PDA

View Full Version : LA Players in Texas

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 01:38 PM
SO has anyones respecitive schools opened up for players from LA yet? Im just curious to see if anyone has picked any of them, and where there at...who knows we might be playing them.

sinton66
09-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I think they are just now getting the kids registered in the Texas schools. It will take a couple of weeks to get the paperwork filled out that is required by the UIL.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Well hopefully things will work out we'll get to see some new players in the upcoming weeks...how crazy would it be if a player from LA was on the state championship team......lol

piratebg
09-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Well originally I thought that the LA refugees would stay in east Texas, but several hundred have made it down to Corpus Christi. Portland is making preparations to house about a hundred or more tomorrow, so several gulf coast school could see some new additions.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Wow....Corpus Christi is a ways away from the border...i wonder why they're going so far west...its probably becuz of the housing oppurtunity....heck my family should put up a dil saying that we could house people, we might get a football player to stay with us :D that'd be pretty cool

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 01:55 PM
they're going everywhere. dallas is housing them at reunion arena and the dallas convention center. i heard mckinny had 1000 come in saturday. someone i work with just gave up his rental house in Pilot Point for a family. gov. perry is already asking other states to take some. the news reported that davis,ok has a few hundred coming up there.

the one question i have is how this will affect the count for the realignment in feb.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 01:58 PM
i dont know, i dont think it will affect it much, because the majority of these people are not going to be permanent residents, so the UIL will keep tabs on it and only base it on people who are official residents of w/e town.

Ranger05
09-05-2005, 02:04 PM
somebody told me we know have 37 families in the midland hilton

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 02:06 PM
What i wanna know is what happens when a family arrives, has no where to stay and cant afford to get a hotel.....do the hotels allow them to stay for free, or are they just on the road and sleeping at truck stops?

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
i dont know, i dont think it will affect it much, because the majority of these people are not going to be permanent residents, so the UIL will keep tabs on it and only base it on people who are official residents of w/e town.

how long does someone have to live at a place before they are considered residents? this could go well into the next few years for some people.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
how long does someone have to live at a place before they are considered residents? this could go well into the next few years for some people.

I have no idea, if a family is staying with a host family, i dont think they are going to be counted as "residents" but if they have a house/appartment or w/e then they'll be counted, even though its really up to the governor and the countys legislature im sure.

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2005, 02:16 PM
There's no telling where all the displaced LA people will end up. I know that Reese AFB is setting up to house up to 1500, if they've not already arrived. The hospital in Crosbyton had some empty beds, so they have taken a number of patients. The nursing home in Floydada has taken on some LA nursing home patients. I know you're asking about athletes - I presume they could land anywhere in the state.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 02:19 PM
i wonder if Dyess could take up any extra people, i dont know if they have any extra room, but i think all military bases that have extra rooms/bed/anything should be some of the first to offer their help to families.

Keith7
09-05-2005, 02:22 PM
they're going everywhere. dallas is housing them at reunion arena and the dallas convention center. i heard mckinny had 1000 come in saturday. someone i work with just gave up his rental house in Pilot Point for a family. gov. perry is already asking other states to take some. the news reported that davis,ok has a few hundred coming up there.

the one question i have is how this will affect the count for the realignment in feb.

There are roughly 200 staying at the Old hospital in Gainesville

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 02:30 PM
well even though tragedy has struck and lots of damage has done, you know what all the major retailers around town are thinking right......most of them are probably going well this month is gonna be huge, lots of new folks, lets jack up prices....so i'd be on the lookout for stores to raise prices on everything from toilet paper to green beans.

Pmoney
09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
it will take awhile for all the forms for UIL to go through so if the players get an acceptance it will be half way through the season i think....could be earlier

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
There are roughly 200 staying at the Old hospital in Gainesville

seeing that it's not the gainesville hospital now, they have a good chance of living

theyoefnshow
09-05-2005, 03:02 PM
in the Austin American Statesman they had a feature on a highly looked at by D1 schools receiver who has moved in to Manor w/ his cousin's family. Joseph was either his first or last name I don't remember. Anyways, he was looking at either Manor (uh oh for Dist. 19!) or the 4A school that beat Taylor this past Friday night.

Old Tiger
09-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I hear that Rockdale is getting 3 people from LA but they are not football players I don't think.

NateDawg39
09-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Decatur expects around 200-300 to come into wise county.Already 60 or so in Decatur

sinton66
09-05-2005, 03:57 PM
There were several interviewed on the local news last night, and they said they had no intentions of returning to La, rebuilt or not. This will be a decision all displaced people will have to make sooner or later. The important thing right now is that they are safe, fed, and healthy. The "what are you going to do about this or that" questions will have to wait a bit.

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
There were several interviewed on the local news last night, and they said they had no intentions of returning to La, rebuilt or not. This will be a decision all displaced people will have to make sooner or later. The important thing right now is that they are safe, fed, and healthy. The "what are you going to do about this or that" questions will have to wait a bit.

we all agree that the health and safety of the people come first, we was just trying to look a little into the future.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 05:24 PM
well whoever we come across from LA we gotta make sure that we give them a true texas welcome, and get them to go to atleast one Friday night game, just to show them what its like!!!

piratebg
09-05-2005, 05:28 PM
And here I was thinking a true Texas welcome involved a 6-pack of Shiner, a roll of quarters, and a mechanical bull.

HighSchool Fan
09-05-2005, 05:33 PM
in the next 30 minutes one of our drivers from new orleans will be here in the office. we've got 7 drivers from N.O., so far we've heard from 4 of them. the 4 we've talked to has lost everything. 3 of them has gone to memphis to work for us and 1 has relocated to lewisville. what do you tell someone that has lost everything he's worked his whole life for?? any ideas??

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
what do you tell someone that has lost everything he's worked his whole life for?? any ideas??

The only comfort that I can think is that he still has the most important thing and that is his life. Luckily for him, he also still has his job. There are many who do not.

SnyTigBaseB07
09-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
And here I was thinking a true Texas welcome involved a 6-pack of Shiner, a roll of quarters, and a mechanical bull.

haha that comes after the football game

:D

dman79eagles
09-06-2005, 08:26 AM
my mom went to see if she could get a family to bring to her house..u know..to help out some because she has like 3 or 4 extra rooms...the state wouldnt allow her in to get a family..she got pretty upset:(

AP Panther Fan
09-06-2005, 08:36 AM
I heard that even Port Aransas (1a) has received about 150 evacuees to their community center.:thinking:

Phil C
09-06-2005, 08:43 AM
we all agree that the health and safety of the people come first, we was just trying to look a little into the future.

I certainly agree with you there High. At the same time this is going to have to be discussed in the future. A lot of of the kids in Texas have trained and worked all their life for a possible state championship and the school that gets great athletes from LA may displace them and negate all those years of hard work and planning. This isn't the time to analyze this but it will come. And it just isn't football that is affected but it will no doubt be other sports both boys and girls. For example if WO-S wins the state championship this year there will always be the question would they have won it anyway or did the LA transfers give them the edge to do it. I know we are concerned first with the victims but this question has to come soon and perhaps over the next several years. We can't bury our heads in the sand and ignore it.

Phil C
09-06-2005, 08:45 AM
From what I have heard it seems there is already some "recruiting" going on.

JasperDog94
09-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
From what I have heard it seems there is already some "recruiting" going on. :eek: :eek: What? Say it isn't so...:rolleyes: ;)

Phil C
09-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:eek: :eek: What? Say it isn't so...:rolleyes: ;)

Remember it is just heresay! :D