PDA

View Full Version : Shootout resumes (Cuero/Wharton, Victoria Advocate)

Gobbla2001
09-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Shootout resumes

September 9, 2005
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

Bizarre as it may seem the last two games between Cuero and Wharton were decided by a defensive play.

The teams combined for 172 points and over 1,700 yards of offense in action-filled games that weren't decided until the final minute of the fourth quarter.

But it was a blocked field goal by Kellen Heard with 43 seconds remaining that preserved Wharton's 32-29 win in the 2003 Class 3A, Division I bi-district contest at Victoria's Memorial Stadium.

Cuero claimed a 56-55 win in last year's non-district game at Cuero's Gobbler Stadium only after Martell Williams knocked down a Wharton pass on a two-point conversion attempt with 51 seconds left.

"People ask me what's going to happen when we play Wharton and I have no idea," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "It seems like since the second half of that bi-district game, it's been crazy."

Whether or not the craziness continues will be determined today at 7:30 p.m. when Cuero (2-0) and Wharton (0-1) meet again at Wharton's Tiger Stadium.

"People want to know if it's going to be three in a row like the last two and that's hard to believe," Wharton coach Russell Roberts said. "They're so good and we're so green. We just hope we can make it that kind of a game."

The circumstances of this season's game are eerily similar to last year's contest. Cuero came into last season's game off of two shutouts and ranked No. 2 in the state Class 3A poll, while Wharton had lost its opener to El Campo before having the next week off.

The Gobblers are ranked No. 1 this season after a 41-7 win over Corpus Christi West Oso and a 41-0 win over La Grange. Wharton lost to El Campo 49-26 and had an open date last week.

"Last year at this time we were feeling pretty good about our defense and then we gave up 55 points," Reeve said. "We did come up with the big defensive play to win last year's game, but we had a lot more opportunities on defense."

Reeve was concerned about this year's defense, but he's been pleased with its progress.

"We're young on defense but I think we've made a lot of progress from our first scrimmage," Reeve said. "The thing I've been impressed with is we're playing hard and if you do that, you've got a chance. The last two weeks we've shown a lot of improvement. They're getting used to playing with each other."

Roberts would like to see improvement in a number of areas after the Tigers were outscored 28-8 in the second half of the El Campo game.

"We have to stop making foolish mistakes that take us out of the game," Roberts said. "Some of that takes place because the other team is playing hard. But what annoyed me is we were creating a lot of that ourselves."

Roberts has been impressed by what he's seen from Cuero, especially its ability to score from anywhere on the field.

"The impression I get is they want to get some big plays," Roberts said. "They're kind of getting into the same thing as we are. We want to move the ball and move it fast. They still run the power to get a grip on things and then they hit you with a big play."

Cuero and Wharton entered the season with new starting quarterbacks. Cuero junior Kyle Noack has passed for an area-leading 516 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.

"Offensively, we've had a lot of big plays," Reeve said. "They've ganged up to stop the run and Kyle's been real successful throwing the ball down the field. It's hard to think of Kyle as being new. He started 15 ballgames for us on defense and that had to help his confidence."

Wharton junior Joel Ansley passed for 153 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 34 yards against El Campo, but he also threw three interceptions.

"Every quarterback feeds on confidence and if he feels confident, he'll play better. If he doesn't, he will struggle," Roberts said. "I think Joel is still unsure of himself and that's not surprising. We anticipated it. We're looking for signs that it's coming to an end. If he ever gets a grasp on the offense and gets the confident air that (last year's quarterback) Trey Jones had, he's going to be great."

Reeve admits there's always an element of doubt playing a team that's had an extra week to prepare.

"They've had two weeks to get ready for us and I don't know if that's good or bad," Reeve said. "Last year, they did a good job with their preparation."

Roberts isn't certain what difference a year makes, but in Wharton's case, he hopes it's worth a few more points.

"It's going to be interesting. I really don't know what to expect," Roberts said. "I'm hoping playing at home will have a good effect on us."

Gobbla2001
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
BTW, this game along with all of Cuero's games this year can be heard online at www.lonestarfm.com

gobbler grad
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
good write up...

GO MEAN GREEN... :cheerl: