PDA

View Full Version : Will be in Corpus Christi this week, need help

AggiesAreWe
09-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I'll be in Corpus Christi this Wed-Sun and I'd like some advice on some restraunts and night life. Seafood, steak, and mexican food are a must, so what's the best? As for nightlife, I'm up for anything. Also, what local high school games will be this Friday night? I'll consider driving an hour one way, but no more than that.

crabman
09-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Downtown is the Water Street Oyster Bar or the Executive Surf Club. Both pretty good grub.

As for football, wherever Sinton is playing.

big daddy russ
09-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
I'll be in Corpus Christi this Wed-Sun and I'd like some advice on some restraunts and night life. Seafood, steak, and mexican food are a must, so what's the best? As for nightlife, I'm up for anything. Also, what local high school games will be this Friday night? I'll consider driving an hour one way, but no more than that.
The only halfway decent seafood places actually in Corpus are the Black Diamond Oyster Bar (on South Padre Island Drive close to Flour Bluff on northbound access road) and Water Street Oyster Bar (downtown), but they have tons of great Mexican food. For steaks, the Astor (on Leopard a block south of North Padre Island Drive) is good and so is the original Longhorn Steak House (off Robert and Alameda). For really good seafood, make the 30-40 minute drive out to Port Aransas. Tons of great places... the best is Shells on G Street (aka Cutoff Road). I used to work at both Pelican's Landing and Trout Street, they're both really good as well. So is Castaways and Beulah's (although you'll spend a pretty penny at Beulah's). For the best and most reasonable tuna in the area, Hooks in Port A has a Shishimi-grade blackened tuna fo $10. You'll be disgusted with Red Lobster for the rest of your life.

Aransas Pass, City by the Sea, Rockport are other three places you can find good seafood on the north side of Corpus. There's also a pretty good place in between Kingsville and Riveira south of Corpus called the King's Inn.

sinton66
09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Seafood- Landry's (Bayfront)
Steak- Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn (SPID)
Mexican- La Costenita (4217 Leopard) TRUST me on this.
Bar B Que- Joe Cotton's (Hwy 77 Robstown)

No idea about night clubs.

Sinton vs, Beeville at Beeville or Calallen vs. whoever.

Maroon87
09-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Calallen is playing Edinburg at home on Friday night. The stadium is a mile west of US 77 on FM 624, behind the shopping center. If you want some good BBQ, head south on 77 to Robstown to Joe Cotten's. Just stay on 77 and it will be on the right hand side, across from the John Deere dealership. They serve the meat on butcher paper. Bring cash...I don't think they take plastic, believe it or not.

big daddy russ
09-11-2005, 08:09 PM
By the way, depends on what kind of night life you're looking for. Upscale bar, take a look at the Martini Bar, Club 21 downtown, or the Murdock's. For a cool place to just hang out with whomever and get a beer, I like Mulligan's downtown a whole lot. For a club, Bobaruba's and Dick's/Stingers are pretty popular. If you're more of a country fan, the only one I know of is Whiskey Dick's off Staples. Whiskey gets packed on Thursdays, Bob's is packed on Tuesdays and Dick's/Stingers is your Saturday night place.

AggiesAreWe
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. One question, if you had to pick a local game for that night to attend, what would it be? I don't have any preference to classification, just want to see the best teams possible, but a ranked team would be nice. I don't want to see a blowout though, so give me a competative game, even if it's a 2A game, but prefer 3A or better.

sinton66
09-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Either Calallen or Sinton's games would work.

pirate4state
09-11-2005, 09:01 PM
From Caller.com games scheduled for Friday, Sept. 16th.

