PDA

View Full Version : Newton vs Jasper

duckbutter
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Any predictions?

Supertilley
09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
This one is tuff to tell. I say jasper wins it. But it will be a game untill the last second.

89JDAWG
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
who knows with the way our offense has been playing. One thing for sure is there will be alot of speed on the field.

bulldogbark
09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
i least we wont be looking at 50 players across the football field.

Jasper 24 Newton 21

RBARKER
09-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Where is the game being played? Whoever has home field I give them the node by 7.

duckbutter
09-12-2005, 01:51 PM
It's in Newton this yr.

wos fan1
09-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Going to be a barn burner..I say Jasper 28 Newton 21.

duckbutter
09-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Both teams have the ability to take it to the house at any time. Whoever has the fewest turnovers wins.

Pigskin 2004
09-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I've gotta go with Barbers Hill in this one. Hell, they win everything else!!:rolleyes:

spiveyrat
09-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
Both teams have the ability to take it to the house at any time. Whoever has the fewest turnovers wins.

That's probably a fair assessment.:thumbsup:

bulldogbark
09-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah BH buy 3:) :) :)

RBARKER
09-12-2005, 02:06 PM
BH by 75:D

RBARKER
09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
It's in Newton this yr.

Newton by 7 then, sorry duckbutter for all of my WOS friend messing up your post.

j_dog
09-12-2005, 03:20 PM
......Whoever has the fewest turnovers wins.
in that case Newton wins! :p

duckbutter
09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Let's hope so...:inlove:

j_dog
09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Let's hope so...:inlove:
ok, bet your paycheck on it! next month's also! :p ;)

Astrosdawg07
09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Toss up...

Chris Hart
09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Flip a coin

89JDAWG
09-13-2005, 06:53 PM
A coach from newton said there was no question they would win but said that Jasper would not score!!! I was a little shocked by the bold statement, but He may be right. He thinks the fireing of the offense cord. is the down fall. Our O better step up they are putting way to much pressure on our D.

nexfan
09-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Is 2A Newton really that good. Can they really beat a good 3A team in Jasper. There isnt a 2A team near my district that could even compete with the top 5 teams in 25-3A.

89JDAWG
09-13-2005, 07:11 PM
remember this is only their 2nd year removed from 3a and a top 10 3a team! so yea they are good year in and year out.

bulldogbark
09-13-2005, 07:17 PM
He thinks the fireing of the offense cord. is the down fall

were did that come from ,, havent heard about that??? would you like to elaborate on that?

Backwoods
09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
A coach from newton said there was no question they would win but said that Jasper would not score!!! I was a little shocked by the bold statement, but He may be right. He thinks the fireing of the offense cord. is the down fall. Our O better step up they are putting way to much pressure on our D.

You just dreamed that one up.

Astrosdawg07
09-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Backwoods
You just dreamed that one up.

It's a little far fetched...

89JDAWG
09-14-2005, 08:06 AM
carmichael was the O cord. last year. he was let go after the state game. he is still teaching in jasper but no longer coaching.

eagle.eyes
09-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Yes Nex, they are that good. Jasper has bugs to work out, Newton doesn't. Newton by 10.

BlueBlood
09-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I'll go with WOS in a close one. They are truly God's gift to football.

89JDAWG
09-14-2005, 09:24 AM
jasper will win I cant see them losing two in a row!!

Jody
09-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by nexfan
Is 2A Newton really that good. Can they really beat a good 3A team in Jasper. There isnt a 2A team near my district that could even compete with the top 5 teams in 25-3A.

My West Columbia friend, Newton has a running back that is awsome. That kid is VERY fast (quick and speed). Their Coach is a hoot, but he is a darn good one. Newton always plays hard, with the exception of the Anahuac game last year.....too many turnovers then.

Unless Jasper plays to their potential, Newton will win this one. I say Japer puts it together and wins by 6.

NateDawg39
09-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Newton by 10...Jasper will choke in the third and not be able to get back on there feet.

big daddy russ
09-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by nexfan
There's some good history in there, nexfan.

I don't know if you were around for the old days of Refugio football (pre-2001... before Coach Harris left), but they could hang with most 4A teams. The 2000 squad had four players go on to Division I schools (although one went to SHSU for track, he could've had a football scholarship) and at least five more that played D2 or D3.

