PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility question (college)

JasperDog94
09-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Do you not have to be a full-time student to play? Matt Leinhart is only taking ballroom dancing this semester yet he's still playing. I always thought you had to be a full-time student.

handNthedirt
09-12-2005, 12:57 PM
student/athlete must be enrolled in 12 hours of class...you've been misinformed somewheres.

JasperDog94
09-12-2005, 12:58 PM
That's what he said during an interview. Maybe he was just joking. I don't know.

c-town_balla
09-12-2005, 04:42 PM
he's only taking that because thats all he needs for his degree

Captain Obvious
09-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Yep according to the NCAA eligibility guidelines here: (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_iii_manual/2005-06/2005-06_d3_manual.pdf) in section 14.1.8.2.1.3

A student-athlete may compete while enrolled in less than a minimum full-time program of studies, provided the student is enrolled in the final semester or quarter of the baccalaureate program and the institution certifies that the student is carrying (for credit) the courses necessary to complete degree requirements. The student granted eligibility under this provision shall be eligible for any NCAA championship and for any postseason certified bowl game or National Invitation Tournament that begins within 60 days following said semester or quarter, provided the student has not exhausted the five years for completion of the individual's four seasons of eligibility (see Bylaw 14.2). Thereafter, the student shall forfeit eligibility in all sports, unless the student completes all degree requirements during that semester or quarter and is eligible to receive the baccalaureate diploma on the institution's next degree-granting date. The Management Council, or a committee designated by the Management Council to act for it, may waive the 60-day requirement when an NCAA championship, postseason licensed bowl game or National Invitation Tournament is conducted at the conclusion of the traditional playing season but begins more than 60 days following the end of said term.

So if all he needs is ballroom dancing then that is all he is required to take.

Phil C
09-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Since he is an athlete he probably won't even have to show up for class and will get an A in the course LOL

Pmoney
09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Since he is an athlete he probably won't even have to show up for class and will get an A in the course LOL
especially since he is Matt Linert "the star QB"

JasperDog94
09-13-2005, 08:43 AM
I think taking a class like "Ball Room Dancing" should automatically DQ you from all sports.:D :D

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think taking a class like "Ball Room Dancing" should automatically DQ you from all sports.:D :D

or at least a manhood of the year award, what do you think YAYA

JasperDog94
09-13-2005, 08:53 AM
No No No Matt. Strike the Heisman pose, not a Macarena pose.:p

AggieJohn
09-13-2005, 08:56 AM
i don't think the macarena is allowed in ballrooms, just ask evander holyfield

MontyPython
09-13-2005, 09:53 AM
i bet being in ballroom dancing has its 'advantages' just like tennis and yoga do

Adidas410s
09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by MontyPython
i bet being in ballroom dancing has its 'advantages' just like tennis and yoga do

wow SOMEBODY figured it out! I would think that ballroom dancing would come in handy for Lienart for 3 reasons: 1) it prevents him from having to take dance lessons for his wedding, 2) in the next year he will become extremely wealthy and thus is likely to be invited to many black tie events where that form of dancing would be appropriate and most importantly 3) have you ever taken a dance class in college? I can personally say that the one at HSU here has PLENTY of reasons to take it...just show up the first day to one of these classes and you too will find out very quickly why! :rolleyes:

BTEXDAD
09-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
wow SOMEBODY figured it out! I would think that ballroom dancing would come in handy for Lienart for 3 reasons: 1) it prevents him from having to take dance lessons for his wedding, 2) in the next year he will become extremely wealthy and thus is likely to be invited to many black tie events where that form of dancing would be appropriate and most importantly 3) have you ever taken a dance class in college? I can personally say that the one at HSU here has PLENTY of reasons to take it...just show up the first day to one of these classes and you too will find out very quickly why! :rolleyes:

Probably a good way to meet attractive, athletic women also, especially those in slinky dresses and high heels.

Me thinks, that's what adidas410s is referring to in third reason.