Class 5A
LA JOYA at CARROLL 7:30 PM
H. M. KING at KING 7:30 PM
MILLER at S.A. HOLMES 7:30 PM
W. B. RAY at LAREDO ALEXANDER 7:30 PM
PEARLAND at VICTORIA MEMORIAL 7:30 PM

Class 4A
SINTON at BEEVILLE 7:30 PM
EDINBURG at CALALLEN 7:30 PM
TULOSO-MIDWAY at PLEASANTON 7:30 PM
PORT LAVACA CALHOUN at FLOUR BLUFF 7:30 PM

Class 3A
ZAPATA at MATHIS 7:30 PM
HIDALGO at FALFURRIAS 7:30 PM
ODEM at SAN DIEGO 7:30 PM
SKIDMORE-TYNAN at ARANSAS PASS 7:30 PM
BISHOP at WEST OSO 7:30 PM

Class 2A
JOURDANTON at GEORGE WEST 7:30 PM
AGUA DULCE at LA PRYOR 7:30 PM
INGLESIDE at TAFT 7:30 PM
BEN BOLT-PALITO BLANCO at BANQUETE 7:30 PM
RIVIERA at FREER 7:30 PM
ORANGE GROVE at REFUGIO 7:30 PM
GOLIAD at KARNES CITY 7:30 PM
BLOOMINGTON at INDUSTRIAL 7:30 PM
KENEDY at THREE RIVERS 7:30 PM
RUNGE at NIXON-SMILEY 7:30 PM

Class 1A
YORKTOWN at LOUISE 7:30 PM
D'HANIS at FALLS CITY 7:30 PM
WEIMAR at FLATONIA 7:30 PM
PREMONT at BENAVIDES 7:30 PM

Unknown Class
SANTA ROSA at LA FERIA 7:30 PM
SHINER at UNIVERSAL CITY RANDOLPH 7:30 PM

AggiesAreWe
09-11-2005, 09:25 PM
How long of a drive would it be to Beeville? Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't Calallen kill Edinburg. I really don't care to see that. Looks like maybe the 5A games in town that night might be my best bet.

Maroon87
09-11-2005, 09:26 PM
If you go to the Calallen game and want to have a beer afterward, head farther west on 624 approx. 2 miles. There's a place called the 50-Yard Line on the left hand side, next to the Goodyear dealer, just past the intersection of 624 and FM 1889. It's owned by former Texas A&M-Kingsville All American and Green Bay Packer Pro Bowl OL Earl Dotson. I've been there a couple of times...it's small but it's got a really cool atmosphere for a place out in the boonies.

SintonFan
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. One question, if you had to pick a local game for that night to attend, what would it be? I don't have any preference to classification, just want to see the best teams possible, but a ranked team would be nice. I don't want to see a blowout though, so give me a competative game, even if it's a 2A game, but prefer 3A or better.
We don't want you to see some of the "competitive" games...:D
Those tend to be be pretty rank.:(
j/k
3A:
If you want to see a decent game go to Zapata at Mathis. It should be a good game. That's 30 min north of Corpus on IH37.
Sinton does play 4A Beeville who just lost a close game to a good Kingsville team. The game is in Beeville, north of CC by 35 minutes.
Edinburg at Calallen looks to be a good game to see in CC. La Joya at Carroll might be just so so.
The Cal game should be the best game to see in the city.
Sinton we hope isn't looking past Beeville(to Cuero) though so that's why some of us think this will be pretty good. The coach at Beeville was the HC at Mathis when he made Sinton-Mathis a rivalry again. :D

AggiesAreWe
09-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Looks like the Sinton or Calallen game should be my pick. Depending on what time I get out of my conference Friday afternoon will depend on which game I'll attend. A 35 minute drive will not be that bad. Is there a good place to eat in Beeville if I go?

AggiesAreWe
09-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I can't believe I forgot to ask the most important question of all. What's the best golf courses to play in the Corpus area? I mean the best, don't care about the cost.

