PDA

View Full Version : Wylie 19 Aledo 8 ?

gibby
09-10-2005, 08:58 AM
How can this be? Wylie was picked to lose by 13. This must an Abilene Repeater News missprint. Should it be added to their 3 page corrections section? Are the Dawgs for real?

These questions can only be answered by our astute message board members.

:confused:

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that Wylie won, but I was a little tired last night.

Adidas410s
09-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Yes Wylie did in fact beat Aledo 19-8 last night. Here is the article from the Abilene paper:

Wylie beats Aledo
Bulldogs take revenge with win on the road

By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
September 9, 2005

ALEDO — A streak had to end Friday night.

Wylie came to Aledo hoping to snap the Bearcats three-game winning streak over the Bulldogs, and that’s just what they did with a 19-8 road victory. With the win, Wylie’s overall winning streak is now at nine games.

The Bulldogs were clinging to a 13-8 lead when they took the ball at their own 20-yard line after an Aledo punt with 7:36 on the fourth quarter clock. Wylie was hoping to hang onto the ball and burn some clock, and it did just that.

After a stagnant second half, the Bulldogs marched 80 yards on a 14-play drive. Case Keenum sealed the drive and the game with a 12-yard touchdown run that made the score 19-8.

"I was proud of our offense," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. "Going 80 yards and holding onto the ball four of the last five minutes and sealing the win — that was a huge drive for us."

The Bulldogs started the game in familiar fashion, scoring on the opening drive for the third consecutive week. Faced with a third-and-14 from the Aledo 32, Wylie receiver Austin Sayre was able to corral a jump ball thrown to the end zone by Keenum to give the Bulldogs the early 7-0 lead.

The early catch was Sayre’s only reception of the game, but on a night when offense was at a premium, it couldn’t have been bigger for Wylie, which improved to 3-0 on the season.

"I didn’t even know I scored," Sayre said. "It was both of ours, and I just came down with it."

The nine-play, 71-yard opening drive was kept alive by a 19-yard catch-and-run by Gary Edwards on third-and-12 at the Aledo 43-yard line.

Keenum finished the drive 4-of-6 with 71 yards and the touchdown strike, but the Bulldogs’ inability to establish a running game would be something that would plague the team the entire night.

"They were really dictating what was going on up front," Sandifer said. "They had had us playing on our heels up front, but that’s just a credit to their linemen to keep fighting."

It wasn’t until four minutes remained in the third quarter that an 11-yard Keenum scramble gave Wylie its first rusher with more than 10 yards on the ground.

The Bulldogs finished with 108 yards on the ground, but 36 of those came on one Keenum run. The senior quarterback led the team in rushing for the third straight game with 72 yards on 10 carries.

Aledo took the lead briefly in the second quarter when Calvin Jones found the end zone on a 2-yard plunge. The Bearcats turned a bad snap on the point-after into two points, as holder Taylor Zambreski was able to find Bobby Whan for the two-point conversion.

The Bearcats’ score was the only blemish against the Wylie defense.

"We knew exactly what to do from the coaches telling us exactly what they were gonna run," defensive back Taylor Rand said. "Stepping up and making plays is easy when the coaches tell you exactly what to do."

Wylie trailed for the first time this season, but it wouldn’t last long as the team ended the half with an eight-play drive that took less than two minutes off the clock.

Keenum scrambled right as he was being pressured and found Gary Edwards in the back corner of the end zone for the score. Wylie attempted to stretch its lead to seven, but couldn’t convert the two-point conversion.

Edwards finished the night as the team’s leading receiver with four catches for 67 yards. With the running game not producing, Keenum was able to move the ball through the air, finishing 14-for-26 for 204 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

Aledo, on the other hand, couldn’t figure out how to beat the Wylie D. Six ball carriers combined to carry the ball 28 times, but only managed 55 yards. The passing game wasn’t much better, as Trent Caffee was only 10-for-21 with 130 yards.

"We hadn’t beat ‘em in four years, and for them to play a good game with North Crowley, a good 5A team, that game was a big test for us," Rand said.

