PDA

View Full Version : Scores that suprised me last night...

Matthew328
08-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Biggest Shocker may have been Tyler Chapel Hill throwing up 59 on Longview Spring Hill...Gilmer blowing out Gladewater surpised me as well...nice win for Anahuac over Barbers Hill...also I have to give Liberty credit..nice win over Silsbee...Jasper getting beat by 20 was a surpise also..I knew they'd be down..but man..Yoakum-LaGrange was a good one as expected..speaking of being down..man Yoe got SPANKED by China Spring...very good win for Carthage as they handled a 4A playoff team that went to the second round with ease..Burnet totally blowing away Reagan surprised me..but it shouldn't have..Crandall getting blown out by Lindale was another surprise...good win for Borger over Plainview looks like the Bulldogs may be better...

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Matthew328 ]</small>

Rabbit'93
08-30-2003, 12:23 PM
The two that stood out to me the most was Jasper and Crandall's losses.

vet93
08-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Comanche's win over Bangs was a surprise. I know that Bangs is a 2a team but they were rated in the top 5 by most polls. Comanche was supposed to be down this year. My instinct tells me that Bangs was overated. Losing Marcus Draper to TCU was a big blow to that team.

RBARKER
08-30-2003, 02:31 PM
The ones that got me were of course my Eagles losing last night in OT to Anahuac. Liberty shutting out Silsbee, Coldsprings getting beat by Trinity and Burnets blow out of Reagon. Its going to be a long year for BH but they will grow as the year moves on. Anyway I choose to blame these shockers on MARS being to dang close to Earth this Friday night :D :D :D

eye of the tiger
08-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Burnet's win last night didn't surprise me, but the apparent ease of their victory did a bit. Methinks Burnet is the deal.

BH_146
08-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Navasota 50 Brenham 23! Now, that got my attention.

xhardinhornet
08-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Hardin 51 -----Tarkington 7

j_dog
08-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Matthew328:
...Jasper getting beat by 20 was a surpise also..I knew they'd be down..but man...I also was surprised, surprised at how easily PNG handled Jasper in the first half. Surprised again at how Jasper turned the tables in the second half after being so dominated in the first half. Only time will tell which Jasper team is the real one this year.

And congratulations to Liberty. They also surprised me.

zeke
08-30-2003, 09:22 PM
I would sure like to hear about the game between Coldsprings and Trinity. The guy from Coldspring has been ever vigilant in reminding us on the board about Coldsprings 2 Division I superstuds. Did them superstuds turn into duds last night or is Trinity that much improved this year. Does anyone know about the scrimmage results on Trinity prior to this weeks game?

Old Cardinal
08-30-2003, 09:48 PM
To ZEKE: I kind of feel sorry for Coldspring-Jones, thay had some high hopes this year....The win by Trinity, is somewhat of a shocker...and they have to play a GOOD Hardin-Jefferson team this weekend; that gave 4A Lumberton a stiff game Friday night...Maybe it was just first game jitters, to be upset by Trinity, and they will bounce back..

xhardinhornet
08-30-2003, 10:05 PM
How come everyone gets Hardin and Hardin-Jefferson confused?

Trinity plays Hardin in Hardin this week.

Hardin Jefferson has not won in anything in a few years, unlike Hardin.....pay attention to the scores and rankings and playoff pairings every year and you will understand that Hardin is NOT Hardin Jefferson....Thank you !!!

zeke
08-30-2003, 10:42 PM
OLDCARD, Ya know, after the gentleman from Coldspring said all those college scouts kept swinging thru Coldsprings to recruit their boys which I believe he said ran 4.3 40's. I looked over Coldsprings profile in Texas Football. I found it rather amazing to see 2 boys listed with 4.4 speed and 2 other boys with 4.5 speed. Couple that with some good sized lineman. I felt how can this team be considered a 3rd place finisher with 4 racehosses like that. Now with being beaten by Trinity who was an extremely weak football team last year, I'm kinda wondering if Coldspring's head coach who filled out the questionaire that Texas Football Magazine used to profile them was being creative with his 40 times.

Old Tiger
08-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Not 3A but Callalen over San Marcos 31-0. I knew Callalen would be tough but not a shut out.

BH_146
08-30-2003, 11:35 PM
xhardinhornet, Old Cardinal was referring to Coldspring playing Hardin-Jefferson. I'm sure he knows the difference between the two schools.

trojandad
08-31-2003, 12:08 AM
Well I'm sorry to be so long getting something to you guys. I've been chasing the coach with the stats all day with no luck. We've had a death in the coaching family and we were all scattered today because of it.

