PDA

View Full Version : Why is Iowa Park 0-3?

Odis
09-12-2005, 01:38 PM
After listening all offseason to my friends assurances that we would not miss Swenson, that we'd be even better this year, that we were going to win the ring, ect.... All I've seen is a fumbling bumbling team that's fair at best. We seem to have 1 GOOD lineman and skill players that are average at best. Was I the victim of a snow job??

injuredinmelee
09-12-2005, 02:13 PM
they have a pretty tough schedule so far, but i thought they might pull off one win at least. I still havent watched them play this season but after watching twice last year I have to say that the scheme is pretty mundane and unimaginative. A decent defensive coordinator can easily make a plan to slow it down. The secret is having the mules to run IPs offense and Im not sure they do this season. You cant replace Swenson.

Macarthur
09-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, first of all, your friends that told you that IP would not miss Swenson and that they would win a ring are smoking crack.

It's very clear this team is taking longer to gel than most thought. THere is plenty of talent there; your comment about some of the positions being average at best is simply incorrect. They have several all-district players back. Reily is a great athlete he just is not making good decisions at QB. Fulfer is a very good RB and he's uncharacteristically fumbled in some key situations. If you look at the statistics, their offense has moved the ball well and their defense has held opponets under their normal production. The issue is mental mistakes which have lead to big plays by the other team, especially in the special teams, and turnovers deep in oppoents territory.

I know it's a big IF, but if they get those mental errors corrected, they can play with anybody on their schedule and are still the team to beat in the district. Let's not forget, the teams on their schedule are not exactly push overs.

Macarthur
09-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
they have a pretty tough schedule so far, but i thought they might pull off one win at least. I still havent watched them play this season but after watching twice last year I have to say that the scheme is pretty mundane and unimaginative. A decent defensive coordinator can easily make a plan to slow it down. The secret is having the mules to run IPs offense and Im not sure they do this season. You cant replace Swenson.

Actually, they were quite imaginative with swenson at the helm. They ran a spread offense and threw it around and then they would go into a double TE with close splits and run their misdirection wing-T. I don't think the problem is Coach Ellis' imagination. He's a very bright guy. You just made your point with the last sentence. They are just having a hard time adjusting to life after swenson.

handNthedirt
09-12-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, I believe they're 0-3 because they haven't won a game yet......This is merely the opinion of a simple man.

Odis
09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Well they are all die-hards and were probably looking thru their green colored glasses, but that's what they said. As far as my statements, I have seen them twice and I will stick by my analysis. The skill players seem average to me. Duggins is good. They don't have a back that compares to the Vernon back or the Old High backs. I haven't seen Gainesville but I am sure they will have a few stud hosses. You are right: they are the district favorite but Vernon will test them. The Vernon sweep is alive and well. I don't know how many times in my lifetime I've had to endure watching a Vernon back gain over 150 yards on the Hawks but it's been a few and I'm getting a bad feeling about this year.

Respectfully,

Odis

ro_tex_solja
09-12-2005, 02:59 PM
do they stand a chance against wimberley this week?? From what i know about last year when we played them, wimberley is freakin awesome and didnt lose to much from last year and are goin to be a top contender again

44INAROW
09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
do they stand a chance against wimberley this week?? From what i know about last year when we played them, wimberley is freakin awesome and didnt lose to much from last year and are goin to be a top contender again

They played last week :D Wimberley won 27-10 I think -

ro_tex_solja
09-12-2005, 03:04 PM
lol oops i just remeber seeing a thread the other day about them playin iowa park...my bad

Phil C
09-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
I'm going to go out on a limb here, I believe they're 0-3 because they haven't won a game yet......This is merely the opinion of a simple man.

And that happened because they were outscored by the other teams.

handNthedirt
09-12-2005, 03:15 PM
yeah, I love seeing coaches interviewed and they're asked what their gameplan is......"well we want to control the ball, control the clock, and score more points than they do."

GreenMonster
09-12-2005, 04:27 PM
The problem with Iowa Park is not Coach Ellis's imagination, but rather that this team just simply does not have a viable weapon at QB to run all of the imaginative things Ellis can dream up. By Dist I believe you will see a very vanilla offense out of the Hawks whose main job will be to protect the football. The defense is really pretty dang good. Wimberly scored 2 FG's and 1 TD against the Hawk defense last week, and the TD was set up by an INT that gave them the ball at the Hawk 29. The Hawk offense, or lack there of, has been the problem. IP is fine when they are in the Wing T but when they run the spread look out there they really stink the joint up. Coach isn't blind and it won't be long before the spread look disappears from the playbook. Honestly, I'd like to see Reilly move to a running back position and bring in the Jr. QB to turn around and hand it to Reilly, Fulfer, Rains, or Lytle. IP could be dangerous with a Vanilla Wing T offense with that big O-line up front.

