PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Update and History Lesson

AggieJohn
09-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Okay, so it's supposed to be the dead part of hurricane season, yet this is the current map
http://sirocco.accuweather.com/iwxpage/adc/popup/iws_tropical.jpg

Now, here's where it get's interesting, we currently have 3 out there and 4 waves, those last two waves could turn into depressions, which could turn into storms, which would make this next month very interesting.....

Here's the weird thing, they have six names left to declare as far as naming storms..... they are reused every six year for instance, this is what the last hurricane katrina did

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/hurricane/images/99histak.gif
to my knowledge no one knows what will happen in the event that they use

however i think that the name Katrina will be retired forever.....

Whenever a hurricane has had a major impact, any country affected by the storm can request that the name of the hurricane be "retired" by agreement of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Retiring a name actually means that it cannot be reused for at least 10 years, to facilitate historic references, legal actions, insurance claim activities, etc. and avoid public confusion with another storm of the same name. If that happens, a like gender name is selected in English, Spanish or French for Atlantic Storms.

There is an exception to the retirement rule, however. Before 1979, when the first permanent six-year storm name list began, some storm names were simply not used anymore. For example, in 1966, "Fern" was substituted for "Frieda," and no reason was cited.

Below is a list of Atlantic Ocean retired names, the years the hurricanes occurred, and the areas they affected. There are, however, a great number of destructive storms that occurred before hurricanes were first named in 1950, that are not included on this list.

Atlantic Storms Retired Into Hurricane History

Agnes (1972+*): Florida, Northeast U.S.
Alicia (1983*): North Texas
Allen (1980*): Antilles, Mexico, South Texas
Andrew (1992*): Bahamas, South Florida, Louisiana
Anita (1977): Mexico
Audrey (1957+*): Louisiana, North Texas
Betsy (1965+*): Bahamas, Southeast Florida, Southeast Louisiana
Beulah (1967*): Antilles, Mexico, South Texas
Bob (1991*): North Carolina & Northeast U.S.
Camille (1969+*): Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama
Carla (1961+*): Texas
Carmen (1974): Mexico, Central Louisiana
Carol (1954+*): Northeast U.S.
Celia (1970*): South Texas
Cesar (1996): Nicaragua
Charley (2004): Bahamas, Florida, Northeast U.S.
Cleo (1964*): Lesser Antilles, Haiti, Cuba, Southeast Florida
Connie (1955+): North Carolina
David (1979): Lesser Antilles, Hispaņola, Florida and Eastern U.S.
Diana (1990): Mexico
Diane (1955+*): Mid-Atlantic U.S. & Northeast U.S.
Donna (1960+*): Bahamas, Florida and Eastern U.S.
Dora (1964*): Northeast Florida
Dora (1964*): Northeast Florida
Edna (1968):
Eloise (1975*): Antilles, Northwest Florida, Alabama
Fifi (1974): Yucatan Peninsula, Louisiana
Flora (1963): Haiti, Cuba
Floyd (1999): North Carolina, eastern seaboard
Fran (1996): North Carolina
Frances (2004): Florida
Frederic (1979*): Alabama and Mississippi
Georges (1998): Puerto Rico, Cuba, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida
Gilbert (1988): Lesser Antilles, Jamaica, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Gloria (1985*): North Carolina, Northeast U.S.
Hattie (1961): Belize, Guatemala
Hazel (1954+*): Antilles, North and South Carolina
Hilda (1964+*): Louisiana
Hortense (1996): Caribbean, Puerto Rico
Hugo (1989*): Antilles, South Carolina
Inez (1966): Lesser Antilles, Hispanola, Cuba, Florida Keys, Mexico
Ione (1955*): North Carolina
Ivan (2004): Alabama, Eastern U.S., Texas
Janet (1955): Lesser Antilles, Belize, Mexico
Jeanne (2004): Puerto Rico, Florida, Northeast U.S.
Joan (1988): Curacao, Venezuela, Colombia, Nicaragua (Crossed into the Pacific and became Miriam)
Juan (2003): Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island
Klaus (1990): Martinique
Lenny (1999): Antilles
Luis (1995): Leeward Islands
Marilyn (1995): U.S. Virgin Islands
Mitch (1998): Central America, Nicaragua, Honduras
Opal (1995): Florida, Alabama
Roxanne (1995): Yucatan Peninsula

KEY
+Within the list of top 37 deadliest U.S. hurricanes
*Within the list of the top 31 costliest U.S. hurricanes (in 1990 dollars)
(Measurements only available through 1992 for storms that affected the U.S.)

