PDA

View Full Version : #2 Marlin Upset by Bellville

dutchman
09-11-2005, 08:15 AM
From the Waco Tribune Herald:

#2 Marlin upset by Bellville

Tribune-Herald staff report

Sunday, September 11, 2005

MARLIN – For those football fans with an appetite for high-scoring, explosive, down-to-the-wire football, this week's Dairy Queen Game of the Week proved to be a hunger-buster.

Marlin quarterback Jeremy Sanders was shoved out of bounds at the 3-yard line on the final play of the game, as Bellville upended the second-ranked Bulldogs, 38-35, Friday night at Legion Field.

Trailing 24-6 at halftime, Marlin (2-1) roared back behind the strong right arm of Sanders, who passed for 315 yards and five touchdowns, including three to Benny Jones.

With 3:20 left to play, Marlin snared the lead on a 20-yard hookup between Sanders and D'Nario Alexander to go ahead 35-31. But Bellville (2-1) moved briskly downfield and regained the lead on a four-yard TD run from Eric Valentine.

Marlin got the ball back with 55 seconds to play and moved all the way to the Brahma 5-yard line with seven seconds left. The Bulldogs eschewed a field-goal attempt for a final run from Sanders, and the quarterback was wrestled out of bounds to end the game.

Alan Cooper led Bellville's rigid rushing attack with 102 yards on 14 carries, while Clayton Chaney chipped in 98 yards and two TDs.

B (1st): Clayton Chaney 31 run (Mike Bonilla kick); M (1st): Benny Jones 14 pass from Jeremy Sanders (kick failed); B (2nd): Eric Valentine 13 run (Bonilla kick); B (2nd): Chaney 9 run (Bonilla kick); B (2nd): Bonilla 38 field goal; M (3rd): Jones 26 pass from Sanders (Sanders run); B (3rd): Brandon Harris 78 pass from Lane O'Connor (Bonilla kick); M (3rd): Kenny Evans 13 pass from Sanders (Craig Contreras kick); M (4th): Jones 10 pass from Sanders (Contreras kick); M (4th): De'Nario Alexander 20 pass from Sanders (Contreras kick); B (4th): Valentine 4 run (Bonilla kick).

LE FAN
09-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a great ball game kind of like the one Liberty Eylau had friday.

BMOC
09-11-2005, 10:17 AM
How good is Bellville this year????

dutchman
09-11-2005, 10:53 AM
since no one let us in on that secret i will keep it that way. look for a good rematch between these two teams in the playoffs. will most likely have a rematch with waco la vega in bi-district or waco connally, if gatesville makes it this year.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-11-2005, 09:52 PM
We beat the#2 team in state, in there house, and you have to ask? (How Good is Bellville):D

GreenMonster
09-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
How good is Bellville this year????

Look pretty good so far.

Old Cardinal
09-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Bellville, Bridge City and Barbers Hill have great teams this year and are proving it. That does not matter, in 3A circles certain darlings will always be placed on a pedestial. Congrats to Bellville you proved yourself--will the Poll self-proclaimed Guru's place you at the top of the Polls :D
Of course not :D

Remember all the ballyhoo all year about certain darlings and when it all played out an unherald team with a good consistant unnoticed record--A. Wylie- walked off with the Crown in Division I.

BrahmaMom
09-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Way to go, Brahmas! I am so proud of the Bulls for stepping up to the line of scrimmage, their backs to the wall, and not listening to rankings, jeers, or forum posters! They just go out there, play football and do their assignments. They don't say much, they just get the job done. That's how they've been taught, one game at a time, for the entire game. Never give up. Way to go, Brahmas! You guys are GREAT!

CougarPride
09-12-2005, 10:21 AM
is Marlin's defense down this year or is Bellville's off. that good??

rhs78
09-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by CougarPride
is Marlin's defense down this year or is Bellville's off. that good??

I don't know about Marlins defense but Bellville always has a great offense and will put alot of points on the board this week vs yoakum.
WTG Brahmas keep up the good work until Nov. 4th !!!!!!!

espn1
09-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
We beat the#2 team in state, in there house, and you have to ask? (How Good is Bellville):D
That's what I was Thinking.

dutchman
09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma

Yep, it is tough to get dominated by a team at your house, bulldog fans, players, and coaches will hang their heads in shame for the rest of the season. I just hope that we can hang with the "real teams" for the rest of the season, probably will get beaten by la vega in bi-district, if not our season ends when we have to face bellville again in the playoffs. it was a good two game run, but the bulldogs are done for the season.

spiveyrat
09-12-2005, 10:50 AM
That was a heck of a comeback in the second half! Must've scared the pants off Bellville! Good game, though.

Brahmasportsfan
09-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Bellville doesn't care about rankings. Sometimes it's good for the players not to have the high ranking, and get overconfident. Dutchman, are you kidding. Marlin will come back with a vengeance. They were awesome in the second half. Glad the clock ran out when it did!!

dutchman
09-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Brahmasportsfan
Bellville doesn't care about rankings. Sometimes it's good for the players not to have the high ranking, and get overconfident. Dutchman, are you kidding. Marlin will come back with a vengeance. They were awesome in the second half. Glad the clock ran out when it did!!

Just sarcasm Brahmasportsfan. Some people get upset when their team does not perform as they expected. My philosophy is that the only ones the players and the coaches have to please are themselves; they after all are the ones playing the game. All I can do is talk noise on this board and cheer them on each game.

Brahmasportsfan
09-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Gotcha!

UPanIN
09-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Remember all the ballyhoo all year about certain darlings and when it all played out an unherald team with a good consistant unnoticed record--A. Wylie- walked off with the Crown in Division I.

What a true statement. Some of the "Darlings" lose two games and stay ranked high on the so called expert lists... where a not so "Darling" team stays undefeated and can't get in the top 15. These experts are as bias as me.

Go Rattlers! Get it together and prove you still belong at the top of 20AAA.

BTEXDAD
09-12-2005, 12:44 PM
There have been some great games between Marlin and Bellville. Not sure if they'll have chance to meet in playoffs this year, though.
It appears that Navasota in 20-3A with Bellville may have a down year, at least it's starting out that way. If they don't make playoffs, Bellville would go in as division 1 which would put them different bracket than Marlin.
Of course that's assuming Bellville and Marlin make playoffs.

dutchman
09-12-2005, 06:44 PM
good point. all lot of football left in the next seven weeks.

Astrosdawg07
09-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by dutchman
good point. all lot of football left in the next seven weeks.

Finally someone else seeing things the way I see things.