PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood article on Wylie game

panther power
09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
The Steve Taylor era at Greenwood kicked off last Friday to some early mixed results in a 35-14 loss to defending Class 3A Division I state champion Abilene Wylie.

While Ranger fans would have preferred a much better outcome, they had to appreciate the fight Greenwood showed in the second half. Most teams that fall behind 14-0 before they could even put a significant drive together and 28-0 at the half would have folded under the circumstances.

It's a positive sign and it's going to be one for Taylor and his staff to build from as they continue their run through the District 4-3A murderer's row of Wylie, Sweetwater and Snyder over the next few weeks.

If the Rangers are to survive that gauntlet, they are going to have to eliminate mistakes, especially penalties. The Rangers were flagged 11 times, mostly for illegal participation infractions. It wasn't all pretty for the defending state champions either as the Bulldogs had 10 penalties of their own.

Other positives the Rangers can take out of the first game include:

-- Quarterback Colton Wilber showed improvement from last season and is expected to only get better. Remember, he's just a sophomore.

-- The Rangers displayed some depth in the backfield. Senior running back Justin Sebree was limited to a slight concussion but Bryce Williams and Michael Washington had some nice runs and showed capabilities of making some plays.

-- Logan Bawcom showed some nice punting abilities with some booming kicks. With an average of more than 43 yards per kick, he could be one of the most lethal punters in Class 3A.

The Rangers will be all right this season and once again should contend for the District 3-3A crown. But patience should be preached as the Rangers play a tough non-district schedule.

gibby
09-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Was it just me or did some of those calls seem ------------- uugh just wrong. Maybe it's me. Rangers at the Mustang bowl. That might be tough. SW had no passing game, but threw 9 for 10 and 138 yds? Guess they found one or SA Lakeview's secondary gave way. Rangers should be alittle better off size wise, but a D line playing tough would really help. Hell Snyder, Wylie and Sweetwater all wish that at least one of these teams were in a
differant district. There is no love lost between them. Good luck and play hard.

mustang04
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by gibby
Was it just me or did some of those calls seem ------------- uugh just wrong. Maybe it's me. Rangers at the Mustang bowl. That might be tough. SW had no passing game, but threw 9 for 10 and 138 yds? Guess they found one or SA Lakeview's secondary gave way. Rangers should be alittle better off size wise, but a D line playing tough would really help. Hell Snyder, Wylie and Sweetwater all wish that at least one of these teams were in a
differant district. There is no love lost between them. Good luck and play hard.

lemme let u in on a lil secret...sweetwater has had the potential for a passing game for the past 4-5 years, ever since i was a freshman...but we stuck with running cuz it got the job done w/ out the risk of interception, but yeah sweetwater will be passing more this year

Whsdogs
09-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
lemme let u in on a lil secret...sweetwater has had the potential for a passing game for the past 4-5 years, ever since i was a freshman...but we stuck with running cuz it got the job done w/ out the risk of interception, but yeah sweetwater will be passing more this year

sweetwater can pass and will as the year goes on but for now why not stick with one of the best young backfields in d2