World or even Schitterbahn anyday.:cool: Schlitterbahn is awesome...havent been there in years though.

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
it's been rated the best water park several times

AP Panther Fan
09-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Schlitterbahn is awesome...havent been there in years though.

I truly don't like theme parks much, but the great thing about Schlitterbahn, besides the fact that it is clean, is that you can take your own ice chest with food and drinks. Makes it more affordable for the average family that can't afford $5.00 for a hot dog... :rolleyes: or $6.00 for dippin dots:rolleyes:;)

Bandera YaYa
09-13-2005, 01:19 PM

Give me Fiesta Texas, Sea World or even Schitterbahn anyday.:cool: I agree with you...I went to AstroWorld about 5-6 years ago and was not impressed at all...it was dirty and STINKY.....like nite and day going there and then to Fiesta Texas.......too bad for all those employees tho.....

Bandera YaYa
09-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I truly don't like theme parks much, but the great thing about Schlitterbahn, besides the fact that it is clean, is that you can take your own ice chest with food and drinks. Makes it more affordable for the average family that can't afford $5.00 for a hot dog... :rolleyes: or $6.00 for dippin dots:rolleyes:;) Hey, Dippin Dots ROCK!!!! :D

pirate44
09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
roller coaster heaven i think

AP Panther Fan
09-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Hey, Dippin Dots ROCK!!!! :D

My "ice cream lovin" daughter agrees with you 100%:D

scrub c
09-13-2005, 01:33 PM
they can do whatever they want with astroword, AS MANY OTHERS HAVE ALREADY STATED,I too think it is a filthy, stinky, day care center for inner city houston...

I would much rather travel and take my kids to FIESTA TEXAS then go to SEA WORLD the next day! ! !

Bandera YaYa
09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
they can do whatever they want with astroword, AS MANY OTHERS HAVE ALREADY STATED,I too think it is a filthy, stinky, day care center for inner city houston...

I would much rather travel and take my kids to FIESTA TEXAS then go to SEA WORLD the next day! ! ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CHS_CG
09-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Sea world was cool when i was little but now im not impressed with it really.

Maroon87
09-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by scrub c

I would much rather travel and take my kids to FIESTA TEXAS then go to SEA WORLD the next day! ! !

Sad but true...Astroworld has declined in quality over the last decade or so, and just a couple of months ago they had a big brawl there that broke out between rival "factions.":rolleyes: Still it's sad to know it will be gone. I had some good times there.

Tackle75
09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
the sad thing is

all the land will probally just end up being a parking lot. a big space of black top.

Such a huge waste of land

exbccards76'smom
09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I remember when it first opened, my dad took our whole family to Astroworld. This was a treat for our family of 7(it was hard even then to find affordable places to go). The public relations folks took our picture together and put in the Beaumont Enterprise and the Houston Chronicle. My husband and I also spent our honeymoon there.

pirate44
09-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by exbccards76'smom
I remember when it first opened, my dad took our whole family to Astroworld. This was a treat for our family of 7(it was hard even then to find affordable places to go). The public relations folks took our picture together and put in the Beaumont Enterprise and the Houston Chronicle. My husband and I also spent our honeymoon there.
great stories. thanks for sharing. :)

sahen
09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
article says the ones that they dont demo will go to other sixflags parks.....prolly the waterworld slides will go to that great wonder known as sixflags splashtown.....i dunno about the other ones....

SintonFan
09-13-2005, 04:05 PM
lol
Money and greed are what this country was built on.;) It has made this the greatest nation on earth.:p lol
I say tear down astroworld. Take your kids to Fiesta Texas or Sea World(it won't matter their memories won't differ much:)).Locate Greased Lightning at a Sinton city park and let the entertainment vaccuum attract something better. Hmmmm, let's say a "Hersheys" or a "Budweiser" style park would be an upgrade. Houston is too large to not eventually have something.

sahen
09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
Money and greed are what this country was built on.;) It has made this the greatest nation on earth.:p lol
I say tear down astroworld. Take your kids to Fiesta Texas or Sea World(it won't matter their memories won't differ much:)).Locate Greased Lightning at a Sinton city park and let the entertainment vaccuum attract something better. Hmmmm, let's say a "Hersheys" or a "Budweiser" style park would be an upgrade. Houston is too large to not eventually have something.
guess that is an easy conclusion when u live in san antonio area.....

SintonFan
09-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by sahen
guess that is an easy conclusion when u live in san antonio area.....
Not necessarily, I believe the loss of Astroworld could bring something bigger and better for Houston. It might take some time but I think a Cedar Point or a Busch Gardens would greatly benefit the whole region and not just Houston. Any company looking for an expansion would have to take a serious look at Houston and what that region offers, including draws from Galveston, Victoria, Bryan and the whole area. IMHO a prime area for a better product.

Astrosdawg07
09-13-2005, 07:37 PM
How do you take apart an amusement park?

sahen
09-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
How do you take apart an amusement park?
in the reverse order they put it together?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I hate that there will be no more astroworld, lots of memories there, yes the park needed an overhaul but to lose it , that is a shame. I hope some one comes in and build a bigger and better park on the Katy side of town.
I will take donations for the park and when I get enough money I will buy it and move it across from the Pasture Of Pain, in Bellville.:D :D

Tiger90
09-13-2005, 11:36 PM
It is easy to say tear it down or whatever when you are not from the greater Houston area. It has been a staple part of summertime fun for decades. It reminds me of WallyWorld from National lampoons. As a kid growing up in the 70s it was such an awesome thing to see the Astrodome's roof as my family was coming around the 610 loop after a 2 hour trip. Riding on the train to the front gate. It was cool. Here is a name few may remember Marvel Macfay. The original Astroworld mascot.

X Man
09-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Part of it is the parking problem with Reliant Stadium. I would think that the City of Houston would step in and do something here. Who actually owns Reliant Stadium? The City of Houston owned the Astrodome.

SintonFan
09-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Tiger90
It is easy to say tear it down or whatever when you are not from the greater Houston area. It has been a staple part of summertime fun for decades. It reminds me of WallyWorld from National lampoons. As a kid growing up in the 70s it was such an awesome thing to see the Astrodome's roof as my family was coming around the 610 loop after a 2 hour trip. Riding on the train to the front gate. It was cool. Here is a name few may remember Marvel Macfay. The original Astroworld mascot.
No offense, but Astroworld has great childhood memories for me. The rides I rode as a child brought a feeling to me that was indescribable. The scenary with all the characters from cartoons made it seem like I was in the best possible place ever imaginable. I can't tell you how grateful I was that I was there, thank you Mom and Dad. Now that I am an adult I understand what my kids are missing out on(I agree pirate44 and others). I didn't mean to seem callus.:(
I was just trying to offer something positive out of the closing that upsets us. Looking at the announcement, we should be thinking about the future and hopefully the means to benefit from this sad event.