NOTE:
"Carol" was used again to denote a hurricane in the mid-Atlantic Ocean in 1965. However, because the name does not appear after that time, it is assumed that the name was retired retrospectively for the damages caused by the 1954 storm of the same name.

Some of the most deadly and costly storms occurred before hurricanes were named and are not reflected in the list.

Also, katrina is considered to be already in the $50,000,000,000 region to recover

1 Andrew (SE FL, SE LA) August 1992 $20,300,000,000
2 Charley (FL, NC, SC) August 2004 $7,500,000,000
3 Ivan (AL, FL, GA, OH, PA, NY, NC, 8 other states) September 2004 $7,100,000,000
4 Hugo (USVI, PR, GA, NC, SC, VA) September 1989 $6,200,000,000
5 Frances (FL, GA, NC, NY, SC) September 2004 $4,600,000,000

injuredinmelee
09-07-2005, 04:02 PM
holy crap

sahen
09-07-2005, 04:21 PM
September is far from the dead part of hurricane season.....it is actually considered one of the peak months, Oct and Nov. are when Hurricane season starts dying off.....In contrast July-Sept. are the most active months, August the most active and Sept right behind it.....

bccards
09-07-2005, 04:37 PM
the peak of the hurricane season is Sept. 10

PhiI C
09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
I once did a study on hurricanes and the season lasts from June to November. Of course this was several years ago but I found that even though it was rare they have had hurricanes in June, July, October and November. The main two months were August and September with September having 1/3 more storms than August at the time of the study so September 10 is probably a fairly accurate date. Usually most them happened in the first 15 days in September. Remember this was a quick study and some history has happened since then. Usually when we get a fairly good cold front it cools the water down and there are no hurricanes that year but the risk is when we have a late winter.

sahen
09-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I once did a study on hurricanes and the season lasts from June to November. Of course this was several years ago but I found that even though it was rare they have had hurricanes in June, July, October and November. The main two months were August and September with September having 1/3 more storms than August at the time of the study so September 10 is probably a fairly accurate date. Usually most them happened in the first 15 days in September. Remember this was a quick study and some history has happened since then. Usually when we get a fairly good cold front it cools the water down and there are no hurricanes that year but the risk is when we have a late winter.
actually i think hurricane season begins may 10th....i could be wrong but i think i read that before.....other than that u sound pretty right...lately august has been more active than sept...i think

AggieJohn
09-07-2005, 10:45 PM
so apparently i need to research more

spiveyrat
09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
"Dead Part" of hurricane season???:confused:

As long as those Gulf waters are warm... there's a chance for a storm.

There's a rhyme for your rap, Gobbla. LOL!

District303aPastPlayer
09-08-2005, 07:58 AM
what i have heard about celia is that is cost, in todays dollars, alot more than what people realize

turbostud
09-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by sahen
actually i think hurricane season begins may 10th....i could be wrong but i think i read that before.....other than that u sound pretty right...lately august has been more active than sept...i think

Hurricane season runs from June 1st to Oct 31.

Phil C
09-08-2005, 08:32 AM
In my study and I don't remember the year but I check out the past 21 hurricanes of the past several years (remember this was in the good old days when you might have had one or two major hurricanes a year). In the study there was one in June, two in July, Six in August, Nine in September, 2 in October and one in November. The one in June was barely a category 1 hurrance, and the two in July were category 1 and 2. The large majority and most major ones were in August and September. The late ones in October were category 3 at the most but the one that hit late in November was category 4. The one that hit in November was when we had a later winter because a good cold front cools the water down and ends hurricane season.

sahen
09-08-2005, 11:04 AM
yes....and this year was messed up to begin w/...anyone remember how many storms we had in July? that was ridiculous....this is one of the more active years in the history of tracking these things.....

handNthedirt
09-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Coastal dwellers...find higher ground!!! Looks like it could get real hairy!