The short story of the game was our poor execution. I have a tape of the game but the person taking it didn't keep rolling for penalties, so until I get the stat sheet I don't have the penalty count, but we had so many penalties. A minimum of two scores brought back, my best estimate is 10 offside penalties against us (deserved) and we counted 15 center-QB exchanges fumbled. We lost a fumble once on their one yard line, first and ten, and were intercepted inside their 15 with less than 2 minutes left.

I don't have our stat numbers, but the rushing game and passing game were there. Trinity stunted well in the first half but adjustments were made in the second half and the running game was good when we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot. The guys looking at the tape counted 200 yards of offense called back by penalties before they got sick and stop counting. It hurt to watch.

Trinity's score came on a broken play that the RB reversed his field after being slung around by a tackler, no other big miscues by the defense. In fact, the pass defense really played well, if there's any good news for next week vs. HJ. Sorry I don't have the stats to give, tho.

The guys learned a good lesson, that a team can physcally beat someone and lose because of mental mistakes. They learned that all the speed in the world can't outrun a referee's flag.

Yea, I could gripe about the refs, we had one series of downs that the refs only gave us three downs, another play after the fumble on their one where their QB was being sacked by us in the endzone (which would have tied the game) and he threw the ball and hit his own center in the back, but they called no grounding with every eligible receiver out in the pattern, on and on. But the offsides penalties were all ours and they killed stops and allowed them to convert first and five's all night long. It was our loss, nobody elses.

And Zeke, I know I'm not in a good mood as is everyone after their loss. But I'm sorry you think that we're so lacking in Coldspring that we would sacrifice our souls to post a phony 40 time. I can't imagine how pathetic you must perceive us. But I can assure you that I know of nobody in Coldspring that wants to sacrifice going to heaven for lying about a kid's speed. That horse is dead, beat a different one for awhile. We're just as honest and decent as I'm sure you are.

Anyway, as soon as I get stats I'll post them. We have to get our coach on a plane to see his family in Florida during their grief. Sounds like BH and Liberty did a better job of holding their end than we did. At least these problems are ones we can fix.

xhardinhornet
08-31-2003, 12:28 AM
So, give me some opinions on the upcoming Trinity Vs Hardin @ Hornet Stadium this Friday! Do you know anything about Hardin, or should I mention a few things? Do you think Trinity is capable of beating Hardin, at Hardin?

Give me your opinion and I'll tell you this...
Last year, Hardin traveled to Trinity and beat them by a couple touchdowns, this year, Hardin is much better and a whole lot quicker.

Holla back....

trojandad
08-31-2003, 12:38 AM
Trinity only suited 25 guys and didn't play all of those. They got tired late. We had 2 long scores brought back and should have had another with the ball on the one, so we should have taken it by 20. If you guys have the offense you had last year, you should be 20 better than them.

All of that meaning you do better than we did in not allowing them to bark you offsides, the QB has a tough cadence. They also did a hard stunt between center and guard that we adjusted to but it worked for a couple of losses until we adjusted.

If you guys are the same team we played last year you will be alright, just don't beat yourselves.

xhardinhornet
08-31-2003, 12:46 AM
Sounds like solid information....
Yeah, I was at that playoff game last year in Barbers-Hill. That was a good game, terrific matchup between ya'lls quickness, and or hard runners, along with Cedric*QB, now playing at SFA. Anyways, in my opinion Hardin is better than last years team. Bigger with the same running back as last year, and man, he is very illusive and quick, once he gets outside, its a quick 6.
I'm thinking a 20-30 point victory for the Hornets....

Thanks for the info TrojanDad

GoForIt
08-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Wow, Caldwell only gave up 21 points in the third quarter. Now, that surprised me.

the tigers are back
08-31-2003, 08:09 AM
I went to brenham and navasota game not exspecting to see a blowout like that. Yeah i'm sure that noone thought the out come would be like that.Wharton demolished columbus and yoakum eases by lagrange now that was a ringer. :confused:

Old Cardinal
08-31-2003, 09:41 AM
To XhardinHornet---I was very aware that H-J was playing Coldspring, your assumption that I must be talking about something else, was wrong. And yes: I see H-J as a GOOD team this year; I hope Hardin does not take them lightly, when the time comes. To score a couple of times on 4A Lumberton says that they are an immerging program...We will have to see how H-J handles(4.2 and 4.3 speed), out of Coldspring....That's faster than any other teams on the Gulf Coast!

