PDA

View Full Version : article on LW in teh Star-Telegram

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Good article from the Star-Telegram regarding Lake Worth's balanced attack:

Balanced attack has Lake Worth looking strong
By JOHN MILLER

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

LAKE WORTH - Heading into the season, Lake Worth felt it had an offense that could run the ball and milk the clock, or put the ball in the air if it needed to catch up.

They've demonstrated both in the first two games of the season.

With an experienced offense that includes nine returning starters, the Bullfrogs have played as if they were in midseason form, averaging 59.5 points and more than 400 yards in the victories.

"We have the potential to be a pretty explosive offense," Lake Worth offensive coordinator Anthony Smith said. "We try to stay pretty balanced. But if we have to come from behind, we have the receivers that can do it, and we have the quarterback that can throw it. If we want to line up and pound it, we have the guys up front that love to line up and mash it."

Lake Worth (2-0) opened the season with a 66-0 thrashing of Polytechnic. On Friday, the Bullfrogs fell behind 18-0 to Glen Rose, before rattling off 53 unanswered points in a 53-18 victory.

"It's going to be real tough to stop us," senior running back Jerome Thompson said. "We've got the running game, and we've got the passing game."

The offensive success has not been surprising to the Lake Worth coaches.

Among the nine starters back from last season, they return Thompson, who ran for more than 1,500 yards last season, and quarterback in Jamal Ibrahim, who threw for more than 1,400 yards.

Both have lived up to expectations.

Thompson has 189 yards on 26 carries, an average of 7.3 yards a carry. He would likely have more yards, but the Bullfrogs jumped out to a 42-0 lead at halftime against Polytechnic and Thompson (5-foot-8, 170 pounds) hardly carried the ball in the second half.

With the early lead against Polytechnic, Lake Worth kept the ball on the ground, and Ibrahim only threw five passes. But after falling behind early to Glen Rose on Friday, Ibrahim showed he can throw the ball when needed, connecting on 13 of 20 passes for 226 yards and four touchdowns. Three of the touchdown passes were of 16 yards or longer.

And Ibrahim (6-0, 170 pounds), who is being recruited by schools such as Tulsa, Louisiana Tech and Northwestern, added a new wrinkle to his game. Primarily a passer last season, Ibrahim hasn't been afraid to tuck the ball and take off running. Against Glen Rose, Ibrahim ran for 81 yards on nine carries, including a 21-yard touchdown run.

"I worked real hard on that during the off-season -- picking which holes to run in and where the holes will open up," Ibrahim said. "I've just tried to take advantage of that because I've got a real good offensive line this year."

The offense hasn't been the only shining spot for the Bullfrogs this season. Their defense has allowed only 82 yards per game on defense, which is the best in the area among Class 3A teams.

"Our defense helps us out a lot," Ibrahim said. "Our defense allows us to control the game and the tempo of the game. It's not just about our offense."

NateDawg39
09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I think once District starts things will change for Lake Worth. Sure they have the players but they are getting cocky already. The 2 teams they played are just warm up for Decatur and Bridgeport, they are going to burn Lake Worth.

lostaussie
09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
pretty impresive to fall behind 3 td's and score 53 unanswered, i don't care who you are.

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-07-2005, 11:27 PM
they will be good games natedawg, i make no mistake about it. im a humble man. before the season started i picked LW to have a final record of 6-4 or 6-4-1. if they do better than that, im happy. if they dont, there is always next year. but they will give each team a good game.

NateDawg39
09-08-2005, 12:46 AM
i just noticed that what i said may have come off rude and insulting.and i apolagize, but... i think Lake Worth players should keep there pride at a low until they prove they can play with the big dogs. Im talking Bridgeport, Decatur, Cuero and so on. ya know, the usual power houses. Oh and Sweetwater aswell:D , ever since i came to Abilene, i like to hear about them.

jmcgee
09-08-2005, 12:57 AM
is that the same glen rose swater played in the play-offs last year if it is i wouldnt be bragging on comming back on them. I would just keep quite so no one nottices that they had to come back on them.

NateDawg39
09-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Uhhhh that was last year partner. Different times different players and maybe a different outcome if Sweetwater played them again...maybe not.no i doubt it.

jmcgee
09-08-2005, 01:06 AM
i really really doubt it

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-08-2005, 03:07 AM
well if you remember back in 99 LW beat forney 41-35 in bi dist. and in 00 LW beat sweetwater in the area match up. last year LW beat bridgeport 21-20, in the last 10 years LW and decatur have been about 5-5 or so in the over all record playing each other. as much as i wish things would be kept low key, they are not. put yourself in the kids shoes...a reporter comed knocking on your door for an interview, what will you do? probably something similar to what they did. we will just have to wait and see what happens this year. i already told you what i think will happen.

GreenMonster
09-08-2005, 03:29 AM
It's a nice article. Hope that they can keep it up.