PDA

View Full Version : Madison adds players to football program (From DMN)

JR2004
09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Madison takes in 22 evacuees; some may play football

11:53 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Madison Welcomes Katrina Evacuees

By TIM MacMAHON / The Dallas Morning News

Madison High's influx of Hurricane Katrina evacuees includes 22 boys who indicated a desire to play football.

Coach Ronald Johnson welcomed the boys to his program Tuesday afternoon. They are scheduled to undergo physical examinations this morning and could begin practicing as soon as this afternoon.

The football players are part of a group of 50 hurricane evacuees who were placed at Madison by the Dallas ISD. They are staying at Reunion Arena and the Dallas Convention Center.

"I can take all the stresses I've had out on the football field," said Urian Duncan, a sophomore who played tight end at New Orleans McDonogh No. 35. "All the problems I've been going through, I have somewhere to lay it all out now."

Hurricane evacuees are showing up at schools around the area. With the emphasis on getting them in the classroom, athletics is a secondary concern. But several already are expressing interest in playing football.

Carrollton Ranchview added four football players, three of whom will play on the freshman team and one of whom will play on the varsity. Jesuit is taking transfers from New Orleans Jesuit, including at least four football players. A pair of football-playing twins enrolled at Plano East. Hillcrest, North Garland, Frisco Centennial and Carrollton Newman Smith also have two evacuees who plan to play football. Midlothian and Frisco each have one.

The UIL released a statement last week stating evacuees are eligible for subvarsity play immediately upon completion of a physical examination and paperwork including forms on medical history, illegal steroid use and acknowledgment of rules/parent permission.

Varsity football players must follow the same steps and submit a special eligibility waiver created for students displaced by the hurricane. The waiver must be approved by the applicable district executive committee and the UIL. Players are not eligible to compete for the varsity teams until 15 days after enrolling, a rule that applies to all transfers to UIL schools who enroll after the sixth class day.

"That will give us an opportunity to really see their talent and put an eye on them," said Johnson, who wasn't sure how many of the evacuees would play for the varsity. "A couple of them looked like they were pretty good athletes. I'm going to try to get on the Internet and see if I can find any articles on them and stuff like that."

Madison (2-0) is No. 2 in SportsDay's Class 3A-others rankings.

Johnson did not envision a problem melding the evacuees with the current Madison players. Depth is Madison's biggest weakness, so Johnson said the evacuees could earn significant playing time.

"It's another opportunity," said Byron Kelly, a junior quarterback from New Orleans. "I think I'll fit in."

Staff Writers Brandon George, Kate Hairopoulos, Randy Jennings, Evan Millar and Greg Riddle contributed to this report.

E-mail tmacmahon@dallasnews.com