PDA

View Full Version : TAMU-CC to join Southland Conference...

Maroon87
09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Islanders accepted into Southland Conference
By John Allen / Caller-Times
September 7, 2005

After years of looking for a suitable home, the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi athletic program will join the Southland Conference for the 2006-07 sports season, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi school officials announced Wednesday.

In 2000, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi brought back its athletics programs. Since then, it has been building to NCAA Division I status and been looking for a conference to compete in.

Islanders president Flavius Kinnebrew and athletic director Dan Viola made a presentation to Southland Conference officials on June 3 and were named finalists -- along with Central Arkansas -- later that week.

In mid-July, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi hosted a site visit from the Southland Conference.That visit produced three concerns: the quality of on-campus facilities, the prospect of adding sports programs in the future and the ability to schedule events at the American Bank Center.

The Islanders sent responses to those concerns in late July and have been awaiting word from Southern Conference commissioner Tom Burnett since then.

The current members of the Southland Conference are: Lamar, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana, Stephen F. Austin, Texas-Arlington, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State. Louisiana-Monroe is leaving for the after the 2005-06 season.

Phil C
09-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Horay!! Good news indeed! :)

AggieJohn
09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
glad to know...whoop

SintonFan
09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Awesome!:clap:
Now let's bring back college football to Corpus Christi!

AggieJohn
09-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Awesome!:clap:
Now let's bring back college football to Corpus Christi!
that'll be a long way away, but maybe

MARLINDOGS
09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Wahooooooooooooo.:clap: :clap:

Hupernikomen
09-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Give em the axe big Jacks give em the axe!!

pirate44
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
that'll be a long way away, but maybe
nah, its more of a tennis and soccer town. leave football to the guys who know what theyre doing over in Kingsville.

AggieJohn
09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
ewwwh, could you imagine that, an annual A&M Corpus/A&M Kingsville match...we could call it the battle of the coastal bend

RiverRat19
09-07-2005, 03:42 PM
I wonder if CC getting FB was part of the deal for getting into the conference. It would be hard to imagine that they'd be in the conference w/o getting a FB team in the next 2 years.....

I hear that the campus and enrollment are booming with the Islanders. I know their Kinesiology head is a former HS/College FB coach.... might be the first candidate for HFBC??? I think he enjoys his present job too much however.

Maroon87
09-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, if they're going to add football, I hope they do it right and build them a stadium on or near campus. Can you imagine them playing their home games at Buc or Cabaniss?:eek:

sinton66
09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
What I heard is they are considering football, but don't think it's possible for about six years. If they do football, there will be a facility built on the campus from what I've heard.

gobblerfan02
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Well, if they're going to add football, I hope they do it right and build them a stadium on or near campus. Can you imagine them playing their home games at Buc or Cabaniss?:eek:

Well, I've heard that UTSA might be leaving Southland, putting in a bid for conference USA in 2008. Think they'll have a football team by then, already making plans for everything!

District303aPastPlayer
09-07-2005, 11:10 PM
UTSA football -- still undefeated

PhiI C
09-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Regarding football they need to have a stadium like Laredo. When we went to Laredo two years ago to play Zapata they had a great stadium with pleanty of parking and attendents that knew what they were doing. It was great. Last year when Zapata came to play us at Cabines I was ashamed because of the parking situation. The stadium was great as is Memorial Stadium but the parking at these two stadiums leave much to be desired. They need to have a stadium with adequate parking like Laredo and Texas A&M at Kingsville.

AggieJohn
09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Regarding football they need to have a stadium like Laredo. When we went to Laredo two years ago to play Zapata they had a great stadium with pleanty of parking and attendents that knew what they were doing. It was great. Last year when Zapata came to play us at Cabines I was ashamed because of the parking situation. The stadium was great as is Memorial Stadium but the parking at these two stadiums leave much to be desired. They need to have a stadium with adequate parking like Laredo and Texas A&M at Kingsville.
what about the stadium that all the 5A schools play at in corpus..what's it called, it's on leopard

District303aPastPlayer
09-08-2005, 12:09 AM
thats the Buc....

Cabiness is on Saratoga