AggieJohn
09-11-2005, 09:52 PM
go to the one near the university

pirate4state
09-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
3A:
If you want to see a decent game go to Zapata at Mathis. It should be a good game. That's 30 min north of Corpus on IH37. I agree this game might be pretty good! Just an awful environment, but you could always grab a good burger at Van's! :D
Sinton does play 4A Beeville who just lost a close game to a good Kingsville team. The game is in Beeville, north of CC by 35 minutes. As a homerette, I think this is the game you need to go to!! :D Besides, when else will you get an opportunity to meet all us Sinton posters? :D
Edinburg at Calallen looks to be a good game to see in CC. La Joya at Carroll might be just so so.I think Cal will whoop up on Edinburg. Don't know anything about La Joya at Carroll

Sinton we hope isn't looking past Beeville(to Cuero) I doubt these kids are looking past Beeville, but you never know!! :D We all know the coaches aren't looking past Beeville!!

pirate4state
09-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I can't believe I forgot to ask the most important question of all. What's the best golf courses to play in the Corpus area? I mean the best, don't care about the cost. Sinton Municipal Golf Course is one of the best around!! :clap:

SintonFan
09-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Originally posted by SintonFan
3A:
If you want to see a decent game go to Zapata at Mathis. It should be a good game. That's 30 min north of Corpus on IH37. I agree this game might be pretty good! Just an awful environment, but you could always grab a good burger at Van's!
Sinton does play 4A Beeville who just lost a close game to a good Kingsville team. The game is in Beeville, north of CC by 35 minutes. As a homerette, I think this is the game you need to go to!! Besides, when else will you get an opportunity to meet all us Sinton posters?
Edinburg at Calallen looks to be a good game to see in CC. La Joya at Carroll might be just so so.I think Cal will whoop up on Edinburg. Don't know anything about La Joya at Carroll

Sinton we hope isn't looking past Beeville(to Cuero) I doubt these kids are looking past Beeville, but you never know!! We all know the coaches aren't looking past Beeville!!
lol
I coulcn't agree with you more!:clap:

District303aPastPlayer
09-11-2005, 11:07 PM
for a thursday night party... dollar bar, dollar beer til 11, 1.75 after that... the Stingers downtown is your place... its a hip hop, reggaeton, and dance music place...

there is a golf course near A&M-CC... i forgot the name of it... but its a great course... its not Kings Crossing, but Pharoahs Crossing.... its nice...

it all depends on what type of music you like for the nights of the night clubs

sinton66
09-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Looks like the Sinton or Calallen game should be my pick. Depending on what time I get out of my conference Friday afternoon will depend on which game I'll attend. A 35 minute drive will not be that bad. Is there a good place to eat in Beeville if I go?

Dang meant to quote but edited instead. Yes, Shorty's in Beeville is a good place to eat. Little expensive. If you just want burgers, you can't beat Whataburger.

Sinton Pirate#2
09-11-2005, 11:26 PM
north shore in portland has a really nice difficult course...but i dunno how it goes if ur not a member....u should really check out the sinton beeville game...its gunna b real intense

District303aPastPlayer
09-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Dang meant to quote but edited instead. Yes, Shorty's in Beeville is a good place to eat. Little expensive. If you just want burgers, you can't beat Whataburger.

yes you can... two places: Fuddruckers and Wallbangers :)

SintonFan
09-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Shorty's has been there forever and has great food.:clap:

big daddy russ
09-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
yes you can... two places: Fuddruckers and Wallbangers :)
Is Rusty's still there?

SintonFan
09-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Is Rusty's still there?
They are and should be another good choice. Wallbangers is good too.:)

AggiesAreWe
09-12-2005, 02:54 PM
You guys have really been helpful, specially you Sinton fans. I think I have my meal plans taken care of, thanks to you guys. To honor you Sinton fans for being so helpful, I will be attending your game in Beeville rooting your team on. I'll wear a Silsbee Tiger shirt so if any of you see me, hollar at me so I can thank you for your help. As for the golf, looks like I'm going to play Northshore CC in Portland on Wed., Pharroa's Crossing on Sat. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please post them, always looking for something to do while I'm at these conferences.

pirate4state
09-12-2005, 03:10 PM
You guys have really been helpful, specially you Sinton fans. I think I have my meal plans taken care of, thanks to you guys. To honor you Sinton fans for being so helpful, I will be attending your game in Beeville rooting your team on. I'll wear a Silsbee Tiger shirt so if any of you see me, hollar at me so I can thank you for your help. As for the golf, looks like I'm going to play Northshore CC in Portland on Wed., Pharroa's Crossing on Sat. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please post them, always looking for something to do while I'm at these conferences. :clap: Cool. We'll look for you. Are the usual suspects gonna be in Beeville? I didn't much feel like getting out of my seat in WO since it was raining, but hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can meet w/ you guys at half time. :clap:

Sinton94
09-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Downtown is the Water Street Oyster Bar or the Executive Surf Club. Both pretty good grub.

