PDA

View Full Version : Question ?

pantherpop
09-11-2005, 09:04 PM
The play where a receiver catches the ball and pitches back to another teammate. I've always thought it was called the hook and ladder play but my youngest son says it is called the hook and lateral. Who's right ?

jmcgee
09-11-2005, 09:05 PM

crabman
09-11-2005, 09:06 PM
I've always thought it was the Hook and Ladder like you. A couple of years ago I heard it called Hook and Lateral and that made way more sense. The wide receiver runs a Hook pattern and then Laterals to a man coming up behind him. I'm sure that is the proper name although I hear it both ways.

Gobbla2001
09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
I believe that 'ladder' is a nickname for lateral... they're the same thing... say 'ladder' and the first part of 'lateral' (later) and you pick up on it ha...

Da Mules
09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
The tight end runs a hook route and laterals the ball to the back. So technically hook and lateral. But of course that play is nicknamed "hook and ladder." Very effective against single coverage on one side of the field, especially if you catch the defense in a blitz. Midland Greenwood ran a beautiful hook & ladder against Muleshoe in the 2000 Regional finals for a TD, or maybe they thought it was a hook and lateral. Either way, it worked, because da Mule CB took out the tight end, and that fast TB kid was gone. For their only score in the game, right, RM?

Tell you kid about the old Statue of Liberty play, where the QB holds the ball back like he's gonna chunk it, and the TB or WR runs behind him, snatches it, and makes for the pylons. That one went out with Knute Rockne, but I seem to remember reading on this board that somebody tried it in a game a few years ago.

Old Dog
09-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Most likely just a "generational" thing!

Same play; more technically correct description. Us old F$$ts just use more slang!

pantherpop
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
The tight end runs a hook route and laterals the ball to the back. So technically hook and lateral. But of course that play is nicknamed "hook and ladder." Very effective against single coverage on one side of the field, especially if you catch the defense in a blitz. Midland Greenwood ran a beautiful hook & ladder against Muleshoe in the 2000 Regional finals for a TD, or maybe they thought it was a hook and lateral. Either way, it worked, because da Mule CB took out the tight end, and that fast TB kid was gone. For their only score in the game, right, RM?

Tell you kid about the old Statue of Liberty play, where the QB holds the ball back like he's gonna chunk it, and the TB or WR runs behind him, snatches it, and makes for the pylons. That one went out with Knute Rockne, but I seem to remember reading on this board that somebody tried it in a game a few years ago.

That reminds me when I coached youth football, the guy I had assisting me always wanted us to try the statue of liberty play but I was to embarrased to try it. I just knew people would ask what in the world was that. Whats funny is that it probably would've worked

Gobbla2001
09-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules

the tight end doesn't have to be involved though... could just be a WR and a TB/FB, heck, even a QB...

As long as the receiver/runner runs the ball upfield and pitches the ball back to another legal player it's a hook (player running up field) and ladder (player who receives a "lateral" from the first runner/receiver who is ahead of him)...

Sinton Pirate#2
09-11-2005, 09:47 PM
you can really call it either one you look...depends on where your at...its also called the hitch and pitch...because the reciever runs a 6 yard hitch and pitches it

GreenMonster
09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by pantherpop
The play where a receiver catches the ball and pitches back to another teammate. I've always thought it was called the hook and ladder play but my youngest son says it is called the hook and lateral. Who's right ?

I say both of you are right. I've heard it both ways as well as heard it called the Hitch and Pitch.

Old Cardinal
09-11-2005, 10:58 PM
I played ball in the 50s and it was a "hook and ladder" back then...And yes the "Statue of Liberty" works on occasion, in that it narrows the rush toward the pocket-set passer and springs a runner past the initial rushers.
I wonder why the quick-kick is not used anymore on long third downs. I saw Steve Wooster kick one 72 yards in a HS game, leaving an astonished team back on their own 2 yard line!
Football today has turned into a "me to" in that whatever is taught at the HS clinic that year. The Oklahoma offense of the early 50s; the Texas Darrell Royal Wishbone of the late 60s; the true Houston Veer; the straight "T" with its crossbucks, counters, QB rollouts, criss-crosses will still work today but there is not a lot of imagination displayed on HS Coaching offense today.

District303aPastPlayer
09-12-2005, 01:26 AM
i always thought the ladder was used to describe the route of the slot reciever.... run straight, head to the sideline, then up the sideline... i thought that was a ladder route..

Txbroadcaster
09-12-2005, 01:40 AM
It is all semantics..What I hate is when a WR goes in motion from one side to another..and the QB hands off to him and an announcer will call it a reverse..THAT IS NOT WHAT IT IS..It is an end around

Paratrooper
09-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I played ball in the 50s and it was a "hook and ladder" back then...And yes the "Statue of Liberty" works on occasion, in that it narrows the rush toward the pocket-set passer and springs a runner past the initial rushers.
I wonder why the quick-kick is not used anymore on long third downs. I saw Steve Wooster kick one 72 yards in a HS game, leaving an astonished team back on their own 2 yard line!
Football today has turned into a "me to" in that whatever is taught at the HS clinic that year. The Oklahoma offense of the early 50s; the Texas Darrell Royal Wishbone of the late 60s; the true Houston Veer; the straight "T" with its crossbucks, counters, QB rollouts, criss-crosses will still work today but there is not a lot of imagination displayed on HS Coaching offense today.

Does Steve Wooster still hold the all time rushing record in SE Texas? Mind you he played on Bridge City's state Championship almost 40 years ago.