PDA

View Full Version : Big Daddy and StangFan's Motorcycle discussion thread....

IHStangFan
09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Okay Russ....lets continue here...as we pretty much hijacked AggieJohn's thread.

I have a few "first bike" favorites. Theyre bargains, theyre good bikes, comfortable, affordable, etc....

Honda Nighthawk 750
Kawasaki KLR 650
Kawasaki Vulcan (in the 750 or 800 trim)
Yamaha V-Star (in 650 trim)
Suzuki V-Storm 650
Suzuki DR650SE

these are just a few of my fav./first choices for someone buying their first bike, wanting something comfortable (this is why you wont see any sportbikes on here...in my opinion theyre just not comfortable to ride farther than around town) and reliable.

If i WERE going to recommend any type of "sport" oriented bike as a first biker...it'd be the Bandit or the Katana.

IHStangFan
09-12-2005, 01:37 PM
here ya go Russ......a pic of the beast...

http://home.ripway.com/2003-7/15091/KLR650net%20stuff/bikepipe.jpg

handNthedirt
09-12-2005, 01:40 PM
what is your opinion of an "enduro"... I think. It's basically a dirt bike with lights, making it street legal. I haven't began looking, just considering looking.

IHStangFan
09-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
what is your opinion of an "enduro"... I think. It's basically a dirt bike with lights, making it street legal. I haven't began looking, just considering looking. the fact that you used the word "enduro" leads me to believe you are of my generation. I myself was corrected when i bought my bike as...i guess the terms have changed. what we used to refer to as an enduro is now refered to in the industry as a "dual sport" and an enduro is a 4 stroke motocross bike, converted to a trail bike by adding a headlight and tail light, but no blinkers...and are NOT street legal. crazy huh? LOL. but back to your question. I myself ride a 2003 KLR 650 (pictured above) and i absolutely love it. very HWY capible, and at the same time, if i'm running down the HWY and see a dirt road or firebreak or something that i'd like to explore, i can....not to mention have room for hauling gear such as a backpack, etc. throw in a 6.1gal tank, and we're talkin serious multipurpose touring bike!! i love mine!

big daddy russ
09-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I really like the V Star. Very smooth ride and has more of a Harley look than most Jap bikes. That's number two on my list right now. Number one is the Triumph America. A little more pricey, but it holds its value a little better and is a slightly bigger bike... plus I'm a huge fan of the old Bonnevilles from back in the day. My third choice is the Sportster. It's not quite as comfy for long trips as the other two and it's gonna run about the same as the Triumph, but you know I've always had a thing for Harleys.

I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the Suzuki or Honda styling, but if I found a deal...

As far as the enduros go, I like the Kawasakis. I don't know if the enduros are the same as the smaller bikes, but I know the Kawasakis are cheaper than the Hondas/Yamahas/etc.

My main concern right now is comfort, and it would have to be able to handle a bunch of long trips. I'll probably put about 20K miles a year on the thing. I've always loved riding offroad, so dual-purpose would be a distant third in terms of options I want. Which one do you think fits me best?

IHStangFan
09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Russ,

The Triumph is always going to be a great bike!! I too love the old Bonnevilles! I tell you...I'd damn near KILL for an old Norton Commando 750!! I know someone who has one in his garage in pieces!! I BELIEVE its a complete bike....also got a couple of old BSAs. but i'll NEVER tell where they are!! MUUUAHAHAHAHA!!! as far as which dual sport fits you best....theyre ALL pretty tall bikes...but you can adjust the suspension. I know they make kits for the KLR also that are basically lowering kits...although..all you'd have to do would be adjust the forks. When it comes to dualsports.....theres "what i'd LIKE" and "what i can afford" i'd LOVE to have a KTM 950 Adventure or a Triumph Tiger or a BMW R 1200 GS....but none of those are in the cards...so i'll stick w/ my KLR...the jeep of motorcycles, the two-wheeled multi-tool....the best dual sport bang for the buck!

big daddy russ
09-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm still kind of partial to the Triumph, but I'm going to run down to one of the local bike shops right now and check a few more out.

IHStangFan
09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm still kind of partial to the Triumph, but I'm going to run down to one of the local bike shops right now and check a few more out. so did ya see anything that caught your eye??

big daddy russ
09-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
so did ya see anything that caught your eye??
Sure did. I like the Indian Chiefs. I like the H-D Road King Classic. And (for dual sports) I liked the KTM's. But I can't afford any of those.

The guys who run the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership here in town are commies and weren't open yesterday, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go check them out.

IHStangFan
09-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Sure did. I like the Indian Chiefs. I like the H-D Road King Classic. And (for dual sports) I liked the KTM's. But I can't afford any of those.

The guys who run the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership here in town are commies and weren't open yesterday, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go check them out. i hear ya on that! LOL. i'd LOVE to have ANY KTM! yeah, that sucks theyre closed, but sounds about right dont it? you have luck like me! LOL.

AP Panther Fan
09-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Motorcycles are dangerous....you are both crazy!:kiss: :D

big daddy russ
09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Crazy, adj. - Affected with madness; insane

I wouldn't say we're crazy.

Fearless, adj. - oblivious of dangers or perils or calmly resolute in facing them:D :D :D

AP Panther Fan
09-13-2005, 05:53 PM
LOL....people who are oblivious shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles, thanks for making my point!;)

Oh well, have fun...just be sure someone takes out a little extra life insurance on you!:cool:

big daddy russ
09-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Oh well, have fun...just be sure someone takes out a little extra life insurance on you!:cool:
Already have a $100K plan. It's enough to ride without a helmet.;)

big daddy russ
09-13-2005, 09:40 PM
The guys who run the Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership here in town are commies and weren't open yesterday, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to go check them out.
Went and looked at the Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership today. Rode a used KLR 650 and a couple of V Stars. Realized I want the big V Star right off the bat, so I'm hoping that I can find a used one at that price. It just rode so much smoother than the 650, the Triumph, or the Harley. Right now, the Triumph's looks still have me wanting one of those puppies, but more than anything I'm just looking for the best deal.

Astrosdawg07
09-13-2005, 09:43 PM
This is no damn way I would get on a motorcylce much less ride with bid daddy russ!

big daddy russ
09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
This is no damn way I would get on a motorcylce much less ride with bid daddy russ!
LOL, funny story comes to mind.

Last time I rode with IHStangFan we went out to some sanderas out in Aransas Pass to ride dirt bikes and four wheelers with some friends of ours. I had borrowed one of our buddies' enduros (this was probably three years ago... I hadn't owned a dirt bike since I was about 16) and was out there jumping dirt mounds and shredding the dunes up all over the place.

At the very end of the day, one of the kids that was there was jumping this one small mound and our buddy Aaron (the guy who I borrowed the bike from) told me to go out there and show him how it's done.

I ate it hardcore at about 30 mph. Never lived that one down.