As for football, wherever Sinton is playing.

Good advice on all the above! Sinton is playing in Beeville and that is about and hour away from CC. Hit the surf club after work!

AP Panther Fan
09-12-2005, 03:52 PM
You guys have really been helpful, specially you Sinton fans. I think I have my meal plans taken care of, thanks to you guys. To honor you Sinton fans for being so helpful, I will be attending your game in Beeville rooting your team on. I'll wear a Silsbee Tiger shirt so if any of you see me, hollar at me so I can thank you for your help. As for the golf, looks like I'm going to play Northshore CC in Portland on Wed., Pharroa's Crossing on Sat. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please post them, always looking for something to do while I'm at these conferences.

Rockport Country Club is one of the nicest golf courses in the area. Enjoy your stay.:)

Sinton94
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Rockport Country Club is one of the nicest golf courses in the area. Enjoy your stay.:)

So very true, but bring your VISA!:D

AP Panther Fan
09-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Sinton94
So very true, but bring your VISA!:D

LOL, yes "nice" has a "price" ......;)

Ranger354
09-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Food::::

(Corpus) Katz21 or the Republic of Texas. Expensive but that is what an exspense account is for.

(Sinton) Back Street is located in Sinton, one block off main street. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, but most everyone else thinks it is good.

(Beeville) Shorty's is called the Lodge now I think. They have very good steaks and is where I go while in the area bird hunting. There is also a Mexican food place there that is good, but has moved since I was last there. I can't remember the name or where it moved to. Used to be on 202 on the edge of town.

(Rockport) Los Comales is located at Bus. 35 and FM 1060 I think. If you want the best Mexican seafood you have ever put in your mouth go there. Get a Modelo or Margarita and an order of seafood nachos. My wife used to be a waitress and has eaten everywhere, this is her favorite place.

As for night life::::

Gave that up a few years back, but any of the bars downtown should do. The Surf club has Robert Earl from time to time.

Glad you are going to the Sinton game and lets hope our boys give you a good show. We will be the ones dressed in Maroon and/or White. I bet I can find you a Sinton shirt to wear!!!!!

AggiesAreWe
09-12-2005, 04:43 PM
As for greens fees, I'm not too afraid of them, as long as it is a nice and challenging course. I have paid as much as $350 for a round ( Pebble Beach ), and have played Doral, TPC at Sawgrass, Redstone, and the Vegas courses, to name a few, so I'm used to pricey greens fees.

Back to the Sinton-Beeville game, if I'm to sit on the Sinton side, how early should I be in Beeville?

AggiesAreWe
09-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Sinton is maroon and white? Great, I should feel right at home since my Silsbee Tigers are maroon and white. The Tiger shirt I'll be wearing is maroon, so it should do, but thanks anyway.

Sinton94
09-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Back to the Sinton-Beeville game, if I'm to sit on the Sinton side, how early should I be in Beeville?

At least an hour.............no kidding! Sinton packs the stands and early!

gobbler grad
09-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Corpus bans smoking in restaurants...:( :(

No smoking in Corpus Christi restaurants

CORPUS CHRISTI (AP) - Voters in Corpus Christi have approved a citywide smoking ban in restaurants.
The ban approved Saturday will take effect Sept. 20. It passed with 16,466 votes, or 70 percent, in favor, and 6,737, or 29 percent, opposed, according to unofficial returns.

But passage of the ban does not mean the battle is fully resolved. A lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the ban is pending in U.S. District Court in Corpus Christi.