Macarthur
09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The problem with Iowa Park is not Coach Ellis's imagination, but rather that this team just simply does not have a viable weapon at QB to run all of the imaginative things Ellis can dream up. By Dist I believe you will see a very vanilla offense out of the Hawks whose main job will be to protect the football. The defense is really pretty dang good. Wimberly scored 2 FG's and 1 TD against the Hawk defense last week, and the TD was set up by an INT that gave them the ball at the Hawk 29. The Hawk offense, or lack there of, has been the problem. IP is fine when they are in the Wing T but when they run the spread look out there they really stink the joint up. Coach isn't blind and it won't be long before the spread look disappears from the playbook. Honestly, I'd like to see Reilly move to a running back position and bring in the Jr. QB to turn around and hand it to Reilly, Fulfer, Rains, or Lytle. IP could be dangerous with a Vanilla Wing T offense with that big O-line up front.

I think your analysis is right on, GreenMonster. I think many folks from IP took Swenson for granted. The offense IP has run the last couple of years required a very talented QB and was difficult for opposing teams to gameplan.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I also recognized that Swenson was something special last year. The kid just made plays out of nothing. He could pass and run and really just get out of jams. IP had a great team last year and I know the expectations are high for them this year.

Let me compare Vernon of two years ago that went to the semi finals to IP's last years team. Vernon returned all the skill players and several linemen after a great playoff run. I just knew that the Lions had a state championship caliber team last year, which talent wise they did. However, things just didn't go right for them. Lots of problems in special teams, problems containing on kickoffs and punts, fumbles, penalties and just some bad performances. They didn't have a threat on punt return and almost seemed scared to even catch the ball which put it deep into their territory every time a team punted. Last year a 5-5 team that missed the playoffs with arguable better talent than the prior years regional championship team that went 13-2.

IP seems to be in the same situation. Just a change in a few players makes a big difference. I would have never believed that last years Vernon team wouldn't make the playoffs. I have not seen IP play yet this year but I do think they make the playoffs. By district I think they will be much improved. The problem is so will Vernon and Graham. Graham will probably improve the most because they are running a new system and they will get new wrinkles each week and get better at the vanilla.

Vernon looked much better last week but then they changed their offense up some running mostly out of the I and with two TE's. They still have some O-line problems but I expect they will get that worked out by district. Of course Vernon has the backs and they are speedy. Problem is they go both ways and by the 4th quarter they are dog tired. #20 the HB carried 31 times and also starts at DE. Old High made several big plays in the second half as Vernon just couldn't keep up. Although the Lions could have easily won that game had they not fumbled on the goal line.

Bottom line -- IP will be fine by district but probably not as good as last year.

Macarthur
09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
IP probably won't be as versitile on offense. They have a chance to be a better rushing team because their OL is actually better than last year.

I also think IP's defense is better than last years.

I think your Vernon comparison is acurate.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
IP probably won't be as versitile on offense. They have a chance to be a better rushing team because their OL is actually better than last year.

I also think IP's defense is better than last years.

I think your Vernon comparison is acurate.

Just takes a little time to get all those special teams things worked out and gel as a team. It takes some teams very little time to do it and other never do it. Like I said IP makes the playoffs. I have no idea how far they go depends on how well they get it together. Remember the year Atlanta won state they were 1-4 entering district play (They could have been 0-5 I can't recall). They run the table the rest of the way looking absolutely unbeatable. I thought that Wylie looked average last year when they played Vernon, but by the end of the year they were hitting on all cylinders.

I hope that Vernon continues to improve as well. I will say that district 5 does play some very tough teams in non-district play that will help them in the playoffs.

Macarthur
09-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Just takes a little time to get all those special teams things worked out and gel as a team. It takes some teams very little time to do it and other never do it. Like I said IP makes the playoffs. I have no idea how far they go depends on how well they get it together. Remember the year Atlanta won state they were 1-4 entering district play (They could have been 0-5 I can't recall). They run the table the rest of the way looking absolutely unbeatable. I thought that Wylie looked average last year when they played Vernon, but by the end of the year they were hitting on all cylinders.

I hope that Vernon continues to improve as well. I will say that district 5 does play some very tough teams in non-district play that will help them in the playoffs.

I think this week is very important for IP. If they don't win, it could start to affect their confidence. I know this is if's and but's however they really outperformed the three teams they played offensively and defensively for most of those games. They just go through spurts that they have complete meltdowns and it has cost them dearly. I think they have had something like 6 or 8 turnovers inside the opponents 25 yard line! Those are just killers and really correlate to negative point swings in games. Anyway, I just hope the kids get a win under their belt and get the monkey off their back.

Adidas410s
09-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
And that happened because they were outscored by the other teams.

Thank god our genius posters have arrived!