PDA

View Full Version : Article on scheduling tough pre-district games

WOS92
09-09-2005, 08:55 AM
By: F.A. KRIFT, The Enterprise 09/08/2005

So how's La Marque sound as a non-district opponent?

The traditional power and the No. 1 team in Class 4A - that's Port Neches-Groves' challenge Friday, just seven days after losing to Jasper, No. 8 in Class 3A.

Or how about Bay City?

The Blackcats haven't missed the playoffs since 1995. West Orange-Stark plays the Class 4A team Saturday, eight days after beating Nederland. Even at 0-2 this season, Bay City is no patsy.

Lufkin?

The 2004 Class 5A Division II state semifinalist, the No. 5 team in the state, seven straight trips to the playoffs, the accolades go on and on ... Luck be with Memorial, the winner of a date with the Panthers six days after losing to Tyler John Tyler.

"Here's the deal. When you make your schedule a couple of tough games is OK," West Orange-Stark coach Dan Hooks said.

However, three or four non-district heavyweights in a row, and eventually a team might have to cry uncle. The weekly onrush hasn't stopped for WO-S. Nor has it for Memorial and PN-G, and the benefits hide under the adversity.

"We're like an Old West gun fighter," Hooks said. "We killed a guy 10 years ago, and they think we're still fast on the draw. ... Our (schedule) is so tough, it's a little ridiculous."

Ranked No 3 in Class 3A, the Mustangs (2-0) can still pull their gun quicker than other teams. But the Mustangs might have their tail between their legs, beaten up by the endless string of non-district challenges.

Every now and again a one-week reprieve would benefit the roster-thin Mustangs, who dress fewer than 25 for Friday nights. WO-S can't afford to lose another player to injury or academic issues.

"It will all even up," said Hooks, whose team beat Jasper to open the season. "If we can make it to that open date and survive then we'll gain some guys."

But the tests just keep showing up by the talent-filled busload. The teams get better. So does the coaching. And winning proves more difficult.

This is non-district play, so doesn't a choice exist for whom a team plays?

Apparently not.

Top programs are a victim of their success. Not many teams line up and beg to play WO-S and Hooks with his 226 wins in 25 years.

So headaches come when scheduling arrives with the biennial realignment.

"I went a week after realignment with no games," PN-G coach Matt Burnett said. "It's like I had a plague. Everybody ran from me."

In non-district play, traditional power plays traditional power. Bunched into the mix are upstarts like Memorial, a four-year old program that consolidated three football teams. It also made a 2003 run to the Class 5A Division II quarterfinals that coincided with the last scheduling cycle.

"The non-district (schedule) is not by choice," Memorial coach Dean Colbert said. "Schools in this area didn't want to play us for some reason, and we're having to suffer for it."

The Lufkin game comes eight days before a road trip to Midland Lee, one of the longest bus rides Texas high school football can offer at 11 hours.

"I don't worry too much about strength of opponent involved," Colbert said. "We'll play any school in this area and the Houston area. I just don't like traveling that far."

Burnett can understand Colbert's conundrum.

"What happens is we play everybody else that they (teams) don't want to play either," Burnett said.

Hence Memorial travels to Midland to play the Rebels (0-2), a victim of non-district scheduling problems also due to past success. They played Class 5A No. 1 Southlake Carroll to open the season and No. 8 Euless Trinity last week.

Yet out of pothole-filled schedules, a jewel surfaces.

By the time district play arrives, West Orange-Stark, PN-G and Memorial will be hardened with experience against the state's powers and perennial contenders. Colbert and the rest of the Titans' coaching staff will know their players' strengths under the most hard-hitting conditions.

"Once you get into district there are no surprises," Colbert said.

The Titans tripped on the early season humps last year with a 0-3 record. But with the return of a healthy Jamaal Charles - now a running back at the University of Texas - Memorial won District 22-5A and made the playoffs.

"I think it will work this year, provided we stay healthy," Colbert said.

The thorny scheduling worked for PN-G, too. The Indians (1-1) tied for the District 20-4A title at 5-1. WO-S was a perfect 5-0 in District 24-3A.