Specklebelly
08-31-2003, 10:12 AM
The Navasota - Brenham score is obviously a shocker. Another suprising score to me was Wharton hammering Columbus 44 - 0. Wharton's entire backfield was making their 1st varsity start after they lost two 1st team all district performers from last year. Columbus is also traditionally a defensive oriented team and always a tough game. The problem is they have zero speed this year and Wharton has plenty of that. It must have been the difference in the game but being a 44 point difference was shocking to me. Either Columbus is awful this year or Wharton might finally be getting the most out of their athletes.

RBARKER
08-31-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the update Trojandad. Sounds like Coldsprings had the same trouble BH did with penalties. Well its just a preseason game and we both have two more games to work out the kinks before District begins. BH has HF nex then 4A Dickinson before district starts. BH could be 0-3 by district unless the coaches can bring the Offense together.

zeke
08-31-2003, 12:26 PM
TROJANDAD, Man it would be great if everyone thought the consequences of lying, even little white ones, was an eternal trip to hell. If that was the case, I feel certain that an awful lot of coaches across Texas would have answered their questionnaire to Texas Football a little different.
I learned many years ago that it is impossible to tell when someone is lying to you unless you have forehand knowledge of the issue. The fact is that a wise man, if he’s interested in seeking the truth of a matter, will generally have to investigate and interrogate, and only then reach his decision based on a preponderance of information. In fact that was what I was doing last night here on the board….investigating.
Trojandad, you must be a liberal in that you used a liberal tactic against me. When I questioned the credibility of just one man’s statement, you switched it to questioning the credibility of everyone that lives in your community. Using that failed thinking one would assume that if there is one thief in your midst, then the whole town is full of nothing but thieves.
And lastly. “Beating a dead horse” would suggest I had been harping and bringing this issue up many times. Words mean things. I brought the issue up only once.
Fact is you have bigger fish to fry….If your team has that kind of talent.

kaorder1999
08-31-2003, 12:28 PM
sulphur springs 10 - Wylie 7

xhardinhornet
08-31-2003, 07:07 PM
4.2, 4.3 40 x's are rare, but there are kids out there with that kinda speed, just don't think any of them live in coldspring....haha

trojandad
08-31-2003, 10:24 PM
No, Zeke, You told me about what I had been posting, so I assumed you were up to date on all I had posted. One of the latest posts was to say that I got my information from the walls of the locker room. I let Old Card and anyone else that had a hard time with the 40 times know to call the head coach and ask him what is posted as their 40 times. His number is in the book. I'm sure he doesn't want to lose his soul either.

Along with not agreeing with your arguments, I also don't live your lifestyle about white lies. I personally don't separate the two, but we obviously differ there. You don;t want my opinion on that nor do I need to hear yours.

Yes, I said what their times were. I didn't time them myself, I only read what they are. If we go 0-10, those will still be the posted times. If you choose to believe somebody wanted to stretch the truth with the times, whether it's one person or the entire town, then that's what you believe. Whatever you choose to believe, or hardin guy, or anyone else, is your determination. I sleep well either way. I was just letting you know that I don't believe as you do, that someone here has a desire to stretch truths to you, the reading public, the athletes, anyone.

Yes, I do believe you've beat it to death. But if you gotta, get busy. I'm sure I can get the guys together and they can run for you if you like, but if we did that it would mean we gave a rip about what you believed. If they run 4.9's, who cares? I was asked about our backfield speed, and I read what's in the spring runs. If you believe they weren't correct, then you believe that. I sleep well at night, and know that I would handle a face to face meeting well about my conscious and your insistence that speed doesn't exist here. And until you are more than just a typing accuser, not much left to do except to watch where your next accusations come from. So much fun.

landries
08-31-2003, 11:35 PM
ghost

the tigers are back
09-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Well i knew for the beginning of the season that wharton would be the team to watch. I also think that wharton will also pull the victory over rice this year and win dist.Wharton after losing to bandera last year in the playoffs; i really beleive that they will suprise some teams this year.So i don't think that columbus have anything this year;just like last year a little defense and no offense. :D

espn1
09-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Wharton didn't lose to Bandera. They got destroyed by Burnet.

sinton66
09-01-2003, 10:02 AM
" BURNET , durn-it". (Just trying to be helpful there, espn1.) :D :D :D

<small>[ September 01, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>