PDA

View Full Version : Maybe another way to help the displaced Katrina folks

Old Cardinal
09-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Down in SE Texas we are swamped with refugees. A great humanitarian effort is underway as in many other places.
It occurred to me that if each church across Texas would take and truly "mentor" a family is would dispurse needy folks out over a wider geographic range and they would be easier to help.
They need job placement, basics, transportation, housing and ongoing caring/supportive people.
Many of the 3A classification towns are somewhat isolated; but able to absorb just a few famlies. That would be a great aid to those areas that are swamped with refugees.
SUGGESTION: See if your church or city would like to sponsor just one family into your geographic area. If so, just call any church of your preference in Orange or Jefferson county are any
where along the I-10 corridor and ask if they can give you a family to sponsor.

Old Green
09-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Great idea Old Cardinal. Some of the churches here in the Victoria area are doing that. Everyone needs to help.

Old Cardinal
09-05-2005, 09:43 PM
To Old Green: Someone at Bridge City came up with the idea to invite(for free) all of the Displaced Folks in the whole area to the Liberty vs BC ballgame Friday night. The churches and individuals provided transportation to & from the ballgame. It gave the local churches a chance to do a little extra cleanup of their family worship centers and fellowship halls where many storm victims now reside.
Any brainstorming to try to make this tragic situation a little more eased is really important. I would think that booster clubs could arrange for the refugees to get to HS games all across the state.

Old Green
09-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I read where some Booster clubs in the area are doing just that.

At church yesterday , they threw a big party for one of the evacuee's and and all the kids recieved presents, school supplies, and clothing. Most said they were not going back to N.O. The caring heart and Texas hospitality has really impressed them about the Coastal Bend.

Old Cardinal
09-05-2005, 10:10 PM
I have never been to Cuero but it sure sounds like a nice place.

lepfan
09-05-2005, 10:27 PM
A lot of churches from Oklahoma have offered up their cabins @ Falls Creek. (this is a Baptist church camp/retreat site) Some are even stocking the cabinets with food and leaving a bit of cash!

http://www.bgco.org/?p={57F338A6-2B68-47B7-9AD0-3583FE4931D5}&sc=16&ni=513&fr=home

Dang it it did not link the article...it ya want to read it you will have to scroll down to the news part on the right.

I am sure there are a lot of weekend homes and sites like the above mentioned one that we could "host" a family or families.

Wichita will be getting some evacuees on Monday also...I just don't see them coming to my neck of the woods just yet.

wannabgobbler08
09-05-2005, 10:33 PM
There are suppose to be 11 families moving into Cuero from N.O.

44INAROW
09-05-2005, 10:38 PM
some of the ladies from my church (First United Methodist) were making "care bags" with a face cloth, wash cloth, soap, razor, toiletries etc to be handed out to the people as they arrived. Just the simple things that will mean so much. We remember all too well the devastation from flooding and are happy to be able to contribute in any way possible.

crabman
09-05-2005, 10:42 PM
My daughter works at Reed Arena at A&M. They have 220 refugees on the floor of Reed sleeping on cots. About 30 of them have left to be reunited with their families at other shelters. One woman has become separated from her baby. They located it at a shelter in Lubbock. My daughter says everyone has been extremely nice and well mannered. She has a Corp of Cadets member assigned to her full time. He is at her side as long as she is at Reed. It makes me feel good but it has not been needed.
Plans are being made now to absorb them into the community, hook them up with churches, or allow them to return to New Orleans if they want.
The population of New Orleans used to be 500,000. I'll bet it doesn't hit 150,000 after this. How do you reopen a business when you don't know what your customer base is? There is a lot to digest still.

X Man
09-05-2005, 11:05 PM
The problem with taking a family into your home, is that the family automatically lose their refugee benefits! A friend of mine recently found this out. He has 2 families that are coming to his house to cook and wash, let the kids out to play and such, but have to sllep at the shelter or lose any benefits. After losing literally everything, these families cannot afford to lose the benefits they are given at this time. So, visit a shelter, and offer your home to these people, in this manner. It's a great idea and way to help them. My niece (in Bridge City, Old Cardiac) is literally worn to a frazzle from taking care of the refugees at her Bridge City church.

spiveyrat
09-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by lepfan

Wichita will be getting some evacuees on Monday also...

About 1800, I hear.

Old Dog
09-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Lots of folks opening doors for LA folks to move in. DeLeon, TX is reopeoning a recently closed care facility for displaced persons, the Presbyterian Church is opening their camps at John Knox Ranch near Wimberley and Mo Ranch near Kerrville. These are great gestures and I know there are many more.

JasperDog94
09-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm hearing stories like these from all over the country. It's great to see churches of all denominations reaching out to help people.:)

Rabbit'93
09-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Several Baptist camps have open the gates in North Texas. A church here in Forney is housing close to 300 in the gym.

Rabbit'93
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Old Cardinal
09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
It ia really gratifying to hear of all the good reports on the actions of the faith community across the state and nation! If you hear of churches in small towns that mentor/sponsor an individual family let me know..

handNthedirt
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
church near me in NE DFW has taken in approximately 200 hurrican refugees...when I went to get coffee earlier, there were people sleeping in the front office of the high school, not on cots, but in chairs...obviously, not a regular occurance.

lepfan
09-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by X Man
The problem with taking a family into your home, is that the family automatically lose their refugee benefits! A friend of mine recently found this out. He has 2 families that are coming to his house to cook and wash, let the kids out to play and such, but have to sllep at the shelter or lose any benefits. After losing literally everything, these families cannot afford to lose the benefits they are given at this time. So, visit a shelter, and offer your home to these people, in this manner. It's a great idea and way to help them. My niece (in Bridge City, Old Cardiac) is literally worn to a frazzle from taking care of the refugees at her Bridge City church.

Would the church camps count? I would hope not. Now they are saying the floodwater is contaminated with e-coli. Another right hook.

West22
09-06-2005, 09:29 PM
OLD CARDNAL I WENT TO LATHAM SPRINGS BABTIST RETREAT NEAR WACO TODAY TO SEE ABOUT DONATIONS .THEY WERE EXPECTING LIKE 500 TO COME, BUT BY TODAY ONLY A FEW HAD TRICKLED IN SO FOR .THEY PROBABLY HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM FOR MORE PEOPLE IF ANYONE NEEDS PLACE TO STAY.THEY HAVE FOOD AND SHELTER .