"It's tough on our kids week-in and week-out," Burnett said, "but it makes us better."

Phil C
09-09-2005, 09:43 AM
They can't bet tougher than Sinton's pre district schedule this year.

First a good 2A team Taft and when these two teams play the records mean nothing.

Then 4A powerhouse Gregory-Portland.

Now we have to go to the Den of Bears! Beware of the Howling Bear!

Then next week we play Beeville who just whipped a good Bishop team. That means problems.

Then Cuero. No comment needed there.

Then Orange Grove who is always tough.

Whew! Hard times inded! Fortunately, I think our team dcan do well anyway inspite of this brutal schedule.

Hupernikomen
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
They can't bet tougher than Sinton's pre district schedule this year.

First a good 2A team Taft and when these two teams play the records mean nothing.

Then 4A powerhouse Gregory-Portland.

Now we have to go to the Den of Bears! Beware of the Howling Bear!

Then next week we play Beeville who just whipped a good Bishop team. That means problems.

Then Cuero. No comment needed there.

Then Orange Grove who is always tough.

Whew! Hard times inded! Fortunately, I think our team dcan do well anyway inspite of this brutal schedule.

Sorry Phil C I hate disagreeing with you but Sinton's schedule is tough but WO-S is every bit as tough if not tougher.

Jasper, Newton, Bay City all state finalist in the very recent past. Throw in Nederland who has made several runs to the quarter finals in 4A in last few years and WO-S schedule is 2nd to none in 3A.

Phil C
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Sorry Phil C I hate disagreeing with you but Sinton's schedule is tough but WO-S is every bit as tough if not tougher.

Jasper, Newton, Bay City all state finalist in the very recent past. Throw in Nederland who has made several runs to the quarter finals in 4A in last few years and WO-S schedule is 2nd to none in 3A.

Except to Sinton. :)

Hupernikomen
09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey Jody,

Send a copy of this article to BHs coaches please...:D

Surely BH can get Dayton, Nederland, PNG, Jasper or WO-S on the schedule for the next 2 years...

WOS92
09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
But that would mean getting rid of such football titans as Vidor ;)

j_dog
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey Jody,

Surely BH can get Dayton, Nederland, PNG, Jasper or WO-S on the schedule for the next 2 years...
Yeah, all these teams are just BEGGING for some good new opponents. :) Bet you could get it arranged! :)

Jody
09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Hey Jody,

WOW......Hooks is pretty stuck on himself......huh?

I would bet he did not ask BH to play. I am almost certain of that. As far as I know, BH has locked down their schedules for 3-4 years in advance. I also would like to se WOS on our schedule.

LogieJoeBean001
09-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
By: F.A. KRIFT, The Enterprise 09/08/2005

Lufkin?

The 2004 Class 5A Division II state semifinalist, the No. 5 team in the state, seven straight trips to the playoffs, the accolades go on and on ... Luck be with Memorial, the winner of a date with the Panthers six days after losing to Tyler John Tyler.

Didn't mention their 5a State Championship in 2001!!!!

Good to see my hometown boys getting some respect. My football roots run deep...raised on Lufkin Panther FOOTBALL!

Deep down inside, will always be a Lufkin Panther, Go Pack Attack!

Jody
09-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Jody,

We may very well end up playing 1/2 of those in 4-A next year. We used to play Dayton years ago, but not sure why we don't play them as a 4-A early season game. As for Jasper and WOS, wished we did. Both are a bit of a drive.

Bullaholic
09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
They say the best steel is made in the hottest forge. Likewise, I think this applies to football teams as well. In 2001, when Bridgeport went to the semis, we were a 5-5 team and everybody, understandibly, thought that we did not belong in the playoffs. However, every team that beat us in non-district went fairly deep in the playoffs. I like a very strong pre-district schedule---it may hurt you in the rankings, but pays big dividends come playoff time.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I would have to say Bellville has the toughest pre-district record. 1st 3 games to top 17 teams, last weel #5 and tonight #2 Marlin.