And as is becoming the norm at Wylie, the Bulldogs passes with flying colors.

Aledo 0 8 0 0—8
Wylie 7 6 0 6—19

Scoring Summary

First Quarter

W- Case Keenum 32 pass to Austin Sayre 7:51 (Tyler Driskell kick)

Second Quarter

A- Calvin Jones 2 run 3:00 (2-pt good)
W- Keenum 34 pass to Gary Edwards (2-pt failed)

Fourth Quarter

W-Keenum 12 run 1:18 (2-pt failed)

Aledo Wylie

First downs 12 15
Rushes — yards 28-55 28-112
Passing yards 130 204
Comp.-Att.-Int 10-21-0 14-26-1
Punts 4-29.5 5-32.4
Fumbles-lost 1-1 0-0
Penalties-yards 3-20 8-65

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing — Wylie: Keenum, 10-72; Felts, 4-5, Edwards 7-21; Howdeshell 3-6; Couch 4-8 Aledo: Caffee, 9- -2; Grieser, 7-20; Dollar, 8-31 Whan 2-2; Jones 1-2; McGuire 1-2

Passing — Wylie: Keenum 204. Aledo: Caffee 130

Receiving — Wylie: Edwards 4-67; Davis 3-34, Morris 2-20; Taylor 1-12; Sayre 1-32; Felts 2-33; Smith 1-6 Aledo: Loftin 5-65, Kelton, 5-65

Bullaholic
09-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I sure "missed" the pick on this one. I had Aledo all the way. Congrats to Abilene-Wylie on another great win against a good opponent. They look like they are building for another state title run. I wish them all the best in that quest---they are a class program.

Gobbla2001
09-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Great win, Bulldogs...

gibby
09-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Gobbler. Want to meet up with the Dawgs for another great game. See at the
Biggie.

smustangs
09-10-2005, 10:14 AM
i was at the game and keenum and edwards both looked good last night sayer had a good catch to score the first one and overall i was impressed with wylie

injuredinmelee
09-10-2005, 01:06 PM
The running game has a long way to go before another championship run can be discussed. Sandfier seemed content to throw the ball downfield last night which he isnt usually a big proponent of. Case didnt tuck the ball as much as he has the first two weeks until the last drive when he sort of took over. Aledo probably isnt as good as they have been in the last 3 years but I feel they are still a playof team in their brutal district.

ro_tex_solja
09-10-2005, 01:34 PM
who picked aledo to win?

VWG
09-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The running game has a long way to go before another championship run can be discussed. Sandfier seemed content to throw the ball downfield last night which he isnt usually a big proponent of. Case didnt tuck the ball as much as he has the first two weeks until the last drive when he sort of took over. Aledo probably isnt as good as they have been in the last 3 years but I feel they are still a playof team in their brutal district.

Aledo's district isn't that tough, because it's been Stephenville and Aledo dominating. FW Brewer, Mineral Wells, etc... have had to fight for that third spot.
The old Graham coach, Bourquin, could make things interesting this year. The Rams lost to 5A Weatherford 49-46 in double OT this Friday night. Mineral Wells has a definite D-1 RB prospect in that Thompson kid.
Mineral Wells could give Aledo a run for 2nd in that district. Stephenville will probably run away with the district title.

gibby
09-10-2005, 07:25 PM
You are right --- dangit. So I'm cornered. Running games come from a back. Please don't take this the wrong way. Half back, Full back, Quater BACK. We all know that Case is the leading rusher so far, but who wants your QB exposed. Kinda like chess. Hugh Sanderfer uses everybody to the best of their ability. I think you will agree that's a given. Will this back field make it to state? Don't know. Will coach bring up either of the two strong fish running backs? He has never done it in the past. Do I trust his judgment. You bet! You are still right. It would be nice to have a back leading the rushing stats right now, and Case throwing strikes, but we got what we got. Hugh will make it a great season and this lowly fan will keep buying the tickets. Thanks.