And it's been like that as far back as I can remember.

In 1998, Aransas Pass made it to the 3A State Semifinals with two losses along the way. They lost to Sinton in district (25-24 final score) and got shown up by a 2A school (12-3) in non-district. That 2A school was Refugio.

And the team that Aransas Pass met up with in the Semis? Eventual State Champs Newton.

Newton is everything Refugio was, plus a little more. They were constantly a threat to make it to State when they were still 3A. They made the playoffs in each of their last six years, went three deep or farther in four of their last six years, went four deep or farther twice, and won a State Title.

And the whole time they were doing this, their enrollment was either right at or just under the 400 mark. Compare that to the Jaspers and the Forneys and the West Columbias, who have twice that number, and they did alright for themselves. Heck, they even took on 4A schools like Jasper and West Orange-Stark in non-district (before their move down to 3A).

89JDAWG
09-15-2005, 08:25 AM
newton has most of the starters returning off of last years state runner up team.

MtnAg
09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
They are the real deal! I say newton wins by 14.

duckbutter
09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jody
My West Columbia friend, Newton has a running back that is awsome. That kid is VERY fast (quick and speed). Their Coach is a hoot, but he is a darn good one. Newton always plays hard, with the exception of the Anahuac game last year.....too many turnovers then.

Unless Jasper plays to their potential, Newton will win this one. I say Japer puts it together and wins by 6. Not only do we have Pendland (all state RB) but we also have another back that is just a step faster with the same kind of moves by the name of Jermain Nash. If you key on Pendland then Nash will eat you alive, this kid can fly.

JasperDog94
09-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Is Nash a transfer from NO?

duckbutter
09-15-2005, 01:01 PM
No he played corner last yr.

JasperDog94
09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Okay. Sounds like this will be a great game.

89JDAWG
09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
What is the line on the game? I heard is was 14 newtons way. I also heard a coach say that this is the best newton team he has ever seen. and there was no way anyone in 2a would beat them.

JasperDoGs
09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
http:// Jasper in a close game

j_dog
09-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
I also heard a coach say that this is the best newton team he has ever seen. and there was no way anyone in 2a would beat them.
This very well may be Newton's best team ever. And that is saying a mouthful. But as is so often said, anyone can be beaten on a given night. Even tomorrow night. ;)

89JDAWG
09-16-2005, 08:12 AM
we better start the drive to newton early, last time we played them in newton 190 was bumper to bumper at 25mph the whole way!

duckbutter
09-16-2005, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying that this is Newton's best team ever but it's pretty close and only time will tell how good they really are. Don't forget that the visitor's side is pretty small so I would get there EARLY. Win or lose both teams will come away with some valuable experience. GL and lets pray for an injury free game.

JHS_c/o_06'
09-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Not only do we have Pendland (all state RB) but we also have another back that is just a step faster with the same kind of moves by the name of Jermain Nash. If you key on Pendland then Nash will eat you alive, this kid can fly.

Yes...they did such a great job destroying a tough woodville team.

Hupernikomen
09-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Woodville has a pretty decent team this year. Jasper will certainly have their hands full tonight.

EAGLETOWN
09-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Newton by a million.

OK that's a little much I think this turns into a track meet, Newton by 7.

Newton 35
Jasper 28

J-Ag '09
09-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Jasper by 4.

Backwoods
09-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
There's some good history in there, nexfan.

I don't know if you were around for the old days of Refugio football (pre-2001... before Coach Harris left), but they could hang with most 4A teams. The 2000 squad had four players go on to Division I schools (although one went to SHSU for track, he could've had a football scholarship) and at least five more that played D2 or D3.

And it's been like that as far back as I can remember.

In 1998, Aransas Pass made it to the 3A State Semifinals with two losses along the way. They lost to Sinton in district (25-24 final score) and got shown up by a 2A school (12-3) in non-district. That 2A school was Refugio.

And the team that Aransas Pass met up with in the Semis? Eventual State Champs Newton.

Newton is everything Refugio was, plus a little more. They were constantly a threat to make it to State when they were still 3A. They made the playoffs in each of their last six years, went three deep or farther in four of their last six years, went four deep or farther twice, and won a State Title.

And the whole time they were doing this, their enrollment was either right at or just under the 400 mark. Compare that to the Jaspers and the Forneys and the West Columbias, who have twice that number, and they did alright for themselves. Heck, they even took on 4A schools like Jasper and West Orange-Stark in non-district (before their move down to 3A).