"We're prepared to address any issues that may arise" to challenge the ban, said City Attorney Mary Kay Fischer. "The judge wouldn't second-guess the voters. (Opponents to the ban) would have to find some legal challenge to the ordinance."

The push for a smoking ban began in November 2004 when a group called Smoke Free Rights Now urged the city to ban smoking in area restaurants and bars.

Opponents of the ban, including Citizens for Choice and Common Sense and some restaurant owners, said restaurant owners should have the right to run their businesses as they see fit.

The city council initially passed the smoking ban in January by amending an ordinance that set aside smoke-free tables in restaurants. But the council's action was challenged in court and opponents of the ban circulated a petition to put the matter before voters. Opponents gathered enough signatures to force an election.

Larry Jones, environmental and consumer health manager for the Corpus Christi-Nueces County Public Health District, said enforcement will be based on complaints from the public.

pirate44
09-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Butter Churn in Sinton allows smoking :D
go on Sunday noon. that's the best deal.

sinton66
09-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Dang fine menu too.;)

pirate44
09-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Dang fine menu too.;)
im a sucker for their catfish

44INAROW
09-12-2005, 08:28 PM

66 - is that the same owners of Shorty's in Falls City?

AggiesAreWe
09-12-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm not a smoker, so it won't effect me.

I do have a couple of other questions for you Corpus area guys. Is there a Hooters in town? And, what about adult entertainment, you know, strip clubs?

crabman
09-12-2005, 09:32 PM
66 - is that the same owners of Shorty's in Falls City?

It is actually the daughter of the one in Falls City. I think her name is Nita Faulkner. Not sure about the Nita but the Faulkner is right.

If you are in Beeville early, right down the street from the Lodge is a place called Mr. Q's barbecue. Best sauce ever. It is homemade. He takes all of his brisket trimmings, meat, fat, everything, and puts it in a blender and chops it up and adds it to his sauce. Heart attack on a spoon. Unbelievably good.

Ranger354
09-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Adults Only

Some of the guys from work head to Caberet Mens club. And I think the Palace is still in Business. Most of the rest are dives if you get my drift.

Yes there is a Hooters but I wouldn't put it in the same class as the one in Houston or San Antonio.

There used to be a good bar in Beeville called the 19th hole, but I don't knowif it is open anymore.

Maroon87
09-13-2005, 12:31 AM
AggiesAreWe it looks like the Sinton folk hooked you up, but just in case...River Hills CC is a mile west of CHS on 624. Really nice course tucked up against the Nueces River. Not sure what the greens fees are now for non-members...I haven't played there in about 7 years. Anyway, have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy yourself. As long as I'm alive, I'll always call Corpus my home town. I'm really proud to be a "Corpus Christian." Hope you like it!

District303aPastPlayer
09-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Ranger354
There used to be a good bar in Beeville called the 19th hole, but I don't knowif it is open anymore.

The Place where Legends are Made!!

Maroon87
09-13-2005, 01:20 AM
BTW the Hooters in CC is off of SPID between Weber and Everhart on the left hand side.

District303aPastPlayer
09-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
BTW the Hooters in CC is off of SPID between Weber and Everhart on the left hand side.

right hand side buddy... exit weber... stay on the access road heading towards staples on SPID (i dont know if its east or west) and you cant miss it.. theres an owl next to it

pirate44
09-13-2005, 05:49 AM
Mexican- La Costenita (4217 Leopard) TRUST me on this.

i went there last week and ordererd shrimp mexican style and they brought me a plate of shrimp in a sauce and COVERED with jalapenos with some tomatoes and onions.:eek: but it was actually great and not as hot as i would think.

another great place to go if you like to shoot pool is Paradise Billiards behid the Outback steakhouse near Weber St. not smoke and a classy joint. good drinks and pool.

Stretch04
09-13-2005, 07:50 AM
SEAFOOD - BLACKBEARDS ON NORTH BEACH (FRIED SHRIMP)
STEAK - KATZ 21 DOWNTOWN
MEXICAN - KIKOS ON EVERHART