Thanks. Fairly accurate history of Newton. The largest Newton was in 3A was 354, one of the 5 smallest.

neck_06
09-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Flip a coin

the coin said "heads" what does that mean?

Backwoods
09-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Jasper has a good team and has some problems. One seems to be fan denial. They were still in the game until about 3 minutes left. If they had won, they would not have had many people there to see the victory. They will beat us most years and rightfully so. They are one of the largest 3A schools in the classification. We learn from being beat by a better team. However, we will say that we are beaten by a better team, something that Jasper seems incapable of saying. What does that say to the team? Why not just say that we were beaten by a better team, learned from it and will better for it. I don't know how many times I've Newton coaches and players say that we were beaten. They were better than us, but we learned from it.
Jasper will be fine in a not too strong district, and I wish them well. Good luck to the Dawgs. I know that there has already been talk of Jasper not scheduling Newton next year. We'll have an off year, losing 22 seniors, but we're willing. We always better ourselves by playing Jasper even though we rarelyn win. Good luck Dawgs. Hope to see you again next year. Thanks for bringing the little rain shower. The area needed it.

bulldogbark
09-17-2005, 02:51 PM
hey I admit yall spanked our little puppies behind:) yes that shower was nice even though i got soaked. My wife and I talked about the game and I think (no excuse) that our coaching right now sucks... the team was lost on the field seems like. did it seem like that to you.? but yall played a great game and I hope that Newton will go far if not win the state champ.:)

PS get them outhouses fixed:p :p :p

Split Back Veer
09-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
hey I admit yall spanked our little puppies behind:) yes that shower was nice even though i got soaked. My wife and I talked about the game and I think (no excuse) that our coaching right now sucks... the team was lost on the field seems like. did it seem like that to you.? but yall played a great game and I hope that Newton will go far if not win the state champ.:)

Why don't you go tell Danny Lauve that to his face

bulldogbark
09-17-2005, 03:41 PM
i truly think they already know it,,,:) or we can blame it on the kids,,,(I dont think so) Tell me why would you fire a OC that took you all the way to the state finals then fire him...was it because of his coaching?:thinking:

Backwoods
09-17-2005, 04:05 PM

You may be right. That little trick before the game seemed a trifle childish, and it seemed that they got away from what was working. But isn't it the same bunch of coaches that has been there the last few years. Y'all did good for the last few years but didn't quite get to the golden ring. Oh yeah I got soaked too. I live 3 miles from the stadium. Not a drop. Put the wheels back on the wagon and get rolling. Last year showed how Jasper can come back and have a great playoff showing. We're pulling for you.

P. S. We had to use the Porta Potties too.

bulldogbark
09-17-2005, 04:13 PM
they fired the Offensive Coordinater from last year:thinking:

Backwoods
09-17-2005, 04:56 PM
they fired the Offensive Coordinater from last year:thinking:
It shows.:confused:

Hupernikomen
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Backwoods
Jasper has a good team and has some problems. One seems to be fan denial. They were still in the game until about 3 minutes left. If they had won, they would not have had many people there to see the victory. They will beat us most years and rightfully so. They are one of the largest 3A schools in the classification. We learn from being beat by a better team. However, we will say that we are beaten by a better team, something that Jasper seems incapable of saying. What does that say to the team? Why not just say that we were beaten by a better team, learned from it and will better for it. I don't know how many times I've Newton coaches and players say that we were beaten. They were better than us, but we learned from it.
Jasper will be fine in a not too strong district, and I wish them well. Good luck to the Dawgs. I know that there has already been talk of Jasper not scheduling Newton next year. We'll have an off year, losing 22 seniors, but we're willing. We always better ourselves by playing Jasper even though we rarelyn win. Good luck Dawgs. Hope to see you again next year. Thanks for bringing the little rain shower. The area needed it.

The fan denial you speak of must be in relation to what you saw leaving the soaked stadium. Those of us on the downlow know we got beat by the better team.

You don't fire OC for taking you to the state game and IF he was fired I am rather certain there was just cause.

3ABirdMan
09-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
You don't fire OC .....

Yeah PLEASE don't fire OLD CARDINAL! Those of us who know him in person really do like him!:D